Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

TINT please read everyone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
TINT please read everyone

SO today I went to my tint guy who I trust with any car. He's done about 12 of my cars, and my entire house all windows, and everything has been flawless.

He uses a product called Sun Tek which has worked great and matched in all previous cars, but today as we were putting a small square piece up on fron and back windows, we noticed the BACK windows have a blue-ish tint to them.

The sun tek is more of a brown dark tint look, and when places over the back windows, there is a HUGE difference from the inside looking out from the from windows to the back windows.

on my old GTS 2008, this tint matched perfectly and from the outside -in it looked even and from the inside out it looked matched as well; not the case on the new 2011.

Questions: what brand of non metallic tint are you using that matched perfectly from the inside-out and if done right will match perfectly from the outside-in?

I want something that isn't going to fade over time and will look as good as it does the day installed when I go to sell the car in 1 year or 10 years.

much thanks!

J

Old 05-26-2011, 11:36 PM
slw23 is on a distinguished road
I used 20% non-metallic Llumar film on my Cayenne all around. The 2 front windows do look a little lighter since they don't have the factory tint, but I don't mind it as I've done my last couple cars the same way. Additionally, 35% is legal on the fronts, no limits on the rest in Vegas, so cops are used to seeing lighter front/darker rear windows, and I definitely didn't want the front to look darker than the rest. None have a bluish hue, they're all charcoal grey. The film came with a lifetime warranty against peeling, fading, bubbling, etc.

FWIW, I also tinted the rear windows of the wife's RX with 50% (over her factory tint) the same day- the 2 fronts already had 20% and the rear windows still look a bit darker. It's really tough to get exactly the same look on all windows since the rear windows on many cars these days come with factory tint.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Keep them coming.
Those with 2011 cayenne's are what I'm after.

I already know what worked with my old body 2008 GTS.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:09 PM
2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough2011PorscheCaye is a jewel in the rough
bumping this one. i'm thinking about tinting my front windows as well, and want it to match with the rear tint.

i'm thinking i'll make the tint slightly lighter, but obviously want the color to match

Old 06-07-2011, 03:34 AM
AJRDU is on a distinguished road
I did 35% on my front windows with nothing additional on the rear and it looks pretty good. I have a black interior and the standard sunroof on a black car so general lighting and color combo may make a difference. The second image is after having my wheels powder coated gunmetal.

Attached Images   
Old 06-07-2011, 06:36 AM
More care about the BRAND
as I am after matching the blueish factory tint to aftermarket tint. My % is probably going to be 20% all
Around, but when I did a
Test with that % using suntek it was a horrible differentiation when looking from inside out. Looked grey/brown on fronts, an blue-ish on back.
From outside you couldn't tell but I want uniformity from the inside out.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:55 AM
caveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nice
Originally Posted by AJRDU
I did 35% on my front windows with nothing additional on the rear and it looks pretty good. I have a black interior and the standard sunroof on a black car so general lighting and color combo may make a difference. The second image is after having my wheels powder coated gunmetal.
The gunmetal wheels look great. A huge improvement from stock.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by caveatesq
The gunmetal wheels look great. A huge improvement from stock.
Thanks. I've been looking at it in different light and from different angles. They look like totally different wheels. I'm really happy with the outcome and it allowed me to get a custom look while staying with "smaller" wheels.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by Jace
More care about the BRAND
as I am after matching the blueish factory tint to aftermarket tint. My % is probably going to be 20% all
Around, but when I did a
Test with that % using suntek it was a horrible differentiation when looking from inside out. Looked grey/brown on fronts, an blue-ish on back.
From outside you couldn't tell but I want uniformity from the inside out.
My installer uses 3M.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:22 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
That gun metal blue really finishes off the l@@k of your SUV nicely.

Since, the rig has the side rear window shades, I'm not tinting mine. However, I have tinted most of my previous vehicles. Product matters a lot! Seems the gray tints worked best and my heat reduction alone made it all worth while. We used some metal based tints while I was in southern AZ.

I am really picky and I understand your struggle. Breaking new ground is rarely easy.