Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Suspension refresh work inquiry

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 10:10 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Suspension refresh work inquiry

I got a set of front suspension components, and wanted to see if someone can chime in with info on anything that is tricky when doing the parts replacement.
I am aware I will have to do 4 wheel alignment after the replacement.
Also, I have not done suspension work on the CTT, so wonder how much time I should dedicate to the job, without having to rush.
I have typical air tools, wrenches, ball joint pullers, etc, etc, found in any home where someone does some car work on their own.
So if I need special tools, tricks, magic, etc, to do the work, please chime in.

My components to replace are:
- Lower control arms - front - both sides
- Upper control arms - front - both sides
- tie rod assembly - front - both sides
- sway bar links - front - both sides
- sway bar links - rear - both sides

Thanks.

Last edited by ciaka; 04-09-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:41 PM
pastorom is on a distinguished road
Nothing to contribute, but just wanted to request thoughts/diy/pics/video since i would like to tackle these as well soon!

Old 04-09-2015, 01:00 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
When I do them, I'll see about getting some.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:29 AM
EMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud of
The rear sway bar links are easy. I would also suggest doing the sway bar bushings at the same time (extremely quick, easy and cheap). I believe there are are some DIY's on the Pelican forum.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:44 AM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Might find some help for DIY in our Tech Articles or if you have any other questions you can check out our Tech Forum. Good luck!

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-24-2015, 12:30 PM
greatly appreciate it.
Trying to arrange things to have the time to do the job and then right away do alignment.
hoping next weekend will be the time.
Yeah, thought about the sway bar bushings too. Maybe will be tempted. Thanks again.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:16 PM
EMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ciaka
greatly appreciate it.
Trying to arrange things to have the time to do the job and then right away do alignment.
hoping next weekend will be the time.
Yeah, thought about the sway bar bushings too. Maybe will be tempted. Thanks again.
Good luck with the project. I must say I found it quite a pleasure to work on the Cayenne suspension. Nice big parts and not at all cramped to work on compared to many other cars. If you don't already have an impact wrench, I highly recommend getting one. It makes things much faster and easier.

I bought one of these (link below) prior to installing the coilovers on my Cayenne. It loosened some bolts that would not budge with a breaker bar. I know many people prefer air impacts but this particular model is incredibly powerful.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-8-amp...1&blockType=G1

Here is my coilover install thread:
http://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-c...s-of-pics.html

Old 04-26-2015, 01:09 AM
...Ive got all the air tools needed.
One reason I do not foresee issues (knock on wood).
Thanks again.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:39 AM
pastorom is on a distinguished road
Ciaka,

Responding on this thread instead of your DIY ones. After your DIYs i've been inspired to tackle the front control arms (upper and lower), front tie rod assembly, and front and rear sway bar links. A few questions.

- Did you visually inspect and determine that your rear control arms and swap bar bushings (front and rear) did not need replacement? Wondering if i should tackle these.
- I'm looking at parts on pelican and ecs tuning, and there are a fairly large variety. Did you go with OEM or aftermarket like lemforder/meyle? Obviously over a large number of parts the price difference starts to add up, but at the same time i do not want to get inferior parts.

Anyone have any idea on difference between the various manufacturers?

Old 07-01-2015, 01:19 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Over time, the rubber bushings inside suspension components will eventually wear out and start to deteriorate. This can manifest in a number of different handling problems. You should inspect the control arm bushings for wear every couple of years. I'd recommend Lemforder or looking at the OEM supplier parts if you are not wanting to go with genuine Porsche parts. Lemforder makes a quality product. If that's what you're looking at for the control arms, tie rods (they're the OEM supplier) sway bar links, it's a good choice. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-01-2015, 05:54 PM
From what I saw, the only bushing that would be prone to go bad, would be the inner side, rear facing one (if you look at the car, and visualize the front control arm as it is attached to vehicle).
There are 4 mount locations for control arms, two on inside of car, one near ball joint, and another the ball joint itself.

Of the 4 points, the ball joint and the inner rear facing one are prone to defects. The inner rear facing one can tear over time, which can be remedied by buying the Cayenne Turbo S version of the control arm.
The ball joint will wear over time and will manifest in loose handling on steering wheel, or vibration if bad enough.

Lower control arms are hard to visually inspect to see damage. Each bushing is inserted into a brace that surrounds them, so once installed, all you see is the hardware that has it all attached. No spaces. you can use crow bar to pry stuff, but because they are bushings, they will give, and can give you false sense of fail.
So I would look for loose driving on wheel, vibration that cannot be resolved via balancing/rotation of tires, and squacking noise coming from front part of car, when you drive over bumps.
If you search for my posts related to suspension, you will see info from other forum member, that gives you pictures of bushings, etc. Useful info here.

If you do this, make sure you have new eccentric bolts, nuts and washers for the inner attachments, as old ones may prevent wheel alignment from holding (yes, you need alignment right after you do this job - I scheduled mine Monday am, very close to home, and did work Sunday without any driving).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions. Take your time and do not rush. I think very worth doing - car handling feels so much better now.

If you plan to keep for a while is get the turbo s ones. Bushings are much better and will not fail. Aftermarket parts are okay with quality ones.

As to rear ones, I would not know how to recommend. I will at some point inspect to see and probably replace, but not in huge rush.

Originally Posted by pastorom
Ciaka,

Responding on this thread instead of your DIY ones. After your DIYs i've been inspired to tackle the front control arms (upper and lower), front tie rod assembly, and front and rear sway bar links. A few questions.

- Did you visually inspect and determine that your rear control arms and swap bar bushings (front and rear) did not need replacement? Wondering if i should tackle these.
- I'm looking at parts on pelican and ecs tuning, and there are a fairly large variety. Did you go with OEM or aftermarket like lemforder/meyle? Obviously over a large number of parts the price difference starts to add up, but at the same time i do not want to get inferior parts.

Anyone have any idea on difference between the various manufacturers?

Last edited by ciaka; 07-01-2015 at 07:42 PM.