Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

stereo volume decreases

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:57 AM
xsrfs is on a distinguished road
stereo volume decreases

I have a new-to-me 04 CS with 25k mi. Unless i'm just hearing things, I swear the volume on the stereo sometimes instantaneously dims. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this issue. Is it related to the "auto-pilot" or "stereo surround sound" feature in the settings? It's not accurately linked to vehicle speed/noise/etc....it feels randomly as if someone is turning the volume down one click on the ****.

Also, the cars the Nav CD. Does this make it 2.0?

Old 03-16-2011, 02:19 PM
RobsCountach is on a distinguished road
Wow, thanks for posting this. My 04 does the same thing on occasion. You're not crazy. I even turned OFF the variable volume that increases the volume as you drive.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
The 2004 Cayennes have the CD-based nav system, which is PCM 2.0. There was a map update from NavTeq in 2008 that improves the system, but it's still not great.

I don't recall how the system works, but I believe the volume is changed based on ambient noise in the cabin, not on vehicle speed. I'm sure it's in the owner's manual.

FWIW, I don't notice this behavior in my Cayenne. Maybe I've gotten used to it...

Old 03-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Ok thanks.

I'd hate to start another iPod thread because I'm sure they're out there....so I'll keep it hidden in here, do you guys know about any good iPod interfaces for this? It's the Bose/Nav unit and from what I'm gathering it's 2.0. Maybe there's an aux plug or I can link via bluetooth? I don't even know I just got the thing

Old 03-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Well, I know you turn ON/OFF the vehicle-speed volume control, but didn't realize cabin noise could change it ? Interesting. I'm usually alone, so not sure that's it... but worth a look.

Originally Posted by Dennis C
The 2004 Cayennes have the CD-based nav system, which is PCM 2.0. There was a map update from NavTeq in 2008 that improves the system, but it's still not great.

I don't recall how the system works, but I believe the volume is changed based on ambient noise in the cabin, not on vehicle speed. I'm sure it's in the owner's manual.

FWIW, I don't notice this behavior in my Cayenne. Maybe I've gotten used to it...

Old 03-17-2011, 05:12 AM
FastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud of
+1 for cabin noise. I too have an 04 CS and depending on the noises that are picked up by the sensors it will adjust randomly it seems. It gets too loud sometimes when I open the sunroof and I will have to turn it back down.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:13 PM
mikezlee is on a distinguished road
It took me a while to figure out what was happening, when I noticed this as well. The Bose is the culprit with the cabin noise canceling feature. Non-Bose has the speed sensor that can be turned on/off. The Bose doesn't have anything to turn off this feature. At least this is what I read from going through the whole manual.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:33 PM
I didn't know they had noise canceling capabilities

Old 03-18-2011, 08:14 AM
TenaciousT is on a distinguished road
Mine is Bose and does the same thing. I haven't found a solution yet either

Old 03-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Ya know, there has to be a microphone for this someplace... That would be the solution.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:04 PM
MRZ
MRZ is on a distinguished road
Mine is a CS04 with same behavior and it has CDR23 not PCM. Not a final solution but solved the issue when I turned the Surround OFF. even at surround MID and HIGH it does it but when totally OFF it is OK.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Qualeek has a spectacular aura aboutQualeek has a spectacular aura aboutQualeek has a spectacular aura about
To answer the microphone question, If equipt, it is located in the over head console. Looks like a small grill near the sunglass holder. And for the surround sound, you may be on to something. I need to ask first, is the sound all of a sudden going lower ONLY when fm/am is used. Or does it do it even with a CD? Reason I ask, reception issues are known to change the volume and/or quality of the system. This is factual information from PCNA.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Only am/fm I think. I haven't noticed it when on CD

There is a TSB for replacing the on/off/volume switch. Maybe they're faulty in this sense. I think all the TSB says is how to change it but not why