Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Fading Multi Function Display, LOTS OF INFO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Scarpoolla is on a distinguished road
Fading Multi Function Display, LOTS OF INFO

Here is a post I made to another site. Hopefully this gets some interest...

Let me start by saying that I have been researching this problem for a long time and finally have some information to report. I do not have a fix, but my hope is that when this post is pooled with the collective knowledge of the rest of the Cayenne Community that the problem can be solved.

Personally I believe the fading problem is twofold. The multi-function Mono Chromatic LCD display screen (or driver information display) is going bad, and the LEDs behind the display that illuminate it are also going bad. If problem includes the LEDs, this repair might fall out of the domain of DIY due to the leds being soldered to the main board. If it only involves the screen, then we are going to save ourselves a lot of money when compared to replacing the whole cluster.

Daylight shot of my screen before it completely fades away with the heat.

Night shot of my screen with fading beginning to occur. Kind of blurry, but you get the gist

Since I did not want to experiment on the cluster in my 2006 Cayenne S, I purchased ($170) a used cluster off of eBay to tear apart and figure out how it works. The actually disassembly of the cluster is quite easy as it only involves torx bit screws. The LCD screen is NOT soldered in place and the ribbon connection is held to the main circuit board by a plastic piece that puts pressure on the ribbon to keep it in contact with the cluster circuit board. The screen is held in place by a metal bracket that clips into place.

Picture of the Cluster with front casing (glass dial covers) and back casing (just a white case with port holes) removed and LCD retaining bracket removed.

I removed the metal bracket by depressing the legs with a screw driver and pulled the plastic retaining pin on the back of the cluster out in order to free the ribbon connection. The ribbon from the screen is partially behind the black dial face and snakes over the top of the cluster to the back circuit board. Next I carefully lifted the LCD screen out of place. I noted that my screen had the following numbers printed on it with no quotes "5621-40 207". I have googled the numbers hoping it was a part number, but I did not find anything. It appears this defect occurs more often in warm climates. This cluster came from a cold climate and had around 35K miles on it. I held the LCD up to the light and all the pixels appeared consistent. This might be my last resort if I cannot find a replacement screen.

Connection for the LCD ribbon and the ribbon from the LCD screen that slides into in the circuit board on the back and is held in place by a plastic piece.

End of LCD ribbon and the plastic connection piece. The handwritten number was already there when I opened her up.

Ribbon plastic piece sitting on top of the circuit board connection, with the ribbon removed.

Full Shot of the LCD screen.

Height in inches

Width in inches

Back of the cluster. The white boxes contain the gears to turn the needles. Notice the white ribbon connection point above the blue terminal.

In regards to the picture above, I have come across the replacement transformers for the instrument cluster that repairs the failing LCD screen when searching for parts, but I have no idea where they would go or be placed. As there is nothing that "Fat" on the circuit board. It is very thin, and the biggest things attached to it are the gear houses for the needles.

To access the backlight LEDs there are two filters that you have to remove. The first one is colored orange and the second is white. Do not touch these with bare fingers as the oils on your hands stick to them and cannot be removed.

Orange filter that sits underneath the LCD display. There is a plastic bar that creates that nice separation you notice in the display. The filter fits into a cut out slot. The white filter is beneath the orange one.

White filter removed.

Notice how the box is separate into two distinct areas. Those little rectangles are all LEDs.

This picture shows where the leg of the metal LCD retaining bracket would clip into place.

The biggest problem I have with the repair is being able to source the LCD screen from a US supplier. Currently I have made contact with a instrument repair company from Germany. They have the screens in stock and will also make the repair. I contacted them asking to only purchase a screen, here is their reply in italics.

Thank you very much for your request! The display costs 250 Euro net. + shipping (registered letter for 15 Euro). However, we cannot give you any guarantee for the display because you will install it by yourself.

We cannot tell you what is the reason why your instrument still does not work, because we would have to inspect it first.

You can send it for inspection and repair. We will sublimit you a non-binding offer after inspection, but the repair will cost at least 399 Euro including VAT.

