Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

My first "Exotic"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 05:40 AM
svre46 will become famous soon enough
My first "Exotic"

Hello Gents (and ladies?)

My name is Steve and I am from Illinois. I have just acquired a 06 (06.5?) Aston Martin Vantage. The car should be shipping to me sometime next week. This is my first “exotic” car. Call it a pre-midlife crisis? (sarcasm) I just turned 30 last weekend and feel super fortunate to have this opportunity. My wife didn’t even question this decision. I think she loves the car as much as me already. I know many of you have much newer or more expensive models but I considered this a major stepping stone for me.

With this said I have acquired quite a bit of experience wrenching on cars. My specialty is LS based American V8s and German cars (Audi and BMW). I know… two ends of the spectrum. German cars are usually my DD of choice. I recently sold my E46 M3 project. Prior to this my “fun” cars were a S5, S4(DTM), A4, FD Rx-7, 370z and a C6 Z06. I have tried pretty much everything but exotics. I loved how raw my C6 Z was but it obviously lacked refinement. We sold it prior to purchasing our first home together. I considered P car but they are everywhere.

I am a big DIY’er with a background in electronics and some engineering experience. I plan to share my knowledge wherever I can on this forum. I have no fear of taking on big jobs. I even have a lift in my garage which is priceless when it comes to wrenching on cars.

Anyways….Here are some details.
- 06 V8V (06.5? It was one of the first 07 to hit the states and was a press release car. A letter from Aston Martin confirms this)
- 6 Speed Manal
- Fully Optioned (Cruse, Bluetooth, Nav, Power Fold, premium audio etc.)
- Sport Pack Wheels
- N420 Aero
- V12 Skirts
- 6 Slat Grill
- Complete documentation, keys, and manual
- 100% compete car. Perfect leather.

Pictures
Name:  IMG_20170323_174005_349_zpsv8airicu.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  258.1 KB
Name:  s-l1600%203%201_zpsgb1rhly1.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  145.7 KB
Name:  s-l1600%201%201_zpsqg0qg3nr.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  125.6 KB
Name:  s-l1600%202_zpswmz9blau.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  133.2 KB
Name:  s-l1600%208_zpsgnnyxosp.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  104.0 KB
Name:  s-l1600%2016_zpsmfsa5ax9.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  65.3 KB
Name:  s-l1600%2017_zpspbgexsbx.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  78.3 KB
Name:  s-l1600%2020_zpspjmi2awr.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  79.0 KB
Name:  s-l1600%2021_zpslbbfdc6w.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  123.2 KB

Last edited by svre46; 03-25-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:07 AM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Looks like a good one, gonna be hard (but worth it) to keep that black up to scratch!

30....midlife...crises....gosh I feel old!

Old 03-25-2017, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by FatFrank
Looks like a good one, gonna be hard (but worth it) to keep that black up to scratch!

30....midlife...crises....gosh I feel old!
Haha. This was a dream car that finally became affordable. I didn't want to take out a loan. The wife and I plan to start a family next year. Probably my last big kid toy for a while.

The black paint had a paint correction and Cquartz treatment last fall. I'm pretty meticulous with washes (2 buckets and dry with a blower) so I am hoping I only need to do a correction every couple years. My z06 was black and that was some tough paint to correct.

Last edited by svre46; 03-25-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:44 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by svre46
Haha. This was a dream car that finally became affordable. I didn't want to take out a loan. The wife and I plan to start a family next year. Probably my last big kid toy for a while.

The black paint had a paint correction and Cquartz treatment last fall. I'm pretty meticulous with washes (2 buckets and dry with a blower) so I am hoping I only need to do a correction every couple years. My z06 was black and that was some tough paint to correct.
Great car and beautiful to boot!!!!!! Congrats for sure!

1. Washing tip--- Since the paint on a Aston is so soft and black being a pain follow the guidance next and you will save some trouble.

Wash with one bucket only. But, use Microfiber towels, maybe 10 or so, to wash the car with. Using one to two fresh towels per panel, never dipping the towel back into the wash bucket. Obviously wash downwards and dont carry dirt from lower parts of the doors back up. Using this process, will take the two bucket method one step further to help in preventing any marring.

2. Cquartz--- coating like any other, but coatings tend to dull and pick up road grime over time. So they need care also, just like if you didnt use a coating.

Carpro Reset --- is the washing liquid you should be using for maintain the coating.

Spotless--- is the product to use if and only if the coating starts showing water spots that wont wipe off.

Carpro Essence Plus---- non-abrasive polish for your specific coating. Use this product to re-juevenate the coating. It is basically a FILLER that has Si02 properties that help it bond and fill in the micro marring coatings get. This will flatten the surface which in turn increases the shine. But, this will help the coating last longer and keep it in good shape.

While none of the above processes are mandatory, if someone is going to spend 1k or more to have a coating installed correctly on the car, it is a good idea to take care of it. Coatings are still a great unknown for most people. They dont prevent scratches . They just give the paint longer protection. But, you have to take care of them just like you do the paint, every several months.

IMHO--- I dont do coatings on exotics. They are fine if the owner wants to have them done, then NOT touch it for several years. But, if the owner takes care of his car then he will be doing things to the coating, that could be just done with a sealant or carnauba. Plus, with any issues such as water spots and bad maintenance techniques the car will need a mild to moderate paint correction anyway. Why waste the money. HANDS down for me, a DD will get a Paint correction followed by a coating. Just not the garage queen. Hope that makes some sense and helps you out.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Great car and beautiful to boot!!!!!! Congrats for sure!

