Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

C6 S6 (or similar) to 955/957 Cayenne Turbo/GTS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 06:06 PM
VTGT is on a distinguished road
C6 S6 (or similar) to 955/957 Cayenne Turbo/GTS?

Hello all

It's that time of the year again...getting the car itch. Currently been driving a 08 S6 for the past two years. It's been pretty reliable, albeit a warped manifold and all new control arms, but my warranty covered those items. Other than that it's just been oil and breaks. If anyone has owned or driven the S6 extensively you know the car does everything well but nothing great. Which is honestly not a bad thing. However i am coming from a modded e60 M5 (constantly in the shop) so i am missing some power. I have debated modding the s6 with a full catless exhaust, custom intake and custom JHM tune, which I have been told would be pretty good gains, but probably still not worth the $$$. And honestly being in DC I can never really open her up.

With that being said I have always had a fascination with Cayennes. I figure a ctt performs similar to my c6 s6 but with the comfort and space of an suv; not that cargo space is currently lacking. I have driven every generation turbo and GTS, and I have always loved the way they drove and looked.

Sorry for the long winded post but has anyone gone from a c6 s6 (or similar) to a cayenne turbo or even a gts? If so can you provided some insight on your experience?

Or I could just say screw it and get a 996 turbo...since I really don't need an suv. Single, not married, no dog or hauling duties just kinda big at 6'4 210 lbs+

C/N: I have car ADD...but have always loved CTTs

Old 01-26-2014, 04:14 PM
DirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud ofDirtyVegas has much to be proud of
I had a 2008 C6 S6. I have done pretty much all I could without going nuts, and the car still was not quick/fast. There were many things I liked about the S6 that I still haven't found in many cars. Solar sunroof for auto fan is one example. Beautiful interior is another.

I also have a CTT in the family. The two cars are very different as you already know, but the CTT feels much stronger, and faster. It will not turn nearly as well as the S6, but in the same time I never tossed the S6 around. The electronics are different in the Cayenne and the seats are not nearly as comfortable. I thought the S6 was just great when it came to the seats and their comfort, the Cayenne seats are something that you will need to get used to.

The good thing about the CTT is that it is a Turbo, and modding is much easier than NA Audi. That said, why aren't you considering the C7? I am in love with the C7 S6 and what is available with just a tune from APR is pretty amazing.

I wen't from C6 S6 to 997 C2S and felt like I gave up too much in room and comfort so I had to get a big body Benz to compensate. You should really think hard about making that transition if you're considering going the 911 route. I would not do it again.

In the end I think that if you are after power than CTT is a step up from C6 S6. I think that 996 was already dated about 5 years back, so I would imagine it would be super dated now. After you get over having a 911 Turbo in your driveway the reality of dated technology will set it very quickly. I wouldn't invest that direction, especially for DD.

I'd say a CTT or 997 Turbo if you want the used P route... but I'd take a 2013 S6 with APR any day over those two cars.

Last edited by DirtyVegas; 01-27-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:33 PM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
I am also tall (6ft3in) and have a 996 turbo and a cayenne! I love my 996 and they are such a screaming deal with the motor they have and mod potential! But to DD the Cayenne is so much nicer! And fun as hell to drive when u mod it! Plus you do get some nasty weather in DC so I would say Cayenne! Honestly though you could have both for 80k so do that! Lol!

Old 01-28-2014, 02:25 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Seriously, It is hard for me to imagine a better daily driver: comfortable, reliable, fun to drive, V8 gurgle, booost!, will put most anything away on the road (modded, sans supercar), looks stanced while parked (lowering module), attractive/aggressive to me, curb appeal (people peering in windows), towing, bad weather, oversized runs to Costco and Home Depot. Not sure what else I could ask for...

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 01-28-2014 at 02:30 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:09 PM
airbil is on a distinguished road
Let me explain.
Too long.
Let me summarize.
6'4" 2xx
=
Cayenne tt
(I have both S6 & CttS and the Cayenne is just a very solid DD / hauler of 4 people in total comfort.)

Old 02-04-2014, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by airbil
Let me explain.
Too long.
Let me summarize.
6'4" 2xx
=
Cayenne tt
(I have both S6 & CttS and the Cayenne is just a very solid DD / hauler of 4 people in total comfort.)
Thanks for the insight. In my test drives of the CTT I have found the vehicle to be very comfortable and smoother than my S6. Being an SUV the car is also easier to get in and out of, some of my friends and family have complained that the S6 is somewhat of a chore to get in and out of. I do not think it's that big of a deal, but i guess I am just used to it, I would imagine thick bolsters and rather low seats make it difficult for some. However, once seated, I do find the S6 to have one of the most comfortable seats and driving position (Which was echoed by DirtyVegas above).

I think if the right opportunity comes up I should seriously consider the 08 CTT, as the trade-up in price from the C6 S6 would not be that significant. Only reason I may hesitate is that my S6 has been fairly reliable, and I was able to get a very comprehensive warranty on the S6 which is good for another 2.5 years/50k miles...Although may be that would help my resale value

My question to you is, why have you still held onto the C6 S6 if you have a CTTS?

Last edited by VTGT; 02-04-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Wink

We have a C5 S6 Avant with over 200k on it. My wife won't part with it for anything!! I've offered to give her my CTT with half the miles and she won't budge Some people just prefer the Audi!

.....but of course the C5 S6 is cooler and rarer than the C6 S6

Old 06-07-2014, 06:50 AM
update: bought GTS and kept S6

Hey everybody. Long time no update. I ended up installing a full 2.75 x-pipe catback exhaust all the way to the stock mufflers and installed msds filters on the s6.