You can find the offer and description of the problem with picture on our website here (please click on the English flag for English version) http://www.tachopix....666/language.de

You can send us the instrument for repair anytime. If it is a standard problem then will repair it and send it back on the same day when we receive your parcel.

The shipping with DHL to the US costs about 60,- Euro net if you transfer the money in advance into our account, UPS is faster but costs about 100 Euro. If you decide to send us your instrument for repair, please fill out our form, print it, sign it and put it into the parcel.

You find this form here:http://tachopix.de/repair/nav.399/su...pagetype.page/ In case of any questions contact us anytime and we will be happy to help you!

Best regards,

Kamila Pilarski

Digital Tuning Service GmbH
Nordring 9, 30163 Hannover
Tel.: +49 (0)511 6766970
Fax: +49 (0)511 67669727
info@tachopix.de
www.tachopix.de

The price is kind of steep, but it might be our best shot at actually getting a screen. MAYBE, we could work out a group buy if we have enough interest. I currently have an outstanding email with no replay that is asking questions in order to dig for more information in order to find out who supplies these **** things. They gotta have a **** supplier!

I discovered another company that is out of Italy who's sole purpose is supplying these kind of parts to fix instrument clusters for audi, VW, MB, BMW, and etc. I have not contacted them yet, but there website is

www.mte.net

They might be our best hope for finding this screens at a reasonable cost. They even sell remanufactured Cayenne Turbo color LCD screens. SO why the hell not Cayenne S!

Please feel free to contact me about any questions or suggestions. Hopefully this posts gets some attention and we as a community find a fix for this lousy problem.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:24 PM
pstine58 is on a distinguished road
I have the same issue with my 2006 Cayenne S cluster!

hi, I really appreciate all the detective work you've done! I've had the same issue with my cluster. It displays perfectly when it's cold but once the car warms up, or if i park it out in the sun, the display starts to fade into shades of black and sometimes parts of it flicker.

I've only found one place that will repair it for $995 (BBA Reman) but that seems crazy for an LCD temperature issue.

I also noticed someone selling high voltage transformers and I couldn't find any place where they'd go- perhaps they are for the Cayenne V6 which I believe uses a different cluster.

I pulled mine apart and tried reseating the ribbon cable- no luck.
I also tried replacing several of the easy to get to Electrolytic Capacitors, since they tend to go bad and can cause issues- no luck.

So it's either:

1. The circuitry that drives the LCD panel, or

2. the LCD panel itself.

I'd be extremely interested in working with you to find a solution. I've spoken to a few repair shops who don't fix Cayennes but the going sentiment is it's likely the panel. I'd hate to spend $300 to find out it's not the panel, but some small transitor or capacitor that's overheating and causing the issue.

Have you purchased the LCD panel and tried it? it'd be great to take a known good LCD display and try it. then we'd know for sure.

let me know how I can help. I'd love to get this fixed know that the weather is getting warm.

Pete

Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Pstine,

I happy to report that the problem with the fading LCD screen is due to the LCD Screen going bad and not the transformers or leds. I swapped my screens out this past weekend, the results were flawless. It can be done! The new screen came out of a brand new Cayenne S cluster that was bought by a company for parts.I got lucky enough to get my hands on the screen to try this out. Hopefully the new screen has better longevity in the hot Florida sun that I live in.

Before...

After...

The transformer modules that are being marketed for Cayennes are a complete joke and waste of money. The Cayenne's instrument clusters are made by Bosche. Those modules are made to fix a problem that occurs on instrument clusters made by VDO in their 220 series. These clusters are more commonly found on late 90s early 2000s Mercedes.

Because you are already familiar with how easy it is to swap the screens, I would first suggest that you try and find a screen from a used cluster, but make sure the cluster is from a cold climate and has few miles on it. I actually have a used cluster from a regular Cayenne that came from Canada and has about 24K kilometers. The screen on it works perfect as I tested it out on my cayenne before putting my original cluster back in. I bought the cluster to see how easy it would be to do the screen swap as I did not want to tear my dash apart just to find out I couldn't do it. I however plan to sell the cluster in order to recoup the money spent on it and the money I spent buying the new screen.

