Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

It's Back! The New Aston Martin Lagonda

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 07:18 PM
edtahaney has much to be proud ofedtahaney has much to be proud ofedtahaney has much to be proud ofedtahaney has much to be proud ofedtahaney has much to be proud ofedtahaney has much to be proud ofedtahaney has much to be proud ofedtahaney has much to be proud of
It's Back! The New Aston Martin Lagonda

Finally, after months of wondering what that heavily camo'd sedan that suspiciously looked like a Aston Martin, we can confirm that it indeed is a Aston Martin, and it's bringing back a historic nameplate. The Lagonda.

Read the story and see the photos here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/article...artin-lagonda/

Old 07-24-2014, 08:12 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
One aspect that has many reeling is the fact that Aston Martin has decided to only sell it to Middle Eastern countries. I understand that there is a whole heck of a lot of wealth there, but I think not allowing it to come to at the very least the UK is a big mistake.
That's an interesting sales strategy

Old 07-24-2014, 08:18 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
I like it. It kind of has some of the lines of the 70s Lagonda, in an updated form.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:47 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
I like it too but to limit sales to certain countries? Mercedes engines? No SUV? It really makes me wonder if AM's leadership within the company is doing more harm than good...

Old 07-25-2014, 01:42 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by RossL
That's an interesting sales strategy
Not for Aston
Don't forget many of their share holders and high profile customers are from that area (its rumoured 7 of the 1-77's went to one Middle East buyer)
Also AML have a history of building low volume specials for specific clients, in just the last couple of years we've had CC100, Jet2, Jet 2+2 and the Zagota DB9's. And of course Zagota V12V and 1-77.
A little tunnel vision I agree but it seems tobe working for them.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:32 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I'm willing to bet that a significant portion of the decision rested on the cost of legalizing the vehicle for various markets compared to the expected number of buyers in each of those markets.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:03 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Very good point Telum, by not selling it in Europe and US, they are not restricted by dozens of legal hoops that they have to jump through and regulations to comply with. It's actually way cheaper to develop the platform.

Not to mention the V12 does not meet dozens of countries of emissions standards in the coming future... In the middles east they couldn't care less and don't give a damn about then when they have subsidized gasoline prices of under $1. They can keep pumping out the old V12s there for over a decade probably.

They are actually following the Lamborghini business model of building ultra high end exclusive special editions for uber wealthy customers (read: insanely profitable). And to those Arab sheikhs ... Million dollars is chump change if it means out flashing their fellow royal family members. #uberrichpeopleproblems

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 07-25-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:06 PM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Very good point Telum, by not selling it in Europe and US, they are not restricted by dozens of legal hoops that they have to jump through and regulations to comply with. It's actually way cheaper to develop the platform.

Not to mention the V12 does not meet dozens of countries of emissions standards in the coming future... In the middles east they couldn't care less and don't give a damn about then when they have subsidized gasoline prices of under $1. They can keep pumping out the old V12s there for over a decade probably.

They are actually following the Lamborghini business model of building ultra high end exclusive special editions for uber wealthy customers (read: insanely profitable). And to those Arab sheikhs ... Million dollars is chump change if it means out flashing their fellow royal family members. #uberrichpeopleproblems
These are the kind of projects that can help keep the lights on for a little while..

Old 07-25-2014, 01:33 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Hope it has a dash like this . . .

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ladonda dash.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	397414  
Old 07-25-2014, 06:43 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Eh. No thanks...
I don't particularly like anything AM has done after the DBS...

Old 07-25-2014, 09:22 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by scottblack
These are the kind of projects that can help keep the lights on for a little while..
Exactly, super high margin products that can be developed cheaply and quickly is the best way for them to become profitable again and brings their brand prestige to an even higher level. I bet this is built off the rapids platform just extended so it probably did not cost them that much to redevelop.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:17 AM
tko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the rough
I'm super fine with AM remaking the Lagonda and only providing it as a ultra rare exclusive model in limited markets.

I didn't like the first lagonda and I bet that I wont like this one either. But hey there is a hugely beneficial plan to have others with loads more money help to fund our favorite automaker! I hope they sell a bunch!

That old Lagonda is just super super ugly. It's like a more tricked out Reliant K car. -Sorry Aston, Can't win them all I guess. Everything else is beautiful.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:44 AM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
not the only ugly car, remember the bulldog?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	800px-1979_Aston_Martin_Bulldog.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	397763  
Old 07-30-2014, 10:06 AM
tko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the rough
Oh yeah the Bulldog! Was the bulldog a production vehicle or a design exploration / proof of concept? While also ugly-ish it at least lives in the vein of other more successful wedge shapes of the late 70's early 80's…

Example Lotus Esprit, DMC Delorian, and the monster Lambo Countach.

That Lagonda just looks like sleeker version of every other stupid sedan of the 70's and 80's. Any Caddy, Reliant K Car anything Buick, The countless offerings by GM and Ford… Everything sedan like in that era just sucked so badly.

No wonder that the Japanese offerings were so much more interesting and became so popular in the 80's and dominated the 90's and early 2000's!

Old 07-30-2014, 10:42 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I just hope it sells well enough with a high enough profit margin to cover AM's cost. AML doesn't have enough money to be lost on what's basically a side project.