Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Test Drive: back to back "S" and "Hybrid"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 04:23 PM
WFBlue is on a distinguished road
Test Drive: back to back "S" and "Hybrid"

Impressions Hybrid:

The Hybrid took a long time to warm up; the electric motor didn't initiate for 15 minutes or so (this is in NC-temperature was in the mid-50's). Vehicle was comfortable (14 way seats) and the black interior was beautiful; I will likely order this interior with white instruments as a nice offset. When compared to "S", car seems a bit sluggish off the line probably due to extra weight (or engine temperature), and the weight was somewhat noticeable in handling, though it could have been in my head. I was not able to get the car to "sail" on the highway. Salesman predicted low # of Hybrid sales because of only a moderate improvement in mileage, extra weight, extra cost and no spare tire. Might have been dealership "spin"-you decide.

Impression on the "S":

Vehicle warmed up much more quickly (might have been driven previously, though I was at the dealer at opening). The engine power was awesome throughout RPM spectrum without any necessity to "floor it". I can't even imagine the Turbo; hats off to the members who purchased the CTT you are going to be happy lunatics. Handling was excellent and I absolutely fell in love with the cabin. I really don't understand the reviews which call the controls fussy or state that there are too many buttons. This allows operation of the controls without going through menu after menu (yes I have a BMW with IDrive, a.k.a the Horror). I played with the PCM after the test drive for quite some time and it seems extremely straight-forward.

Other observations:: Porsche entry/drive worked well and the plastic piece which you turn to start was not an aesthetic issue for me. Full leather was gorgeous, but I am going have to draw the line somewhere in terms of options. I will have to splurge, however, for the 911 Turbo II wheel; they are simply gorgeous and look easy to clean. Rear seating was adequate with rear seats pushed back, though I don't think anyone would term it roomy. The electric rear window shades were very cool; press the window button once for the shades, twice for the window. The rear view mirror is really bad in my opinion. I understand the shape was designed to eliminate the view of the rear headrests, but it is really bizarre and the side mirrors are little better; all in all, these are small nits to pick.

Since I am looking for SUV with sports car handling and power, the Cayenne "S" seems like a no brainer. I put down a deposit for the first 2012 allocation from the dealer which should be in August; I am hoping that painting of the black trim pieces will be standard by then.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:37 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
great review, i as well do not understand the hybrid, but i guess it makes sense to some..

the S is a wonderful truck.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:46 PM
AJRDU is on a distinguished road
Great reviews. I had very similar impressions especially concerning the hybrid. Which dealership did you go to? Was it Leith in Cary by chance? They have a black/black hybrid that I've driven a couple of times. I completely agree with you about the difference in handling between the S and the Hybrid. It's subtle, but it's there. I was able to test drive a V6 with the standard suspension and 18's. It handled very nicely. I am amazed at how well these vehicles perform even without the electronic goodies and air suspension. If money were no object . . . I'm coming from a line of small sedans and coupes and was sold on a Cayenne after the first drive as it was the first SUV I drove that didn't feel like one.

I ordered a V6 with those Turbo Wheels you like, Black on Black, and the premium plus package. I also ordered it with the glossy blk trim package and plan on having the rest of the trim painted to match.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:19 PM
slw23 is on a distinguished road
Nice write up. Back to back test drives are probably the best way to determine which model is best suited for your needs/wants. Those Turbo II wheels are beautiful, and boy do they cost you a pretty penny like many of the other options. Great thing about waiting for a 2012 is you have a forum like this to read up on all the available options, it will surely make it easier to pick and choose. The bad part about waiting for a 2012, well, is the wait. The Cayenne is a great truck. I have a '11 V6 and love driving it every day.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:37 PM
ronl will become famous soon enoughronl will become famous soon enough
Well stated. Find a way over the next few months to swing for the full leather black you liked so well. And consider PVT/PDCC.

There is wisdom to not rushing an order- but what discount, if any, off MSRP has the dealer been able to promise? There may be many here interested in that.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:37 PM
AJRDU it was Leith in Cary and it was the B/B hybrid. When is your Cayenne supposed to be delivered? I am driving a MB GL (soon to be wife's) and the Cayenne seems like a 911 in comparison.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by ronl
Well stated. Find a way over the next few months to swing for the full leather black you liked so well. And consider PVT/PDCC.

There is wisdom to not rushing an order- but what discount, if any, off MSRP has the dealer been able to promise? There may be many here interested in that.
Didn't quote a price yet since I didn't configure the vehicle yet. I just put down a few bucks to hold the spot. I still expect to shop (there are several Porsche dealerships within an hour-Chapel Hill, Greensboro, etc), but if Leith is reasonably competitive, i will buy it from them. The SA is a good dude as near as I can tell.

One concern I have is servicing since the dealerships are 30 minutes from my house-other than warranty issues (heh, heh) can I have the simple stuff done by a local shop which works on euros (oil changes, etc) or am I asking for trouble?

Old 03-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by WFBlue
Didn't quote a price yet since I didn't configure the vehicle yet. I just put down a few bucks to hold the spot. I still expect to shop (there are several Porsche dealerships within an hour-Chapel Hill, Greensboro, etc), but if Leith is reasonably competitive, i will buy it from them. The SA is a good dude as near as I can tell.

One concern I have is servicing since the dealerships are 30 minutes from my house-other than warranty issues (heh, heh) can I have the simple stuff done by a local shop which works on euros (oil changes, etc) or am I asking for trouble?
Who did you work with at Leith? I'm sure you could have the oil changes done at a local shop, but the normal service interval is long enough that you won't be driving to the dealer for required maintenance all that much anyway.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by AJRDU
Who did you work with at Leith? I'm sure you could have the oil changes done at a local shop, but the normal service interval is long enough that you won't be driving to the dealer for required maintenance all that much anyway.
John Alvi

Old 03-07-2011, 06:19 PM
I like those guys a lot. Customer service was so bad at performance Porsche in Chapel Hill, that I waited around their showroom 35 mins and no one emerged to help me. I called an made an appointment for a consultation and they never even bothered calling me back.

I don't know if you got a chance to see the S they had with the black leather interior but it was gorgeous. The cool thing, however, is that the black standard interior somehow minimizes the lack of leather moreso than the other colors IMHO.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:24 PM
I agree on the Black interior as long as I order seat ventilation. My GL interior is black w/o ventilation and it can be uncomfortable in August in Raleigh. Although $800 beans, the white instruments will look great against the black and it does hide dirt, etc. Just my opinion.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:32 PM
My order closed before I could change out the dials, but I had the same thought about them. Funny that we are the same family of cars. I have a black E550 Coupe, but with a light interior. Even so, the seat ventilation is a must during July/August.