Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Why I dropped Porsche.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 11:20 AM
Hybrid will become famous soon enoughHybrid will become famous soon enough
Why I dropped Porsche.

After 6 Porsches, including a 993 Turbo and both 993 and 996C4Ss, it was time for a new car. The question wasn’t which car, but whichPorsche. Unfortunately, a quick check revealed that none of the high endPorsches have manual transmissions. I briefly considered switching to PDK, butautomatics simply suck the life out of me. So what could I do but searchelsewhere…My first choice was a Viper GT. I even set up the purchaseand arranged to drive 30 miles to the dealer that had the colors and options Iwanted. Good thing I sat in it before I signed anything. The roof extends sofar into the windshield that I couldn’t see the horizon! Damned…
My next choice was the Z06. This time I went down to thelocal Chevy dealership before anything else, and low-and-behold, I didn’t fitin the Z06 either. My head only brushed the roof, but after 3 years in a 928Swith the same clearance, I knew that bumps and constant shrugging wouldeventually evolve into a love/hate relationship.
My next choice was a used F430, but I couldn’t find a manualtransmission with the colors and options I wanted anywhere in the country.Well, there were 2, but the owners (rightfully) believed that the manualtransmission was worth an additional $50K. So the Ferrari was out of reach.
My next choice was a used Gallardo, but test drives of “showroomcondition” models revealed that it’s not really the daily driver some wouldhave you believe. I almost purchased a Verde Ithaca 6 speed anyway, but thedealership wouldn’t budge on price and wouldn’t accept a Porsche trade-in. DoubleDamn…
Then I drove an Aston Martin V12 Vantage. It really, reallysucked, but I could tell that a less nose heavy version with a manualtransmission would be perfect! So my search began…
Since the model hasn’t changed since 2010, my requirementswere “only” 2010 to Present, Manual, Grey or Titanium, Sat Nav, Sat Radio, 700Watt Sound and cruise control, hopefully with 20 spoke diamond cut wheels.Three months later I found it, a Quantum 2011 with the options I needed. Andthe dealer was negotiable and accepted my trade-in for a fair price. WooHoo!
It’s been over a year since, and I couldn’t be happier.
The 420 hp motor is a bit less than optimal, but it soundslovely. And if I ever get the itch, The Bamford Rose headers and cats can add40hp, and the Velocity filters, tune and dual clutch / LFW can add another40hp. It’s a lot like modding a Porsche, $10K for 80hp, and you get to keep thebalance and ride of the factory original vehicle.
So yea, there IS a substitute.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:39 AM
AM v12v is on a distinguished road
I would have guessed you would be very happy.

I have had Porsches for nearly 10 years starting with a Boxster S then moving up through 996's to GT2 and 997 Turbo before going classic with IROC recreation and 964 cup, 993 3.8c2 and 964 Turbo. I LOVE Porsche but the market is crazy and prices for some stuff has more than quadrupled. I refuse to play in an overinflated market.

I moved to Lambo but found the 4WD system fairly unrewarding after I spent enough time in it and the clutch seemed to be made of candy. I then went to a F430 and loved it but it had some issues so it had to go.

I recently bought a V12V because a friend kept talking about them so I drove one to see what the fuss was about.

Besotted is the right word!

Old 09-04-2015, 12:06 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hybrid

