997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Long Report: 997.2 C4S FVD Brombacher Exhaust (on the track). Full system Installed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 03:20 PM
sayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond repute
Long Report: 997.2 C4S FVD Brombacher Exhaust (on the track). Full system Installed.

Headers, 200 cell cats, side mufflers.

Full system info on mfg site: http://shop.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/9...Forwarding_no/

At idle a gentle deep purr, rising with load and RPM's to the sound of a Cup Car. The upper end of the rev range, especially with some load is pure auditory heroin. So far every person that has heard it through the full rev range has commented it is the best exaust sound they have ever heard.

The video was the first shot using my new Race-Keeper system and I had two loose data cables (fault of the installer, me, not the system) hence the sometimes jitters and sometimes mismatch of data and sound/video. Will fix that and post a couple more vids.

Reno-Fernley Raceway, road course, "Test&Tune" $100 all day, support your local track!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xAzJAi8k2s
and the whole track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVmCratS0BY

And four drive-bys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfBxJa3U1vI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZejb0rkxV0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR7eGapnSco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnKhjfvfwLQ

I did the install myself with the car on the ground. Not recommended for the faint of heart, but it can certainly be done if you have the tools and some time.

The quality and look of the FVD Brombacher exhaust system is amazing. The connectors are extremely high-quality The welds are very well done, the look inside shows the care to blend in and smooth the gas flow path. The outside finish is like a piece of jewelery.

Power delivery is very linear, there is a dyno graph on FVD's site and by seat of the pants I don't doubt it. Some exhaust systems kill bottom end torque to get high-rpm power which makes no sense to me for a street car.

I ran four Dynolicious before/after runs using launch control, under near identical ambient conditions and they confirmed FVD's power increase claims.

I also weighed the FVD system and it was .5 lb less than their claim. So, I am convinced in a market of sometimes very questionable power claims, the FVD folks are 100% honest.

The fact is FVD Brombacher exhausts are designed and manufactured by M&M in Germany. And they build the systems that go on the majority of Porsche race cars. The experience shows.

Finally, Rhonda, FVD's rep here in the USA is "A #1" in service and she knows her products intimately. Every step of the purchase experience has been handled with care and integrity.

She can customize the sound loudness to your preference. There is NO DRONE or resonance under any conditions. My system is "Jeckyl&Hyde". At idle, and on the highway at 70 mph, it is very quiet in the cabin. Like stock db's but a bit deeper. But on your way to WOT, the gates of hell open and anybody for a 1/2 mile around will think a race car just got onto the road.

Caveats:
1. Upon a cold start (sitting overnight), the engine management system is doing something to help fire off the cats for emission purposes. My thought is it is using VarioCam to hold the exhaust valves open longer or sooner to dump some heat into the cats, and in the 5 seconds-1 minute this is occurring, the idle on this system is loud (sounds like a Cup car idle). At any other time idle is very quiet and civilized. You will notice even the stock exhaust is LOUD upon a cold start.

2. I am getting a CEL after a hour or so of steady-state hiway driving, specifically P0421/P0431 (after CAT oxygen sensor). This CEL has ZERO effect on the mapping or driveability of the engine. It is simply a notification that the ECU sees a reading not expected in regards to the CAT exit gasses. For me the solution will be installing FVD's soon to be released, self-installed, ECU software. Which will also unlock more power gains.

**Dec 10th update- FVD ECU flash review posted at RennList: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...sh-report.html. It's great!**

My local dealer saw the system, is totally friendly towards mods, and loves it, and in fact offered to install it for me. They also did a "track" alignment as much as allowed by the stock suspension pieces- 1 degree neg camber (maxed out) front/ 2.5 degree neg rear. Not ideal but the tires are wearing evenly across the tread surface after two full tanks of gas worth of track time on a bumpy track with rough pavement. Reno Porsche service dept is awesome in every way- thanks guys!

Those with less friendly dealers, fearing warranty issues, I ask you: Who owns your car? Do whatever the F you please, yes? Take off the panties, grab your ***** and understand if you don't abuse your car it will give you years of trouble free service. Abuse= running hard before oil comes up to temp, driving it once a month for five miles like grandma, running it out of oil.

