Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Emissions tip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 11:27 AM
L_W_Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Emissions tip

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a 2006 V8V (the black one posted a week or so ago on the Smoking Tire Youtube channel!) from a really great guy in Utah named Grant and, because I reside in PA, had to get state inspection and emissions tests completed to make it 'legal'.

Thought I would share my experiences with some of the emissions issues that occurred during this process and how it was ultimately resolved in case someone else runs into this. Sorry if this 'tip' exists on the forum elsewhere already, just trying to help!

Because the closest AM dealer is about 70 miles away, I took it to my local Land Rover dealer (my daily is a Range Rover), who assured me they could handle the inspection/emission process.

The car initially failed the first emissions test due to a "faulty gas cap". After hearing it would be $500 for a new gas cap from AM, I took the car home and thought "I need a Plan B here". I then reached out to Rich (Redpants) who was extremely helpful and got me a lightly used cap for quite a bit less $$$... Thanks Rich!

The dealer then re-tested the car with the new cap. It actually failed AGAIN for some reason, and then it flagged for a bad O2 sensor as well. Sigh.

So the dealer removed the gas cap and then screwed it back down. They also replaced the O2 sensor (which Grant had graciously provided to me when I bought the car, thanks Grant!).

The dealer next took the car for a long drive (like 20 miles) in an attempt to get things to reset. Didn't work. They then took another 10 mile drive. Didn't work. Hmm.

So they called FC Kerbeck for some advice. This is where my 'tip' comes in. The rep at FCK said that on these cars in order for the emissions flags to reset themselves it requires "frequent, short" drives. So for example: Drive for 3-4 miles. Turn-off car. Drive for 2-3 miles. Turn-off car. Drive for 3-4 miles. Turn off car. Just repeat this process until it eventually resets.

This is a different method than many other cars where they need to be driven once (maybe twice) for a rather lengthy period of time to get things to recycle and reset.

I guess this is a pretty simple 'tip', but we definitely had some head-scratching and consternation until it was finally implemented. Ultimately if these flags do not reset, it starts to lead you and your tech down the path of 'throwing parts and labor' at the car to get it 'normal' again, which of course can add-up $$$ quickly and really be just wasteful and unnecessary.

So, all is well that ends well, but it took some doing/experimenting to get it over the hump. Hope this may help some other owners who run into similar issues.

Best,
- Len

Old 03-24-2017, 02:06 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Loose caps were a frequent problem in the early Vantages - several drives to clear up the codes. My 2007 I got really used to making sure the cap was fully turned...

Old 03-24-2017, 04:22 PM
Lve2xlr8 is on a distinguished road
Yeah sounds like it was a matter of readiness monitors. Thanks for the tip.

Out of curiosity, were you getting a CEL for either of those issues?

Old 03-24-2017, 04:32 PM
Yes, I did get a general "Emissions Systems" CEL, both the message on the speedo read-out and also the amber engine light. I assume that the engine light was reflecting the O2 sensor fault, not the fuel cap, but not really sure?

What was interesting though is that when I first took it to the dealer, there were no lights or messages. Then when I drove away from the dealer after the first fuel cap failure, it was actually still all clear... no CEL, no messages. Then I took the car out locally a couple times, once on a very cold day (like 25 degrees) just to run it a little before a blizzard hit us, and on that day I got the typical cold weather / ice warning plus the Emissions Systems CEL and amber engine light. Just kind of a really flaky situation.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:33 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Glad it all worked out, but what a hassle!

Old 03-24-2017, 11:44 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hi...I had a bad sensor...So like a smart A$$ I cleared the code...Took to NJ DMV and failed...I figured clearing would pass...Nope killed all stored data...Fixed sensor called Kerbeck like you...Tech told me it takes 3 driving cycles to rebuild information as the gas tank every third time does some pressure test...Took back after 3 drives and passed DMV...Live and learn...But 3 seems to be the number...

Old 03-25-2017, 11:13 AM
cadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the rough
i remember getting cel for o2 censor on my 07. after replacing censors and clearing codes
it took about 70 miles of cold start- stops over couple of days before all modules were
ready ok

Old 03-25-2017, 12:28 PM
pdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud ofpdacton has much to be proud of
I got my rear O2 sensor replaced, and that fixed all these CEL problems - zero issues since.

Good to have another Aston in eastern PA. Since you live so close to Bethlehem, I'm sure you already know about the cars and coffee at SteelStacks - next one is April 23. Hope to see you there - I'm usually the only Aston, and it attracts a LOT of attention.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:16 AM
Hey pdacton, thanks for the heads-up on C&C at SteelStacks. A buddy of mine goes regularly with his Cayman, but I've actually never been there (went once when they had it at the Promenade mall over in Center Valley). I'll try to make my way over on April 23rd assuming weather is ok. Will let you know if I go and we can meet up. Thanks again.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:29 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
never heard of the frequent start/stops, is that not in some way related to the cruise down misfire correction factor process?

Old 03-27-2017, 08:49 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Not sure correct answer but the car after clearing with code reader...The car needs three driving cycles to rebuilt the information. I did three cool drives...My AM dealers tech stated 3 cycles...Further explained once every three cycles the car does a pressure test on gas tank for emissions leak...ie gas cap loose or bad and rebuilds other wiped out information...I bet the same happens when the battery is disconnected.
evening...

Old 03-29-2017, 08:10 AM
Senatorblutarsky will become famous soon enoughSenatorblutarsky will become famous soon enough
Gas cap trouble

Is there something special about the AM gas cap? Can't we replace it with a generic cap?

Old 03-29-2017, 09:29 AM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Senatorblutarsky
Is there something special about the AM gas cap? Can't we replace it with a generic cap?
funny my car came w/a generic cap and i actually just bought an original.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:58 PM
Senatorblutarsky will become famous soon enoughSenatorblutarsky will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
funny my car came w/a generic cap and i actually just bought an original.
Any reason for changing to a factory gas cap?

Old 03-29-2017, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Senatorblutarsky
Any reason for changing to a factory gas cap?
i mean just look at, how do they even compare

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.