997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

White Smoke & The Dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:14 PM
PersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of light
White Smoke -UPDATE New Motor w/ Paper work & Videos

whats up guys, every now and then when I start my car, a CLOUD of thick white smoke comes out the exhaust pipes, along with many rattles and noises in the car, and a few other issues, I took the car into DT LA MOTORS PORSCHE today.

1st Id like to say how funny it is, when your service adviser trys to get out of anything it can...

my front LED lights were 2 diffrent shades, so 1st she tells me I have some type of yellow film on 1 of the housings so its a diffrent shade, and that they are the same bulbs on both sides so they cant be diffrent shades...so I turn the lights off and say look at it now are the housings diffrent shades? is there a yellow film on 1? then she goes on and says theyrs not enough light in the area were standing so she cant see...lol

next she tried to blame every rattle, every noise, everything possible on my car being lowered and having after market wheels... my visor rattles (your cars lowered) my dirver mirror makes a whistle noise (your cars lowered) , under neath my steering wheel theres a loud rattle ( your cars lowered) bla bla bla etc etc

so the real major problem that Made me go to the dealer was alll the white smoke coming out the exhaust, shes saying that my car has too much oil in it, and its going into my intake this and that , and thats whats causing the white smoke ... so she wants me to pay for an oil/filter change to fix the problem....wtf?

has anybody else here with the 997.2 had the same problem with thick white smoke at start up? how did you fix the problem? My engine is not modified btw...

any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated
Thanks

Last edited by PersianGodFatha; 11-05-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:43 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
It might be worth going through the expense of an oil change just to call their bluff. If it goes away, then you'll have a pretty good idea what the cause was. But, if the oil change does not cure your white smoke problem then you can look them in the eye and ask, "now what, genius?". Plus I'd say they'd owe you the cost of the oil change for the misdiagnosis.

Is there any smell asociated with this white smoke? I mean, is everyone 100% sure it's oil burning off and not some other fluid? Other stuff like engine coolant can produce white smoke coming from a cracked head or bad head gasket.

Hope it's a simple fix, whatever it is.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
Damn dude. That's not cool at all. First thing is goto Beverly Hills Porsche instead. My friend says they're great and mod friendly.

I can tell you the smoke is not normal, either is the led color being off. Don't stand for that BS. I got treated like trash at a Philly dealer DON ROSEN IMPORTS, who I bought 2 cars from in cash, and their service guys were just as ignorant. and will never see another DIME from me again.

Don't stand for that, get that Stunna fixed.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:52 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Morning start white smoke can be many things, but a common one with boxer engines is sudden engine stop/cooling coming from spirited driving. Try to slow down for a few miles before you park the car for the day and let it idle for a couple of minutes, before shutting it off. It usually helps boxer engines, unless there's something else major.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
Also when was your last service? Are you overdue or anything like that?

Old 02-16-2010, 01:56 PM
PersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of light
so a little update, the led lght will be replaced "its discolored"

the white smoke smells VERY VERY BAD, smells toxic, get a sick feeling if you happen to breathe in a little bit...

I havnt had to do service yet, My cars coming up on 5000 miles soon

I usually go to Beverly Hills Porsche and they are mod friendly... My office is in Downtown so It was easier to drop it by here...

prob the last time ill take it to DT LA PORSCHE...

Old 02-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by adias
Morning start white smoke can be many things, but a common one with boxer engines is sudden engine stop/cooling coming from spirited driving. Try to slow down for a few miles before you park the car for the day and let it idle for a couple of minutes, before shutting it off. It usually helps boxer engines, unless there's something else major.

good call, that could be VERYYY possible...Ill look into that

Old 02-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting that the dealer would not want to work on your car under warranty as that's how they make a good deal of their money. Have you spoken to the Manager ? Must have given you his/card when you bought the car. Could be you got a a rookie service tech. If you're not getting service I 'd take Scott997's advice and try another dealer. Service guys make money servicing cars and the head guy doesn't care whose car they service or for what reason. Turning away customers sounds like a quick trip to the unemployment line to me.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:22 PM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
Definately if the oil is filled to high can cause that, and "accelerated" should you take some high speed G-turns before shutting it off. As-was-mentioned, let the car sit 1min before turning it off. (There used-to-be a replacment item that could fix it, but may have been limited to the 996's). My 04' 996 C4S did that when new and the dealer overfilled it. Came out of the left pipe.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:53 PM
so the oil level was high and oil got into the oilfilter, she says thats whats causing the smoke, I asked if replacing the oilfilter and oil would make the smoke stop....she said it might have caused damage, so she cant be too sure (leaving room for more BS incase it dosnt help) .... I guess ill have to pay the $285 and see what happens...fu*k I hate some dealerships

Last edited by PersianGodFatha; 02-16-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:02 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Oil overfilling seems to be epidemic. Folks, it's better to have the oil level in the middle of the range than over the top!

Old 02-16-2010, 03:45 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
I must be the dumbest guy on this thread; if it has too much oil drain out a quart, wash your hands, and see what happens.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:41 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
OT: Did you used to have sweet alabaster white E55?

Old 02-16-2010, 05:37 PM
type997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by PersianGodFatha
so the oil level was high and oil got into the oil filter
I might have to join tejoe and be a dumb a$$ ?
But isn't oil supposed to get "into" the oil filter?

Why is the dealer blaming you for the oil level being too high? Did you add oil or change it yourself? It is the dealers problem if they delivered the car with too much oil in the engine.

Also, according to a Porsche Tech I know the 997.2 was designed with the oil filter on top of the engine so oil can flow out when not running. This prevents oil from constantly saturating the filter. I'm not following your dealers answer at all?

Old 02-16-2010, 06:38 PM
avmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to all
Originally Posted by PersianGodFatha
my driver mirror makes a whistle noise
My passenger mirror did that. Dealer replaced it. Mirror looks identical, whistle gone...

Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: White Smoke & The Dealer