Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne 957 choice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 01:53 PM
agentsmurf is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Cayenne 957 choice

Hi guys, thanks for taking the time to read this thread. I have been reading posts and gather info about my potential defection to Porsche from a LR4 V8. Having been though a few sporty vehicles including a Mitsubishi EVO 8, I have been enjoying the utility of the LR4, had a custom exhaust on the 5.0 V8, very nice sound. I have been hankering after the more performance orientated drive of the Cayenne but still require the ability to drive on some broken dirt roads during the odd trip on holidays. so...

I have an option to purchase a 08 GTS with 100,000km that is backed by porsche 1 year 200,000km maintenance plan, she is Nordic Gold and is in mint condition. Colour is growing on me. I checked the full list of work done and in there is about $8000.00 of spray work about 1000km ago, prior to that a small accident and again $3000.00 spray work. This is all done by Porsche and it looks great but worries me somewhat. This GTS has PDCC and is the only one I have found thus far to have this, hence my feeling to overlook the paint history. There is also a strange humming which is more evident when at rest, I have noticed it on most of these cars but this one is quite loud, I have been told by the dealer this is normal, can you guys shed some light on this issue, PDCC, or steering related?

The other vehicle is a 08 Turbo, black, with two tone chestnut interior but with the ruffled leather effect. She has 21inch wheels, Pano roof, and the Powerkit, which results in the larger brakes. The previous owner just replaced the brake disks front and rear, also listed on the work sheet from Porsche was Cardon shaft redo and bearing replacement, but also hidden away in there was $8000.00 paintwork. I can see evidence of bad paint finishing in the odd corner. The car drives very well, plenty of power, no odd vibrations or noises but terrible interior in my opinion.

Both vehicles same price Turbo has 134,000km on her, maybe a touch high??

Sorry for long winded descriptions, just wondering which option you guys would go for, GTS with Porsche backing or Turbo with dodgy interior and all great otherwise.

I found the turbo almost too powerful and a little slow to spoolup, also no real sound just me disappearing into the distance with every speed camera in the area waiting to take my photo.

the GTS felt way more connected, but rather slow, we are at altitude here, 2000m so about 20% loss in power for NA engines. Don't get me wrong she was great when booting it, just no where near the turbo in the midrange.

GTS with PDCC seems quite rare here and the Nordic Gold gives just enough kick to a special car. Nice exhaust seemingly no mods needed.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input.

Last edited by agentsmurf; 07-07-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:27 PM
timwu12 is on a distinguished road
i just bought that same combo 08 CTT in black with chestnut interior and i LOVE IT.

if the GTS is manual, that would be tons of fun

depending on how bad the black paint is, it can be detailed to take care of those small odd parts, but I totally understand that no one wants to pay for work right after paying for a premium car, even if it is used.

you can't go wrong with either choices, but if the turbo doesn't have PDCC, i don't know if i'd go for it. My requirements were turbo, pdcc, pano roof, black paint!

Old 07-08-2015, 01:09 PM
DLF
DLF is on a distinguished road
I've seen that GTS at Porsche Center Pretoria, it looks very good. It actually sits a bit lower than normal, so maybe it has a lowering kit on, or maybe the suspension was set lower, anyway it looked awesome. Did you consider the black turbo that was parked next to the GTS in the Showroom. It has an awesome spec, doesn't have the power kit, but it does have the PDCC.

I personally would steer clear of a car with any paint issues,especially if it already has had $8000 spent on it. That's a lot of paintwork in SA money, so there should really be no issues. I also think the bigger brakes on the powerkit are going to be an unnecessary expense when you have to replace them again (and you will if you drive it!!)

Mileage is not really and issue if she's been serviced correctly.

I would go for the GTS (or maybe go have a look at the Turbo that was next to it!)

Old 07-08-2015, 02:32 PM
agentsmurf is on a distinguished road
Hi DLF, yeah did look at the back Turbo, bit out of my price range though. That gold one seems the best bet but still R100,000K paintwork, thats why it looks so good. Although its was a very good job, and their spray booth is amazing, at least it was done by Porsche and not some dodgy panelbeaters. Am going to check out a Black GTS with 63K on the clock, same price but no PDCC.

Can you put smaller brakes back on, I guess that would entail smaller callipers etc, negating the cost saving.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by agentsmurf
Hi DLF, yeah did look at the back Turbo, bit out of my price range though. That gold one seems the best bet but still R100,000K paintwork, thats why it looks so good. Although its was a very good job, and their spray booth is amazing, at least it was done by Porsche and not some dodgy panelbeaters. Am going to check out a Black GTS with 63K on the clock, same price but no PDCC.

Can you put smaller brakes back on, I guess that would entail smaller callipers etc, negating the cost saving.
you probably could put smaller calipers on, but you'd need the matching smaller rotors.

If you did that, not only are you ripping out parts of what make the powerkit so great, but if you ever planned to resell the car (assuming you took off the larger brakes and sold it) you'd have a harder time trying to sell it.

DLF did bring up a good point though, rotors and pads for the turbo s brakes are $$$$$$$$ pricey compared to the regular brakes.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:55 PM
zzzx is on a distinguished road
get PDCC. you will love it

Old 07-28-2015, 02:05 PM
mrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nice
FYI...The humming sound IS normal for PDCC cars, they all do it. Nothing to be worried about.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by mrbrianc
FYI...The humming sound IS normal for PDCC cars, they all do it. Nothing to be worried about.
I can confirm that as well.

I took it to 2 shops, both said that it's normal