997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Sunroof operation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 01:31 PM
Jpara98 is on a distinguished road
Sunroof operation

Is this a normal German thing? In order to open my sunroof I first need to open the vent, close the vent, click forward bottom one more time (something seems to latch or position resets), then I can open it by pressing the rear slide button. Also, I have to hold the button the entire time. I swear, one time I only needed to press it once and it opened the 95% open.

Tell me something is broke, needs to be rest, or I am doing it wrong....but don't tell me I am crazy.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:52 PM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
Should only be one touch at the back of the button.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:00 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jpara98
Is this a normal German thing? In order to open my sunroof I first need to open the vent, close the vent, click forward bottom one more time (something seems to latch or position resets), then I can open it by pressing the rear slide button. Also, I have to hold the button the entire time. I swear, one time I only needed to press it once and it opened the 95% open.

Tell me something is broke, needs to be rest, or I am doing it wrong....but don't tell me I am crazy.
From the owner's manual:

A - Opening the lifting/sliding roof
f Press rear of rocker switch A until lifting/sliding
roof reaches the desired position.
One-touch operation
f Touch rear of rocker switch A.
Lifting/sliding roof opens to its end position.
Stop it in any position by touching any button.
Note
The lifting/sliding roof opens until it reaches the
best position from the point of view of noise. It can
be opened fully, however, if you press the rocker
switch again

Based on your description sounds as if your switch isn't working as it should.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:10 PM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
From the owner's manual:

One-touch operation
Note
switch again

Good example of why he has 396 rep points and I have 20

Old 09-24-2014, 03:16 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
From the owner's manual:

One-touch operation
Note
switch again

Having owned a few 997's, I never new that. Thanks for the tip

Old 09-24-2014, 03:20 PM
Don
I downloaded and read the entire owner's manual before I picked my car up. I'm a car geek, but a lot of good info in there.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the info. I read the manual and thought perhaps I wasn't getting it. Perhaps it's the switch, it will not open unless I first open and close the vent.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:05 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I think I've become a bit of a sunroof expert. Yes, the vent will need to be closed before the auto open function will work. Quirky thing, for the auto open you do NOT hold down the button (which would be logical). The auto open function opens with a "tap" of the switch.

I love this part. Auto close function works on an '08 but not on an '11. Go figure that one out. Then I believe on newer cars the auto close function was enabled again.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:51 PM
Ok, thanks again everyone. I looked into it a bit more and fixed it very easily. Switch is fine. I reset the "whatever" and tapping the back button auto opens and I no longer need to open vent before doing so.

I had to press the forward button for about 10 seconds and then the sunroof went through a full cycle of open close. After that everything works exactly as manual says it should.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by ryem3
I think I've become a bit of a sunroof expert. Yes, the vent will need to be closed before the auto open function will work. Quirky thing, for the auto open you do NOT hold down the button (which would be logical). The auto open function opens with a "tap" of the switch. I love this part. Auto close function works on an '08 but not on an '11. Go figure that one out. Then I believe on newer cars the auto close function was enabled again.
Do you know if 2006 has auto close?

Old 09-24-2014, 07:33 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Do you know if 2006 has auto close?
It should - here's the closing info and it's from a 997.1 manual.

B - Closing the lifting/sliding roof
f Press front of rocker switch B until lifting/sliding
One-touch operation
f Touch front of rocker switch B.
Lifting/sliding roof closes to its end position.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:00 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
I'll add in case it's not obvious that the sunroof will open a little further past the auto open stop point if you hold the button again once it's open.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:46 AM
Originally Posted by mattyf
I'll add in case it's not obvious that the sunroof will open a little further past the auto open stop point if you hold the button again once it's open.
You are correct - see post#3 (tail end of manual excerpt).

Old 09-25-2014, 12:58 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of

My 06 does the same. I ordered a replacement switch from ECS. Just need the time to replace it.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:26 PM
bgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura aboutbgrpph has a spectacular aura about
from renntech- believe this is for 997.1 Teaching
1. With the ignition switched on, press the "lift" button and move the lifting/sliding roof drive to the "raised" limit position.
2. Press "lift" button again and keep depressed. After around 10 seconds, a complete cycle takes place from the "raised" limit position to the positions "lower - open - close".
3. Teaching of the characteristics has been completed after this process.
Note:
The "raise" button must not be released during the entire process. In the event of a restart, the lifting/sliding roof must always be moved to the raised limit position first.
4. If the lifting/sliding roof drive should move back in Item 1, then the closing force limitation function has responded (lifting/sliding force drive was taught). The "open" button must be re-taught in this case.

Re-Teaching
1. Press the "open" button until the sliding roof stops. Then release the button. Press again until the lifting/sliding roof drive stops again. Then release the button.
2. Press "open" button again and keep depressed. The entire process takes place after approx. 10 seconds: "close - lift - lower - open - close"
+ 0

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sunroof operation