BTW- The C4S, espicially with Sport PASM is a freakin' hoot on the track. A supercharged Lotus Exige on racing slicks and I were running neck and neck for 20 minutes. If you don't get a track license and give these cars a work-out, you have NO IDEA what you are missing. This is what "Sport Plus" button was made for! The PDK downshift blips at 4-5000 RPM are fantastic and the upshifts are so fast, yet smooth. Be sure to get high-quality instruction first. Porsche Sport Driving School is superb. A local school will get you up and running, but without the Porsche specific driving tecniques.

In summary: The FVD Brombacher full exhaust system is not for everybody. If all you care about is loudness and cheapest, there are better suited alternatives. If you don't want to sacrifice low-end torque and seek a smooth, linear power increase across the powerband with CUP car WOT sound yet civilized with good tonal quality and no resonance at lower RPM's and superb build-quality then this system is for you. I feel I received excellent value for the money spent.

This is my email to Rhonda after I installed it:

"Rhonda,

This system is fricken' crazy! Love it!

Delivered yesterday. So I got up early this AM and tackled the install. Pretty straight-forward, plenty of adjustment for fit. Sturdy mounting. Superb quality.

Fired it up about seven hours later, inside the garage, and thought oh-boy (loud), because of enclosed area and the 997.2 lights-off with a very ragged idle when cold. After a couple minutes it settled down (and quieted down) and I backed it out and it was actually only a tad louder than stock. Drove long enough to warm it up and then hit the fun pedal. Holy cow...birds flew, children screamed, old people threw their walkers to the side and ran in terror. What a hoot.

Stopped by the post office... the local Porsche (BMW/Volvo) dealer is on the side as I drive out. A few salesmen were on the lot with customers and when I hit WOT (driving 600 feet away on the main road), EVERYBODY froze and spun around on their heels to see what the hell was driving past. I need to go back and collect my commission, as I know that sold some cars :-)"

Pics:

Attached Images      

Last edited by sayboy; 12-10-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:22 PM
sayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond repute
More pics:

Attached Images      
Old 11-01-2009, 03:26 PM
even more pics

Attached Images    
Old 11-01-2009, 05:54 PM
7Speed is on a distinguished road
Nice video's!!!!

Old 11-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by 7Speed
Nice video's!!!!
Thank you! However if I had properly connected my OBD II/CAN bus input and thumbdrive for data storage, they would have been REALLY good! haha.

More next week...

Old 11-01-2009, 06:18 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Great post - sounds mean. I love Reno-Fernley - ran it in May in the 24 Hours of LeMons. Crazy fun.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:53 AM
ZoSo_DXB is on a distinguished road
WOW.....

That sounds really really good ! i bet it even sounds much nicer in person...

Congrats on the exhaust

Old 11-02-2009, 02:59 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Awesome write up and I agree with you on every point. The full FVD system is amazing. zero drone. full linear power . fantastic quality ,choice of sound level --it's a home run !!!!

I enjoyed the clips .

Old 11-02-2009, 05:03 AM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Awesome write up and I agree with you on every point. The full FVD system is amazing. zero drone. full linear power . fantastic quality ,choice of sound level --it's a home run !!!!

I enjoyed the clips .
Coming from the "Mod King", this is high praise indeed!

Thanks Larry! And have you decided to attend PSDS yet???? I hear they have a seat with your name on it!

Old 11-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
Wow those PDK shifts sound great. Nice and fast. I bet the downshifts sound fantastic in person.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
Sayboy,

Wow! What a contribution to fellow 6 speeders! It is so nice to hear that we underpromised and overdelivered.

I am so happy that you are thrilled with the system.

I have very good new's for you on the software front. We are ready to ship the cable out to flash your car!! We will make an official announcement by the end of the week but I wanted to let you know.

Thanks so much for your detailed write up!
Rhonda

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

Old 11-03-2009, 08:25 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
very nice write up. and the sound is perfect. enjoy in good health

Old 12-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
Sayboy,

Just wanted to touch base with you to see how you are enjoying the software now. Hope all is well.

Rhonda

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

Old 12-09-2009, 01:02 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Well done. Exhaust sounds awesome.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:42 PM
krown05 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

WOW, I'm speechless as to how good the FVD sounds on your C4S. INCREDIBLE! Thanks for the write up!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Long Report: 997.2 C4S FVD Brombacher Exhaust (on the track). Full system Installed.