997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Heart transplant underway -- my 2010 S gets X51

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 12:07 PM
DÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant future
Heart transplant underway -- my 2010 S gets X51

The X51 power kit from Suncoast arrived at my dealer (Porsche San Diego) yesterday. I got great deals all around -- thanks Ryan! I went with the new service manager (Larry Suarez replaced Shaun Puno (who will be missed), who opened boxes with me, like a kid at christmas.

There is the carbon fiber air box, new intake manifold complete with new valves and injectors and then the exhaust manifold. I decided to do this without the PSE as I have an AWE exhaust and center muffler delete and it sounds great.

I will post pictures when the engine is out and on a stand; I also get to keep the old parts, particularly the intake manifold and valves -- which, for Adias's sake will be photographed extensively to document what if any carbon deposits are present. I am VERY curious since this is a DFI motor with 26K miles on it in 2 years -- very light track work and good daily miles, never rev'd prior to appropriate warmup (Oil temp rise) then good revs at noon or more on the highway (the Italian Job if you get the meaning). The oil used is Torco SR-5 and no other additives to the fuel (as it wouldn't help downstream anyway).

I will also have lots of add on parts for sale: Fabspeed CAI and IPD plenum.

I will post pics as available.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Sly Tuna is on a distinguished road
Cant wait to see it. Whats the reason for Puno leaving?

Old 05-04-2012, 01:16 PM
mb230s is on a distinguished road
Curious what Porsche of San Diego thinks about Suncoast's pricing?

I ran into the same thing with MBs here in Chicago. The downtown dealer would mark-up items SEVERAL hundred percent over what I could get parts for from MB dealers that wanted the parts business and catered to enthusiasts like myself. I approached the service manager about this a couple times. They wouldn't budge. Not only lost the parts business but I was even less likely to ever go there for service.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:41 PM
DÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant futureDÜnkleblau S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Sly Tuna
Cant wait to see it. Whats the reason for Puno leaving?
Not sure, but he single handedly saved my first impression of Porsche (had a few problems with my car off the showroom floor, and this is my first Porsche)

I will miss him, as he was first and foremost a customer advocate and an all around very decent guy

Old 05-04-2012, 02:09 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mb230s
Curious what Porsche of San Diego thinks about Suncoast's pricing?

I ran into the same thing with MBs here in Chicago. The downtown dealer would mark-up items SEVERAL hundred percent over what I could get parts for from MB dealers that wanted the parts business and catered to enthusiasts like myself. I approached the service manager about this a couple times. They wouldn't budge. Not only lost the parts business but I was even less likely to ever go there for service.
I was at a local Dallas dealership the other day and overheard the guys at the parts counter discussing Suncoast. From what I could tell, a customer called in looking for parts and after they gave him a price, the customer's response had to do with Suncoast pricing. They were a little taken frustrated with losing a sale (I think it was for some pretty pricey stuff), but then again they didn't make an effort to compete for the business either.

At the end of the day, if you're selling a product that's identical to a competitors product but at a higher price, you have to decide how hard you want to compete for the business. I think most high-end auto dealers have very little competition within their market, so they feel as though there's a captive market that will pay more with them since they are the only one around. The truth is that it's much more convenient for me as a customer to pickup the phone or get on the computer, place the order (for 15+% less) and have it delivered straight to my door. While I might pay a little more for shipping, I'm not paying sales tax on it, and I'm still paying less for the product. It's a win-win for me, and exactly why Suncoast continues to get my business while I can't remember anything I've bought from a local dealer other than a baseball cap.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:49 AM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
It would not of been cheaper to sell yours and pick up a used GTS?

Old 05-05-2012, 10:40 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tonka858
Or a a GT3

Old 05-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
If you look at the OP's signature it appears that he has a lot tied up in the current car. So what he is doing makes sense, to a point. If it had been a stock car then I'd vote for the GTS or GT3 route. One thing I have found is that the GT3 will hold it's value better than any Carrera. If it wasn't for physical limitations I'd be in a GT3 today.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by tonka858
I have lots tied up in the car now as Alan pointed out, plus there is a very strong emotional bond with my present car (yes, I know its just a car, not my wife ) I got a fantastic deal on the upgrade parts (all the extra kits lying around for the now discontinued 997.2) and a very good deal putting it in with 100% warranty coverage. Considering all the other modifications, some of which need to come off now, this makes my car more in warranty compliance from the perspective of Porsche (has a CPO -- given to me by PCNA for problems I had the first month with her)

I am actually waiting for the 991 Turbo to come out in a couple of years and will make a transition then. In the meantime, having driven both the 991S (while very very good) and my car at Masters PSDS back to back last month, I see no reason to run off and dump my girl.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:04 PM
cnachris is on a distinguished road
I like your thinking. It obvious you have thought this through. I am most interested in how evteerything goes for you with the update as I am interested in doing the same thing soon. I hope it exceeds your expectations on all fronts. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Subscribed.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:40 PM
First Pictures

Okay, the engine is out. Pistons look great, cylinders look great apart from normal carbon buildup. The valves and cylinder heads. I will let you look for yourself....pretty cruddy in there....

More pics to follow.

According to the gentleman doing the work, this is to be expected with DI engines, but our engines do not suffer nearly as bad the Audi engines. Apparently the Audi grows crud that then sticks to it choking the whole intake over time.

All I can say is I am glad my valves are being replaced by the fresh and clean set which is part of the kit.

Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Underside of Valves

Here is the underside of the cylinder heads (bank one) darker is obviously exhaust side

Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Topside valves bank one/ other pic block and pistons bank one

top side for inspection

other pic is pistons of bank one (coking is normal according to mechanic; the central section is less coked because the fuel hits that spot

Attached Images    
Old 05-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Exclamation Don't throw away the old air box if you do this upgrade

I also had to come to the shop today with the old part that I replaced with a fabspeed air intake. They simply replace the upper portion of the box with this nice piece of carbon fiber bling (functional?)

I am going to get the new air filters from AWE to put in there before its all buttoned up....

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Heart transplant underway -- my 2010 S gets X51