1. Washing tip--- Since the paint on a Aston is so soft and black being a pain follow the guidance next and you will save some trouble.

Wash with one bucket only. But, use Microfiber towels, maybe 10 or so, to wash the car with. Using one to two fresh towels per panel, never dipping the towel back into the wash bucket. Obviously wash downwards and dont carry dirt from lower parts of the doors back up. Using this process, will take the two bucket method one step further to help in preventing any marring.

2. Cquartz--- coating like any other, but coatings tend to dull and pick up road grime over time. So they need care also, just like if you didnt use a coating.

Carpro Reset --- is the washing liquid you should be using for maintain the coating.

Spotless--- is the product to use if and only if the coating starts showing water spots that wont wipe off.

Carpro Essence Plus---- non-abrasive polish for your specific coating. Use this product to re-juevenate the coating. It is basically a FILLER that has Si02 properties that help it bond and fill in the micro marring coatings get. This will flatten the surface which in turn increases the shine. But, this will help the coating last longer and keep it in good shape.

While none of the above processes are mandatory, if someone is going to spend 1k or more to have a coating installed correctly on the car, it is a good idea to take care of it. Coatings are still a great unknown for most people. They dont prevent scratches . They just give the paint longer protection. But, you have to take care of them just like you do the paint, every several months.

IMHO--- I dont do coatings on exotics. They are fine if the owner wants to have them done, then NOT touch it for several years. But, if the owner takes care of his car then he will be doing things to the coating, that could be just done with a sealant or carnauba. Plus, with any issues such as water spots and bad maintenance techniques the car will need a mild to moderate paint correction anyway. Why waste the money. HANDS down for me, a DD will get a Paint correction followed by a coating. Just not the garage queen. Hope that makes some sense and helps you out.
Thanks for the wealth of information. I will definitely do my due diligence on the detailing. I have seen cars with coatings but never really researched all of the pros and cons. I just knew it added a layer of hydrophobic protection with a deep gloss. Thank you for the guidance on the products and applications. This is not a paint job a want to botch. Tungsten was my first choice but I could never find the right combo of options.

Last edited by svre46; 03-25-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:16 AM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Another AM coming to Illinois... they're getting pretty popular here. lol

If you're near Chicago, make sure to check out SupercarSaturdays.com, if you're not already familiar with those shows.

I look forward to seeing you around!

Old 03-25-2017, 10:20 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Thanks for the wealth of information. I will definitely do my due diligence on the detailing. I have seen cars with coating a but never really researched all of the pros and cons. I just knew it added a layer of hydrophobic protection with a deep gloss. Thank you for the guidance on the products and applications. This is not a paint job a want to botch. Tungsten was my first choice but I could never find the right combo of options.
Your welcome, glad to help. Paint Corrections is a non professional but professional hobby of mine that I have refined over the years. My Jet Black DB9 has given me the most trouble of any car that I have worked on (F cars, P cars, L cars, B cars etc...) Every panel seemed to take a different process, fluid, pad, even one one panel a tool difference. I was going for perfection so likely whey the immense pain. I could have just done a simple two-step correction at around 90% +, and would have been fine. But, I want perfection on my personal cars.

Please ask me anything you like about what to use, or how to do things. Happy to help a fellow owner.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:45 AM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
Congratulations, she's a beaut!

Old 03-25-2017, 11:43 AM
silver997 is on a distinguished road
You might want to do one major correction and then wrap the car with a clear film. I did that and other than the financial regret, I am pretty happy I don't spend my time worrying about swirls and the like.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:15 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by silver997
You might want to do one major correction and then wrap the car with a clear film. I did that and other than the financial regret, I am pretty happy I don't spend my time worrying about swirls and the like.
+1.

The entire front end of my car is wrapped, and my quarter panels will be too, very soon (damn rocks coming off the front tires).

Old 03-25-2017, 01:28 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mathman85
+1.

The entire front end of my car is wrapped, and my quarter panels will be too, very soon (damn rocks coming off the front tires).
I have the clear bra on my rockers and on the rear fenders just in front of the rear tires. Plus the whole front end of my car has clear bra as well. I did install the Aston Martin stone guards behind the front tires, they do help.
Like you I had chips in the sides of my car in on the rear fenders in front of the rear tires on my 07. That's why when I purchased my 2016 GT I added the clear bra and the stone guards so far no chips.
Ron

Old 03-25-2017, 01:30 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold

You have a very nice Vantage. I started with a 2007 Vantage used as well. Great cars, you will love it. I do love black, just as long has it is someone else's car.
Ron

Old 03-25-2017, 04:39 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Absolutely beautiful. I love black cars, a pain to get and keep looking good, but when done right they are beautiful. Good luck with her and welcome.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:16 AM
Lve2xlr8 is on a distinguished road
Congratulations! It's a beautiful car with tasteful upgrades. I just got mine three weeks ago and I love it. We're the same age. Bringing down the avg for AM.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:39 AM
PK_Vantage is on a distinguished road
Congrats on your new purchase!!

AM Vantage is a real practical exotic (if such term exists...?), IMHO.

Went through car phases of owning BMW M cars, MB AMG's, Porsche 911 C2 & Turbo's, Nissan GT-R, Maserati's and Ferrari's but nothing beats Aston Martin in terms of overall package with a perfect blend of performance, luxury, reliability, practicality, style, fit-n-finish, heritage and prestige. It's truly an exotic that is practical and easy to drive/use as a daily driver.

Enjoy and congrats again!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.