I found this company in Germany that will sell you just the screen. The link is below. Just contact them. I think they quoted me right around 300 not including shipping and the VAT.

http://www.tachopix.de/language.en/

Let me know if you have any questions. I am more than happy to help any other owners too.

Last edited by Scarpoolla; 04-19-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:52 PM
thank you!

Scarpoolla- that's great news- congratulations!

I'm glad to hear the LCD panel itself is the culprit. That's a lot easier to replace than transistors, etc.

Also, thanks for the lead on the company in Germany, and I also appreciate your advice on trying to find a used LCD from a low mileage cluster (not sure I'd know where to find one, that I knew worked- ebay and craigslist seem a bit dicey on this type of thing.) Afterall, why would somebody be selling a perfectly good used cluster?

By the way,I searched the company in Italy, but I wasn't able to find an LCD for the Porsche, were you?

Many thanks, and enjoy the satisfaction of a properly funtioning LCD- I just find it rather annoying how mine is currently behaving.

Please keep me posted if you run into another cluster or LCD

Pete

Old 04-23-2012, 11:47 AM
do you still have the old/bad LCD panel? I have an idea

hi Scarpoolla-

I have an idea that I wanted to bounce off you. Since both of our displays work perfectly when it's cold, it dawned on me that perhaps what is happening is as the glass LCD panel heats up, it's losing connection with the ribbon cable.

There appears to be some kind of special black tape or something that is holding the ribbon cable to the LCD- i'm wondering if that's actually the culprit, and why some of the sites actually sell refurbished LCD panels (like the Italian company you mentioned, although they only have one for the Cayenne, not the S. I also wonder if there is a replacement ribbon cable for this that might also fix it.

Is it possible for you to pull off that black tape from the LCD panel side and see if the ribbon cable comes out? I wonder if pulling the ribbon cable out and applying a little electrical dielectric grease and re-gluing it back together might fix the issue?

Before I tear mine out and risk breaking it, I thought I'd see if you have any advice on this point.

Many thanks

Pete

Old 04-25-2012, 08:25 AM
Pete,

I am not an expert on these type of connections, but it appears that the ribbon is fused to the glass screen and the black tape is more or less just a protective covering. The little I do know about these type of electrical connections, I would not suggest putting dielectric grease on this as you want each of the connections touching seperatly. If you just smear some of the grease on it, I think you would be at risk of bridging the gaps between the connectors and that would cause the information signals to be transmitted wrong.

Name:  IMG_0331.jpg
Views: 5335
Size:  102.6 KB

The ribbon connection could be partly to blame with the image flickering, but I would look to where the ribbon connects to the main circuit board of the cluster versus the connection on the glass. If you want, I would suggest getting a high quality contact cleaner such as Deoxit Gold (I believe most Radio Shacks have this in stock). First spray the end of the ribbon and then spray the end of a q-tip and wipe each gold connection up and down. Next, spray the contact cleaner into the ribbon connection of the cluster circuit board and let dry. Next spray some air duster on both pieces and reassemble. Also get a wrist grounding strap at radio shack to wear while you handle the cluster. You do not want any stray static electricity frying something.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:06 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Actually - if you look/know how an LCD works - it uses phase change in a "liquid crystal" to change polarity - then a polarizing filter in front of it - causes it to be transparent (on) or opaque (off.) The cystals are sensitive to temperature.. and I'm making a WAG that the ones used in the display panel can be permananty damaged when exposed to high temperatures. Makes a case for using a windshield sun-block when parked in areas where it's hot and sunny..

Typically when ribbon/connectivity failures happen (very common on BMW instruments/displays) - certain pixels will stop working - usually to permanant off. Doesn't sound like what's being decribed here.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:31 PM
great feedback - thanks

hi guys, thanks for your insight and perspective.

