997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Name that leak ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 07:06 AM
Yaredna is on a distinguished road
Name that leak ?

997.1s, leaking a few drops every night, very slow, brown-oily texture, few inches to the side of the right (passenger) rear wheel.

I snapped few pictures from below the car, without raising it (attached, all pictures looking from ground up).

I added engine oil (one quart). The level of the power steering fluid is low, I have not added Pentosin yet.

Any idea where that leak could have originated from? Where next should I look before taking it to my preferred workshop?

Thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	aIMG_1462.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	483.3 KB
ID:	397664   Click image for larger version

Name:	aIMG_1461.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	526.7 KB
ID:	397665   Click image for larger version

Name:	aIMG_1460.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	525.8 KB
ID:	397666   Click image for larger version

Name:	aIMG_1455.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	447.5 KB
ID:	397667   Click image for larger version

Name:	aIMG_1463.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	371.1 KB
ID:	397668  

Old 07-28-2014, 08:13 AM
MarcoRemius is on a distinguished road
Assuming the coolant in your car is yellow (and not pink/orange), it looks like coolant to me... and it looks like it's coming from above where you're looking. You can see it pooling up on the coolant hard line in the top of the first pic.

Oil would be much darker. I haven't had a Pentosin hydraulic fluid leak since my old Audi 5000, so I can't remember what that looks like.

I'd see if you can view anything from the top looking down.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by MarcoRemius
Assuming the coolant in your car is yellow (and not pink/orange), it looks like coolant to me... and it looks like it's coming from above where you're looking. You can see it pooling up on the coolant hard line in the top of the first pic.

Oil would be much darker.
Marco,
Thank you for looking and taking the time to answer!

Quick questions: assuming it is leaking coolant... do you expect the leaked liquid to have some oily property when touched (very liquid, but slippery) ?

I will check the color of the coolant. I thought the coolant was topped off: could it be that it was overfilled, and on a very hot day like yesterday, it expanded and burst a joint/pipe ?

Old 07-28-2014, 08:42 AM
PatrickBateman is on a distinguished road
My vote is PS fluid. iirc, Pentosin is green in color.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:55 AM
. Coolant level a tiny bit below the minimum level
. Power Steering fluid not detected using the 20second routine described in the workshop manuals.

No symptoms, no warning lights.

It could be either/or at this stage. Any idea how I can differentiate between the Pentosin and the coolant liquid, other than "tasting" it and poisoning myself ?

Old 07-28-2014, 09:05 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
I am guessing power steering fluid, as well.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:27 AM
MarcoRemius is on a distinguished road
If the masses are saying Penotin/PS Fluid, I'd go with that, especially if it isn't detecting the level. I would have assumed the 997 would have the better "Pink" coolant, but I've never looked. Both fluid can be slimy, but PS fluid more so than coolant.

Assuming it is PS fluid, start at the pump and work your way out from there. It's clearly originating in the engine bay, so I wouldn't worry about the steering rack up front. Check the lines coming off the pump first and follow the wetness to the highest/originating point.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Phil_D will become famous soon enoughPhil_D will become famous soon enough
What color is your coolant? If it is pink then you can rule that out. Coolant also has quite a distinct smell. Looks very much like old Pentosin to me. The PS pump is on the top of the motor just slightly off center to the passenger side. Should be easy to see if there are leaks around it.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:49 AM
I checked the Pentosin pump: no visible leaks around the pump or the pump cover. Looking down, it was difficult to see: very crowded real estate there!

On a white paper towel, the liquid appeared almost transparent, i couldnot spot any coloring. I scotched under the car a matrix of white papers (printer paper) to pin point the leak, and report on the color.

That said, looking from under the car upward, there are traces of black greasy residue on some parts, feels like grease that has been there for a century or more...

I do appreciate all the feedback so far, you guys rock, and this forum is wonderful!

Old 07-28-2014, 06:14 PM
Z00mie is on a distinguished road
Coolant will smell sweet. Oil smells like,well, oil. Transaxle very strong smelling oil, Most other fluids (power steering, power top hydraulics etc smell somewhat like auto transmission fluid. So... what does it smell like?

Old 07-28-2014, 07:52 PM
Robocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really nice
I would check all the reservoirs, clean the leak and leave it spotless. Then, I would go for a ride, and check it again afterwards. Good luck!

Old 07-28-2014, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Robocop305
I would check all the reservoirs, clean the leak and leave it spotless. Then, I would go for a ride, and check it again afterwards. Good luck!
Great idea! How would you recommend that i clean the leak? Water pressure-wash?

Old 07-28-2014, 10:34 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
id never pressure wash, do it all by hand, damp cloth with a touch of simple green on it. looks like power steering fluid to me. Id clean it up and have you fav shop take a peak and chase it down after a few hundred miles of cleaning it up.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:50 AM
I scotch-taped white printer paper under the car, and left it overnight. In the morning, on the paper, a single drop about one inch diameter, oily, no color tint at all.

With the iPhone camera pointing upward, flash on, I snapped a picture (see below). Then I touched the accumulated green drops:
. very smooth, with the viscosity of water
. leaves on the skin a very mild oily sensation
. No color tint when on the skin
. No smell at all

Felt like a diluted mix of oil. I will wash this area as suggested this afternoon, then fill Pentosin tomorrow afternoon, and drive it a couple of miles, per the suggestion above.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:18 AM
Phil_D will become famous soon enoughPhil_D will become famous soon enough
I'd say it is a safe bet that it is Pentosin. It only takes a connector to be very slightly loose on the high pressure side to have a leak. Carry some Pentosin in the vehicle until you resolve this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Name that leak ?