Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Stripped threads on engine torque arm?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 03:38 PM
BamaScoot is on a distinguished road
Stripped threads on engine torque arm?

Not sure if that's what it's called, referring to the arm on the top passenger side of the engine. Changed out the spark plugs (WOW what a difference!) and checked the coils (all 07 but all good) but couldn't get the lower two bolts off for this thing. Got the top just fine, but the lowers would spin then "slip" as if they are cross threaded. Could this have happened by the shop over-tightening? Any suggestions in getting them out? Would really like to change that 8th plug...

Old 07-30-2014, 02:57 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
Are you refering to where the torque arm bolt to the bracket or to the body? When I swapped out my coolant tank I had to remove it from the body and removed the whole assy.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:03 AM
If memory serves me right there are 3 or 4 bolts holding the bracket in and one of them requires removeal of headlight.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:53 AM
I'm talking about the ones you have to remove to get to the coil/plug... the ones on the engine side.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:32 PM
Ouch, I hope its not as bad as it sounds. Dont see why people dont use anti-seize on bolts that see heat change.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:55 PM
It's not seized. It spins freely. Just feels like it's slipping inside there when it gets to a certain point, as if it is stripped. I have some needle nose vice grips but they're too fat to get down in the hole. Worst case scenario I'll sacrifice a socket, put a dab of JB weld inside it and let it mate with the bolt then apply pulling force while turning. That should help it "jump" the stripped thread. Hopefully, at least...

Old 07-30-2014, 03:09 PM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BamaScoot
It's not seized. It spins freely. Just feels like it's slipping inside there when it gets to a certain point, as if it is stripped. I have some needle nose vice grips but they're too fat to get down in the hole. Worst case scenario I'll sacrifice a socket, put a dab of JB weld inside it and let it mate with the bolt then apply pulling force while turning. That should help it "jump" the stripped thread. Hopefully, at least...
Can't you just pull up on the bracket while loosening the bolts to keep tension on them? You'll have to alternate between bolts, but it should work.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by XR4Tim
Can't you just pull up on the bracket while loosening the bolts to keep tension on them? You'll have to alternate between bolts, but it should work.
I did try that but wasn't able to get it to work. Between leaning over the hood and using one hand to ratchet I couldn't get much upward leverage on it. Guess I should try again with a buddy helping first...

Old 07-30-2014, 04:06 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Not to sound like a smart ***, but are you sure the bolt is spinning and you don't just have the wrong socket? Looking at a pic they don't look like regular hex head bolts but I'm not sure.

Edit: looking at a pic again they sure look like External torx. Here is a DIY on how to change plugs but he doesn't really say much about the bracket... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...placement.html

Last edited by jdubbya; 07-30-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:23 PM
mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !
THey are not a regular hex head. Not sure what they are called, but an 8mm six point socket worked perfectly for me.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by jdubbya
Not to sound like a smart ***, but are you sure the bolt is spinning and you don't just have the wrong socket? Looking at a pic they don't look like regular hex head bolts but I'm not sure.

Edit: looking at a pic again they sure look like External torx. Here is a DIY on how to change plugs but he doesn't really say much about the bracket... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...placement.html
No worries on being a smartass, it's a legit query. I have a 60 piece torx set and yes was using the correct torx socket. There are four bolts holding the large bracket down. Got the top two out no problem, just the bottom two are giving me an issue.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:09 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BamaScoot
No worries on being a smartass, it's a legit query. I have a 60 piece torx set and yes was using the correct torx socket. There are four bolts holding the large bracket down. Got the top two out no problem, just the bottom two are giving me an issue.
Just hard to tell how some folks will take that kind of question!

I'd try lightly wedging a pry bar under it to help get leverage. I hate when stuff like that happens. I'm trying to get the headlight switch out and can't get it to budge. Supposed to be so simple!!

Old 07-30-2014, 11:52 PM
Bigbuzuki will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jdubbya
Just hard to tell how some folks will take that kind of question!

I'd try lightly wedging a pry bar under it to help get leverage. I hate when stuff like that happens. I'm trying to get the headlight switch out and can't get it to budge. Supposed to be so simple!!
Headlight switch access may be better if you remove the dash side panel for the fuses. You can get access to the back of the switch from there.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:49 AM
Worst case you could (since this cayenne for you has been a B word) drive it off a cliff and collect insurance. If might knock the bolt free. LOL

Old 07-31-2014, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by Bigbuzuki
Headlight switch access may be better if you remove the dash side panel for the fuses. You can get access to the back of the switch from there.
Don't wanna hijack Bamma's thread but I tried pulling the cover too. First why is there not an easier way to remove that cover? Second, I still couldn't get the headlight switch out.

I'll play with it some more tonight!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stripped threads on engine torque arm?