Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Installing clear side lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 10:40 PM
Jeff1smith is on a distinguished road
Installing clear side lights

Bought a pair of clear LED side lights for my 2009 AM DB9. Jacked up the car, took off the wheel and removed two fasteners to fold back the wheel liner.
Can't figure out how to remove the stock light. I can only see the back half of the light and it has the end of a bolt protruding on the back end; where the front would be on the outside and inaccessible due to the plastic light cover hiding the front. The front part of the light is blocked by a black plastic housing.
Anyone do this or have any clue on how to remove?
Thanks
Jeff

Old 01-24-2015, 11:03 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
I am planning on doing this to my car also so interested in learning all the steps.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:53 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
It's a ford part
IIRC it clips in from the outside
Try a plastic trim tool from the outside

Old 01-25-2015, 10:09 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
If you are referring to the rectangular marker lights (and not the round side repeater), there are no screws or bolts. Each light uses a pair of flimsy studs molded into the black plastic in the back of the housing. They are attached by means of nuts that essentially cut threads into the plastic as they are tightened. It's a poor design in that it doesn't make it very easy to reuse. If you don't reattach the nut exactly along the threads that were created the first time the light was installed, it is very easy for the plastic stud to break off. In that case, the only way to secure the light in place (other than getting a new one) is to use some 3M Automotive double sided tape.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:14 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikey k
It's a ford part
IIRC it clips in from the outside
Try a plastic trim tool from the outside
No. The part you are referring to is the side repeater light. I believe the OP was asking about the side marker on the bumper, which cars in the UK do not have.

In either case, the light you are referring to, which is also used in the Ford Puma and Transit, is held in place by inserting it from the outside and turning it a quarter turn. If you try to pry it off with a plastic trim tool you will break the tabs that are used to hold it in place.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:43 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by karlfranz
No. The part you are referring to is the side repeater light. I believe the OP was asking about the side marker on the bumper, which cars in the UK do not have.

In either case, the light you are referring to, which is also used in the Ford Puma and Transit, is held in place by inserting it from the outside and turning it a quarter turn. If you try to pry it off with a plastic trim tool you will break the tabs that are used to hold it in place.
That's the bit I was thinking of
Thanks for the tip on removal
I plan on removing the orange bulb for a silver one flashing orange

Old 01-26-2015, 08:26 PM
Lights installed! All the stuff Karl said is right.

To install the lights:
You do not have to remove the wheel, just turn to stop.
Remove headlight cover with screwdriver.
There are two torx screws holding well well cover. Remove these two and bend back cover.
The light is held on two plastic stuffs with self engraving 10mm body bolts. The rear one isn't two bad , but the front one is a bear. There is a black plastic housing that comes right up flush with the stud. I ended up taking a hacksaw blade and cutting it flush with the stud in an effort to get a 10mm box wrench around it. After trying for an hour, I gave up and took it into the local body shop. They had a 10mm wrench that the end could bend to match the body contour and they were finally able to remove it.
Installing the new lights took a pro about 30 minutes. Right one was easier than left. Toughest part was getting the nut to carve the thread on the new plastic stud.
They look very cool! I wanted to order another set to install on the rear, but was told at the body shop that red had to be on the rear of the vehicle. They can be red LED, but need to be red.
Anyone know of a source for red rear LED's?

Last edited by Jeff1smith; 01-26-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:33 PM
I cringed when I read about taking a hacksaw to the car...

Old 01-26-2015, 08:39 PM
Just to the plastic stud.,there was no other way to get enough clearance to get a wrench on it with the black plastic housing right up against it.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:18 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
I may attempt this tomorrow. Why do you need to remove the headlights? Did you go in through the headlight area rather than the wheel well?

Old 01-27-2015, 07:25 AM
Side lights

No need to mess with headlights, it's all done thru the wheel well. Don't even have to take wheel off.
The trick is to have a 10mm wrench that has a flexible end to adjust to body contour. Remove first nut, take out light bulb housing to give you more room to reach forward nut. I used a hacksaw blade to cut plastic stud down to be able to get a wrench around the nut. The guy at the body shop did the same. Remove fwd nut (good luck) and then reinstall new light. It takes a bit of work to get the nut to start grooving the new plastic stud. You may want to do this outside the car and then install.
After messing with it for too long, I took it to a local body shop and they charged me $90. I had the process down , so it didn't take him long. The secret is having the flexible wrench

Old 01-27-2015, 07:29 AM
Side lights

This install was on a 2009 DB9. If you are doing this job on another car, perhaps a Vantage, you may have more room and not need the flexible wrench or end to cut the fwd plastic stud

Old 01-27-2015, 08:44 AM
IMO, it's much easier to remove the wheel and the liner so that you have full, unrestricted access rather than having to work through a tiny hole.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:26 AM
Wink Side lights

Removing wheel does make it easier. I think that just folding the outer wheel well cover back gives you enough room, but if you've seen the links to all of Karl's projects on his Vantage, he's the master!
I was confused why someone thought thAt you needed to remove the headlight cover until I reread my own post on the process. It is confusing. By heDlight cover I mean there is a black plastic cover at the top of the wheel well to get to the headlight area from the rear. It has one otter screw holding it in and five tabs. No big deal.
Anyone have a source for an LED for the round yellow blinker?
alsoooking for red LED side markers for the rear

Old 04-23-2015, 03:37 PM
4leafcloverz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jeff1smith
Bought a pair of clear LED side lights for my 2009 AM DB9.
Sorry to resurrect an old-ish thread but are the LED lights you speak of the same as the one's I found on eBay here? Do you have a picture of how they look when on? Considering doing the same for my car. Thanks.

Last edited by 4leafcloverz; 04-23-2015 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Insert hyperlink

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installing clear side lights