Scarpoolla, you are absolutely right about shorting out the signals- not sure what I was thinking (but sure glad I asked!)

I've removed and replaced the ribbon cable at the PC board several times to no avail. I didn't try contactor cleaner. A good thought.

Given MTE in Italy sells a lot of ribbon cables, I thought it might be possible that the connection to the LCD panel could be suspect.

Interestingly, just like your panel, my panel works perfectly when it is cold, but fades out when it gets warm/hot.

Ed, you make some excellent points as well. I have read a number of BMW LCD panel issues associated with the ribbon cable so that's why I was heading that direction. It sounds like it's permanently bonded and likely needs high heat to detach- i'm not sure i want to screw it up.

I wish there was a US supplier of replacement panels! With the number of 955's that are now out of warranty, it seems like a good opportunity for a US company to resell. Spending $300 for a panel from Germany and $100 to ship it to the US seems really expensive.

Please keep your good ideas coming!

thanks

Old 04-25-2012, 10:52 PM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
OH YES !! You are a man after my own heart - Hack away brother !!

Why not bay it and swap screens from a used cluster like Scarpoolla??
How about an entire cluster for less then $320??

Here: $319 or BO - free shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cluster-Spee...73abea&vxp=mtr

$300 :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-PORSCHE...df5ed5&vxp=mtr

$275

http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-Porsche-C...a3aa0b&vxp=mtr

Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 AM
thanks for the ebay tips!

hi Roxboxxx- thanks for your research. it appears that the first 2 you found are for the Cayenne 6 cylinder, not the S, which is what I have. the clusters appear to be different. the last one has 121,000 miles on it and hasn't actually been powered up and tested.

Also, I have been in contact with Andy at VDO repair, and he's working on trying to source the screens from either donor clusters or new OEM parts.

Keep looking, I'm optimisitic that something good will happen here, and based on the number of other Cayennes that seem to have this problem (or will soon after their warranty runs out), I'm hoping the experience from Scarpoolla and others can help the community. I will certainly share my experience!

Old 04-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Peter,

The only difference between an Cayenne S cluster and a Cayenne Cluster is the silver face plate that the Cayenne S Clusters come with. It can be removed by unscrewing the gold colored torx screws you see in the pictures. So if you find a good deal on a used Cayenne Cluster, go for it because you will be able to swap the screens out.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:46 AM
hi Scarpoolla, it would be great if the Cayenne and Cayenne S displays are compatible! Perhaps you can help my confusion.

1. On the minitool (mte.net) website, they have several pictures of the 2002-2008 Cayenne/Touareg replacement LCD panel which look very different from the displays that you and I have (I've included them below.) In particular, our display has an integrated ribbon cable, and this has what appears to require a separate ribbon cable and it also has a 2 wire connector, possibly for power?

2. When I emailed mte.net and sent them a picture of my display, there reply was

Dear Pete,
looking at your picture, I’m sure it is different.
So we don’t have it.

Thank you

Cordiali Saluti/Best Regards
Lisa Zotti

SAVI ELETTRONICA S.r.l.
Società unipersonale
C/da Popoleto, 14/B
70011 - ALBEROBELLO (BA) Italy
C.F./P. IVA/N.I. Reg. Imp. Bari: 05948750723
Cap. Soc. € 20.000,00 i.v.

3. So please help me understand how this could be a replacement for the Cayenne S. As I said above, it'd be great if it would work, but I have my doubts

thanks for continuing to educate me!

Old 03-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Mpowered is on a distinguished road
Using the info in this thread I was able to fix my screen as well. I ended up buying a used cluster on eBay for $250 and swapped out the screen. Mine developed a tiny crack when it was parked at the airport for a week while I was out of the country.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:28 PM
stormy69 will become famous soon enough
great info! another sticky that should happen but likely wont....

Old 04-06-2015, 09:18 AM
emp3ror is on a distinguished road
I made a video on youtube after following the directions.

Have a look:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fading Multi Function Display, LOTS OF INFO