As far as other maints/repairs on the vehicle I had brand new intake manifold installed new plugs and a new injector. And let me tell you anyone that claims that a properly modified s6 is slow must be used to much more power. Power is similar to how my e60 m5 was stock and faster from a dig. The traction control light will come on at 40 to 50 my in 2nd 3rd gear. Maybe I have a strong example but I am very happy and do not ever see myself selling the vehicle.

As for the GTS it is the perfect daily for me. Similar in power to my s6 when it was stock, and it handles better in most scenarios to 80 mph. Will be doing similar mods to GTS as well full X pipe exhaust with secondary cats removed and custom intake with msds filters.

C/N: I love c6 s6 and GTS combo

Old 06-07-2014, 11:03 PM
airbil is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTGT
My question to you is, why have you still held onto the C6 S6 if you have a CTTS?
Woah ! Been away from here awhile.

Long story but I tricked myself into a c6S6 4-5 yrs ago, let my wife use it and even call it her own. Although the title sez her name, for sure it's mine since I take care of it and even drive it on occasion. Not many v10's will ever be made again I think.
Whenever I drive it I am reassured not to sell it.
Like the CttS, I think I'm gettin away with something when out n about.
It's really an oddball car I dunno why they even built it. No place to really drive it in US of A as I mostly envision it on an autobahn.
I had (n still do) a C4s6 avant that's a finished rs2 project although it's a little long in tooth with 200k.
CttS is the most solid little truck in the universe.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by airbil
Woah ! Been away from here awhile.

Long story but I tricked myself into a c6S6 4-5 yrs ago, let my wife use it and even call it her own. Although the title sez her name, for sure it's mine since I take care of it and even drive it on occasion. Not many v10's will ever be made again I think.
Whenever I drive it I am reassured not to sell it.
Like the CttS, I think I'm gettin away with something when out n about.
It's really an oddball car I dunno why they even built it. No place to really drive it in US of A as I mostly envision it on an autobahn.
I had (n still do) a C4s6 avant that's a finished rs2 project although it's a little long in tooth with 200k.
CttS is the most solid little truck in the universe.
Hehe yup. I honestly never see myself selling the s6 or gts. I thought they would be too similar but they are opposite in cool ways. The GTS loves to rev and I find that it handles quick corners better than the s6 with the latitude summers. While I prefer the s6 for long sweepers and straights. I have driven the new cayennes and all new audi s models and while they are quick they lack soul. He'll I love the v10 so much I've considered picking up an s8 in addition to the s6, but I'll probably trick myself into an a8 w12.

One thing I can say is when these cars are in sport mode they are very challenging to drive slow. Throttle response on the v10 with all my exhaust and intake work is absurd and the gts is amazing considering it's weight. I cannot wait to add custom intake and exhaust something about big NA german motors.

With that being said I do see a Panamera turbo in my future after driving them extensively they have really grown on me; even with that said, I still get excited to jump back into the s6 very time. Perfect blend of exotic performance, luxury and rarity for me.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:17 PM
On a separate note; I've been driving my girls new BMW M235i all weekend and that's one helleuva fun little light car that reminds me of great bmws of the past. And while I love it for its agility, and raw speed and handling, I jumped right into the gts and still had more fun life is good and I'm so thankful to have the opportunity to own both of these marvelous machines.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:05 PM
Well it has been almost exactly a year since I last bumped this thread. I should probably just create another one but oh well here it goes. I still have the GTS which I still love, I finally got around to doing a full 2.75 x pipe exhaust similar to my s6 minus the secondary cats. Intake will be going on soon as well, love this truck! In sad news, my s6 was totaled last September, it's funny that after i had it almost perfectly modded/maintained and convinced myself to never sell it that happens ..

.so now I'm looking for a new companion. I'd like to keep the price under 30k as I'm pumping most of my money into my businesses these days. I would like something radical to the gts, the problem is the gts is such an all around performer its hard to find a car to fill its gaps. Anyways here's my list, open to opinions:

1. D3 S8 (I know much the same as my s6 but hey it's all aluminum, has more lux, and same great motor- I'd do a header back exhaust, full intake and tune this time at Jhm)
2. Audi rs4 (seems to be a nice split personality car but it wasn't nearly as comfortable as my s6, and I've heard most people say they're gts feels like a lifted rs4 )
3. Audi S5 4.2 + Supercharger (seen 11.1, pretty impressive and nice mix of the two cars above for a decent cost)
4. 996 S/C4S X51 (hard to find x51 package especially under 30k and most 996 are tired and I hear performance wouldn't even be that great coming from the gts and my former e60 M5)
5. e60 m5 or M6 manual only (the e60 m5 I formally owned was the most love hate relationship, most of the hate was the smg in day to day situations, so I'd like to try out the manual m5)
6. 2010 Jaguar XFR (great performance with tune and pulley ~590hp, however I don't see this car ever being a classic and I'd like to choose a car I'd keep for a very long time)
7. None of the above, sock money in biz, and buy a v10 r8 in 2 years or less

Although 7 is probably smartest, I figure that I only live once, and I miss my duo of cars with split personalities. Interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:22 PM
No one has opinions or once to advise on what's in their garage keeping their cayenne company?

Old 07-09-2015, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by VTGT
No one has opinions or once to advise on what's in their garage keeping their cayenne company?
Any thoughts here?

Old 07-10-2015, 11:38 AM
timwu12 is on a distinguished road
if you can afford a v10 r8 in 2 yrs or less, then of all your options, that's definitely the one I'd go for!

<2 yrs is not a terribly long wait! Ordering a new car from porsche can take upwards of 6 months, or a year if you want, and a nearby dealer still has access to, a GT4.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C6 S6 (or similar) to 955/957 Cayenne Turbo/GTS?