Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Coolant under car - problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 01:48 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Coolant under car - problem?

Parked car in garage after work. Today wake up, get into garage and find this (pic below). Right away start swearing. Get my juices going.
Anyone can suggest possible areas to look at?

Remember about 3 or 4 weeks ago I 'topped' up the coolant reservoir (container with the blue cap on driver side of engine compartment). Topped it up not to the upper edge of yellow plastic that says 'max', but to the bottom edge of the container opening (black plastic edge that the blue cap screws into).
It was much cooler then still outside. Over last few days it's been much hotter around here and I wonder if the resevoir just overfilled and let coolant out the overfill hose on that container.

Any ideas? Really appreciate it. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	422058  
Old 06-13-2015, 01:53 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Pic of resevoir and where level is at now after purge. Appears to be at upper edge of the yellow plastic.
When I initially topped up, it was up to bottom edge of black plastic.

Views:	58
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	422060  
Old 06-13-2015, 02:04 PM
Puddle after moving car.

Views:	84
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	422066  
Old 06-13-2015, 02:32 PM
Tracked coolant to this spot, above the upper control arm. Wonder where the overflow piping is with relation to this dripping. Or does this indicate possible resevoir fail. Help appreciated always.

Views:	56
Size:	577.5 KB
ID:	422080  
Old 06-14-2015, 06:21 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
If you look at the reservior you will see where the overflow tube go's thru the top of the shock tower right above the control arm.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:17 PM
That's what I assumed based on looking at the hoses coming off the reservoir. However I wasn't able to actually see the end of the hose.
Another point to suspect overflow is that the grooves inside reservoir, that coolant has to go through on way out, we're all wet.
After I removed excess from reservoir with syringe, the leaking stopped. So will have to keep an eye on it.

A big question I have is where do I check the actual cooling system level? At the reservoir? Since reservoir had extra fluid that gets sucked in if needed. I was looking for the rad cap so I can open to see the fluid level at the rad core, but this car seems different and I couldn't find the cap. The only place I can check is the reservoir.

Last edited by ciaka; 06-14-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:52 PM
Well, its been a few days since the initial spill observation.
Since I removed extra coolant from reservoir and kept level at MAX (top edge of yellow plastic with the MAX lettering on it), no coolant spill was observed.
Looks like my assumptions on reason for spill were correct.
Case closed.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:33 PM
mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !
Good to hear.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:32 AM
type957 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ciaka
Well, its been a few days since the initial spill observation.
Since I removed extra coolant from reservoir and kept level at MAX (top edge of yellow plastic with the MAX lettering on it), no coolant spill was observed.
Looks like my assumptions on reason for spill were correct.
Case closed.
It probably says in the manual, but most cars, when COLD you fill to the MIN mark.

The MAX mark is used to indicated where the level will be when the engine is HOT.

I would also never open a cap when the engine is HOT.

Makes sense when the engine is hot it expands the coolant to the max mark.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:54 PM
hulahula is on a distinguished road
Everything still good? My expansion tank started leaking intermittently for months. The tank was manufactured with a seam that is prone to fail. Add to the list of things to worry about.

Pelican has a page on the problem.

http://goo.gl/OuCYTl

RennTech has some pics of the split.

http://goo.gl/usMuY3

Old 08-28-2015, 07:04 PM
Yes. Since I remedied the problem there have been no further leaks. I am confident I overfilled. That was one of my worries? Split expansion container but no, no problem here. Knocking on wood.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:42 AM
Bigbuzuki will become famous soon enough
Worst case, a split expansion tank is not a big deal to fix anyways.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:02 PM
steven408 is on a distinguished road
just replaced my expansion tank, 05 CTT with 77k miles

Old 09-03-2015, 12:17 PM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
When I had mine the expansion tank split where the 2 plastic pieces meet. You can pick one up for about $75. It takes about an hour or so to do. Only because Porsche loves to put 10 pounds of sugar in a 5 pound bag. Just remove the head light and torque arm and you should be most of the way done.