997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Continental ExtremeContact DW Tires - Anyone try?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 11:38 AM
shuffles will become famous soon enough
Continental ExtremeContact DW Tires - Anyone try?

Hi guys starting to look for tires for my 4S. I just noticed these pop up on tirerack, must be recent. Before the only reasonably priced option was the Hankook V12's, but I've read extensively on this board and others very polarized comments

So, not sure about the hankook's, but not feeling too happy about spending $2k+ on PS2's either, so these conti's seem reasonable for < $1k on tirerack. Any experience out there with these on p-cars?

Old 07-05-2010, 11:45 AM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Don't know about the continentals but another lower cost alternative that people seem to like is the Sumitomo htrzIII

Old 07-05-2010, 01:22 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I am not a believer in buying the cheapest tire for a car like a 997, however you have to look at your driving and find what is going to give you the best return.

If I were buying tires, of the ones mentioned so far, I would buy in order

Hankook
Continental
Sumitomo

Old 07-05-2010, 06:16 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
I've posted a few times here and at RL about the new Conti DWS. Not sure about the DW, but the DWS is truly a "wundertire". Look not just at the ratings, but the test results and you'll be pretty amazed. Heck, even the DWS all season pretty much is right there with the PS2.

And how they are selling these at the prices they are is a mystery. Once I put the DWS on my 330i I was a believer and I'll be using the DWS in the future until a new "uber-wundertire" comes out.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:01 PM
shuffles will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the responses. This is my first replacement set of tires since I've owned the car, and I do plan on keeping it for a while. So, my logic is: Since I will inevitably change the tires 3-4 times over the next few years that I own the car, I owe it to myself to try out a lower price option. I'm not terribly wealthy and $1k extra for PS2's can make the difference between a weekend trip with me and the wife in Palm Springs or staying home that weekend. So, I could either hate myself for 6 months and replace the tire, and essentially lose 60% of the value of the tire remaining (so lose $600) on a 1 time gamble, or I can save $1k for the next 3-4 years if the tire works great for my normal street driving.

So, only question now is do I try the Sumo's, the Hankooks, or these Conti's? Kind of leaning towards Conti's for reasons listed above (the reviews and ratings are pretty good). If I hate them, I will go back to PS2's and STFU for ever about them!
If I do go with the Conti's I will certainly write up about them, maybe take a special trip somewhere with twisty roads for the weekend with the money I saved!

Old 07-05-2010, 10:27 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Please report back after you run with them for a while!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:02 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
+1
I'm considering the DWS as well, due to price, brand and thread(ware too). So far, I've read feedback from Beemer owners, not so much P-cars.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:56 PM
mgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to all
I'm not familiar with this specific model and/or with Continental on a Porsche, but have used Continental before on other cars with very nice results.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:15 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
I'm a Porsche guy with 2 Porsches and 1 BMW and I wouldn't hesitate to put the Conti DWS on any of my cars especially if a daily driver in cold climates.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:11 AM
jss67 is on a distinguished road
I've got the Conti DWS and have zero complaints with them so far.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:21 AM
cbzzoom is an unknown quantity at this point
I haven't seen much about the DWS , but the Continental ContiSportContact 3 and 5P have just been dominating tire tests. (edit : oh, I see the ExtremeContact DW is the version of the CSC 3 for the US market; the 5P is even better in the dry but I guess we can't get it yet)

Good collection of various tire tests here :

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

of course Hankook is also killing in tests and nobody seems to believe that either.

Last edited by cbzzoom; 07-07-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:48 AM
Flunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura about
I just put the conti extreme contacts on my 911 tt and am very impressed!!! I had PZero Nero's on and was not only about to wait 6 wks for them but really didnt want to spend over 2000 for them... this is my daily driver and not a track car... anyway, i can tell u i do drive pretty hard at times and like to push the car through turns and these tires take a little more time to heat up but once they due they ride just as well as the p zero's... just my opinion...

Old 09-06-2010, 06:22 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
just a quick note on the conti line. I got the DWS for my wife's car and it got a puncture flat within the first two weeks. Would you believe that conti has it's own replacement warranty!?!?
They sent her a new tire for free.
That is very nice to know that conti has your back. The warranty is as good as the Tirerack's hazard warranty. So far the DWS is very refined and has good grip. It is much softer riding than I expected and is smooth and quiet. Compared to her Michelin pilot all seasons, you lose a bit of steering response and they squeal more while cornering.
It has not snowed yet, so I can't comment there!

Old 09-06-2010, 08:49 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JohnM
just a quick note on the conti line. I got the DWS for my wife's car and it got a puncture flat within the first two weeks. Would you believe that conti has it's own replacement warranty!?!?
They sent her a new tire for free.
That is very nice to know that conti has your back. The warranty is as good as the Tirerack's hazard warranty. So far the DWS is very refined and has good grip. It is much softer riding than I expected and is smooth and quiet. Compared to her Michelin pilot all seasons, you lose a bit of steering response and they squeal more while cornering.
It has not snowed yet, so I can't comment there!
Conti's are excellent tires. Not sure why they get a bum rape on these forums. The DWS is not really th tire for a 997 but the Conit Sport3's for the 997 are very good tires.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:08 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mdrums
Conti's are excellent tires. Not sure why they get a bum rape on these forums. The DWS is not really th tire for a 997 but the Conit Sport3's for the 997 are very good tires.
still it`s kinda odd to see folks comparing hankooks (i assume r-s3 which are summer only r-comps like) and conti`s dsw - those are totally different tires. DD car probably would go well on almost any tires and dsw would probably make a great all-round choice.

i will try next season to put r-s3 in 245/295 on my 8/10" rims. will see how it will feel, right now feel on stock 235/265 PA2 tires after my 265/335 r-comps is like night and day and requires different sway bar setup to limit oversteer, i do not like it at all...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Continental ExtremeContact DW Tires - Anyone try?