Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Bose sub freaking out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:20 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Bose sub freaking out

'05 Cayenne turbo with the Bose system. All has worked fine until tonight when I got home from work. The stereo was off and I thought I heard thunder. After I pulled in the garage I thought maybe it was the new exhaust doing something funny. It was subtle but there.

Then it kept going after I shut the car off!! I just went back out and as soon as I turned the key, without even starting it the sub went NUTS..booming and buzzing Nothing I did, shutting the key off, opening the door, turning the stereo on and off...nothing did anything. It just kind of faded away over the next 15-20 seconds.

Any ideas what the hell this is about???

Old 08-18-2014, 09:58 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
I tell ya if it ain't one thing it's another. I guess I never shoulda asked about the puddle under the left rear. Not sure if it's from there but somehow the spare tire well was half full of water all of a sudden. I suppose the sub was shorting out since the bottom of it was under water.

Now I have to figure out where the water is coming from and fix that. Guess no stereo for a while.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:39 PM
I have half the rear compartment torn apart and the water must be coming from the left side. I must have knocked something loose or looked at it wrong and plugged it.

Haven't had any rain here so it has to be the rear AC drain. The sub had water inside the enclosure and the control panel was probably under water. No idea if it'll be toast or not?!?

Old 08-19-2014, 03:38 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
I forget his name but there was another member here a while back that had a similar leak that you are talking about after he had his pano roof replaced. Needless so say it didnt end good. I hope those demons dont visit you. Guess that explains where the water was coming from. I would take the tim out of the back of the vehicle headliner bits included and trace down the leak.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...insurance.html

Old 08-19-2014, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by gh0stman
I forget his name but there was another member here a while back that had a similar leak that you are talking about after he had his pano roof replaced. Needless so say it didnt end good. I hope those demons dont visit you. Guess that explains where the water was coming from. I would take the tim out of the back of the vehicle headliner bits included and trace down the leak.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...insurance.html

Nah, I'm sure it's the AC drain. It's been dry since I had it and only since I was poking around have there been any issues. And it's been dry and warm here.

After I posted last night I realized I also had the exhaust done last week too so he could have bumped something. I'll dig into it more tonight. I have most of the trim off in the rear just need to get the big panel off to get my eyes and hands in there. I'm willing to bet it's just a loose hose or something.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:36 PM
Sjt0017 is on a distinguished road
I was the one who Ghostman was talking about who had my pano roof replaced after my truck was vandalized. The truck ended up being totaled out by insurance, I had water leaking through my entire headliner and was leaving rust marks in the carpet at the bottom of all 4 doors, standing water 6+ inches in the hatch, tons of electrical issues, etc. the rust marks are a good indicator of water leaks, unless of course you have black carpet.

Check both rear pillars and see if they feel cold or wet. You might want to spray water over your sunroof extensively and check them a half hour later to be sure, just in case it hasn't rained in a while. There are roof drains that tunnel water from the sunroof out of the truck (what I originally thought was my problem) that sometimes get clogged. The only way to check for it is to remove a lot of panels in the hatch area, including the pillar and back part of the roof liner and checking the drain tubes. You can probably find a diy from others who have replaced their hatch struts to show you how to properly remove those panels.

Let us know what you find out, if the pillars are dry then you might want to randomly place towels around the area to try & find out the location of the leak.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Sjt0017
I was the one who Ghostman was talking about who had my pano roof replaced after my truck was vandalized. The truck ended up being totaled out by insurance, I had water leaking through my entire headliner and was leaving rust marks in the carpet at the bottom of all 4 doors, standing water 6+ inches in the hatch, tons of electrical issues, etc. the rust marks are a good indicator of water leaks, unless of course you have black carpet.

Check both rear pillars and see if they feel cold or wet. You might want to spray water over your sunroof extensively and check them a half hour later to be sure, just in case it hasn't rained in a while. There are roof drains that tunnel water from the sunroof out of the truck (what I originally thought was my problem) that sometimes get clogged. The only way to check for it is to remove a lot of panels in the hatch area, including the pillar and back part of the roof liner and checking the drain tubes. You can probably find a diy from others who have replaced their hatch struts to show you how to properly remove those panels.

Let us know what you find out, if the pillars are dry then you might want to randomly place towels around the area to try & find out the location of the leak.

I think I read your story during some of my research somewhere. Amazing so much water could get in and do that kind of damage!!

I'm almost positive mine is the rear AC condenser drain. It hasnt' rained here in quite a while, I haven't been through the car wash in a couple weeks, it's been pretty warm, and I was just in the spare well a week or so ago and there was no water.

I have a lot of the trim off already and have done the struts already too. I should have it traced down tonight I hope.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:06 AM
Lesson learned

Well I was right, it was the rear A/C condenser drain. Either I knocked it loose poking around or the guy installing the exhaust did. Either way it took a LOT of work to get to it.

I should have taken some pics to share but I wanted to get it done and back together. Basically the condenser and blower motor are in the left rear side of the rear compartment. You pull all the trim around the rear hatch and the side panel. The drain is on the rear-bottom of the blower box and is tucked in behind a little electrical control box (I have no idea what it is). I dried it all out and got the drain tube back on. It is only a slip joint so I put a wire tie around it so it hopefully won't come off again.

I didn't quite get it all back together but figured a little time to dry out won't hurt things either. Haven't plugged the sub back in but more time for it to dry out can't hurt either. I'll try plugging it back in tomorrow to see if it's fried or not.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:56 AM
Glad to hear you got it figured out. Hopefully there isnt any damage to the speaker.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:54 PM
Glad to hear you got it figured out. Hopefully there isnt any damage to the speaker.
Well so far no luck with the sub. Finished putting the rest of the cargo area back together, plugged the sub back in and it's still not happy. It's got a little box on the bottom that looks like it got wet. I took it apart and cleaned it up a bit but I'm guessing something shorted. I'll let it dry out for awhile longer and try it again but it may be shot. We shall see.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:29 PM
After doing a bit of research it looks like that is an amp. The stereo still works without the sub plugged in so I'm guessing the amp is shorted somewhere. Anyone know where to get one? Or any experts think it could be fixed? I'm no electrical genius and wouldn't know where to start trying to fix it myself.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:54 AM
I got 3 10's in a box at the house if you need a sub. LOL

Old 08-21-2014, 08:55 AM
I got 3 10's in a box at the house if you need a sub. LOL
Interestingly, looking around some it seems that the sub can be replaced pretty simply with a new amp and speaker. But I don't think it needs 3 10's

Old 08-26-2014, 11:36 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
jdubbya,

I have my stock Bose sub in my garage, if you decide you need a replacement. Just PM me.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
jdubbya,

I have my stock Bose sub in my garage, if you decide you need a replacement. Just PM me.
Darn. Just a few days late. I found one on eBay. Should be here today or tomorrow. Didn't gouge me too bad, I got it for $160.

I think just the amp is bad but couldn't find one for sale anywhere so picked up the whole thing. I will try it out with my old one and if the speaker still works maybe I can recoup a bit of the cost.

I also found somewhere about stuffing poly filling up in the port to improve the sound. Gonna try that too.

Oh and as an update to the water issue I trepidatiously went through the car wash yesterday and checked the spare well. Dry as a bone. Hard to believe the condenser puts out that much water!!!