After 6 Porsches, including a 993 Turbo and both 993 and 996C4Ss, it was time for a new car. The question wasn’t which car, but whichPorsche. Unfortunately, a quick check revealed that none of the high endPorsches have manual transmissions. I briefly considered switching to PDK, butautomatics simply suck the life out of me. So what could I do but searchelsewhere…My first choice was a Viper GT. I even set up the purchaseand arranged to drive 30 miles to the dealer that had the colors and options Iwanted. Good thing I sat in it before I signed anything. The roof extends sofar into the windshield that I couldn’t see the horizon! Damned…
My next choice was the Z06. This time I went down to thelocal Chevy dealership before anything else, and low-and-behold, I didn’t fitin the Z06 either. My head only brushed the roof, but after 3 years in a 928Swith the same clearance, I knew that bumps and constant shrugging wouldeventually evolve into a love/hate relationship.
My next choice was a used F430, but I couldn’t find a manualtransmission with the colors and options I wanted anywhere in the country.Well, there were 2, but the owners (rightfully) believed that the manualtransmission was worth an additional $50K. So the Ferrari was out of reach.
My next choice was a used Gallardo, but test drives of “showroomcondition” models revealed that it’s not really the daily driver some wouldhave you believe. I almost purchased a Verde Ithaca 6 speed anyway, but thedealership wouldn’t budge on price and wouldn’t accept a Porsche trade-in. DoubleDamn…
Then I drove an Aston Martin V12 Vantage. It really, reallysucked, but I could tell that a less nose heavy version with a manualtransmission would be perfect! So my search began…
Since the model hasn’t changed since 2010, my requirementswere “only” 2010 to Present, Manual, Grey or Titanium, Sat Nav, Sat Radio, 700Watt Sound and cruise control, hopefully with 20 spoke diamond cut wheels.Three months later I found it, a Quantum 2011 with the options I needed. Andthe dealer was negotiable and accepted my trade-in for a fair price. WooHoo!
It’s been over a year since, and I couldn’t be happier.
The 420 hp motor is a bit less than optimal, but it soundslovely. And if I ever get the itch, The Bamford Rose headers and cats can add40hp, and the Velocity filters, tune and dual clutch / LFW can add another40hp. It’s a lot like modding a Porsche, $10K for 80hp, and you get to keep thebalance and ride of the factory original vehicle.
So yea, there IS a substitute.
Congrats, and welcome to the fold. I totally understand the desire for a manual transmission, they are deal breakers for me too.

And.... we do some great headers/cats too

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 09-04-2015, 12:53 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I just wrote this in the ad for the N420 in the cars for sale section:

I have a 13 and this isn't my first sports car. I had a light 911 C2 that was a blast to drive, an M5 that was violent in a straight line but handled like a tank, and a 550hp 996TT. Fun but just not inspiring

The Aston V8V is a wonderful car. It oozes sex appeal with the aesthetics being just about perfect. Although heavy the weight distribution and really well sorted chassis make it feel much lighter than it is. It's the last of the analog cars so you get fantastic feedback from all controls except maybe the throttle. It could use some more torque but if you drive it hard you will be rewarded with gobs of fun. This is the most enjoyable car I've ever owned and I will keep it for a long time.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:03 PM
bluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of lightbluebarchetta is a glorious beacon of light
I love my car, and am not a big "Porsche Guy", but after driving my friends Cayman GT4 (only available with a true manual trans), I could be tempted by that thing.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:23 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Those are great cars, but aren't they selling for $25k over MSRP? If they keep production numbers down it will be a classic someday.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:52 PM
CoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really nice
Yeah, they are. Ludicrous money, though I'm sure they are a future classic. Brilliant package and design; finally allowed to compete with 911 performance.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:32 PM
Hybrid will become famous soon enoughHybrid will become famous soon enough
I agree that the new Cayman GT4 is a great sports car, but a classic? Seems that Porsche is doing all it can to keep the Cayman/Boxster in the "Poor Man's Porsche" category. Although the German translation for "poor" isn't exactly clear...

Old 09-08-2015, 05:12 PM
If I was going to get another Porsche, which I'm not for at least a long while, it would be the GT4. It's almost like the bean counters goofed and let the engineers produce a perfect car right in the middle of the lineup.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:02 PM
larryg is on a distinguished road
Having recently traded my 2008 Carrera S cab with 2800 miles for a new V8V coupe, I am certainly in a position to comment on the issue.
Over the years I have owned at least ten 911s (1972 to 2008). They are beautifully engineered and arguably have the best build quality of any marque. While surfing the Internet in late May I stumbled across a new Volcano red Vantage coupe with MT at Washington, DC Aston. Four days later the new Aston arrived in an enclosed single car carrier, the Porsche was loaded in the carrier and I now owned my first Aston.
Perhaps I just needed a change but the Vantage makes me smile just walking into the garage. Clearly one of the prettiest modern cars, it attracts even more attention than my new R8. Porsches are great cars but IMO significantly less interesting than our beloved Astons.

Last edited by larryg; 09-08-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:13 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I've had 7 928's... My orange 450 HP chevy powered one I sold in the recession is on ebay for sale for $17,000, about what the paint job cost! Anyway, tomorrow I'm buying my 3rd Vantage, a slightly used 2015 GT... Once your bitten, can't go elsewhere!

Old 09-09-2015, 01:24 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
I find the Porsche to Aston defection interesting. I've never, ever wanted a Porsche, at least not a 911. A 914 on the other hand, I might enjoy.

Anyhow, I should want a 911. It's quirky (design and package). It was an underdog that has stuck to it's guns and come out on top over and over again, constantly silencing critics. But still, they've never spoken to me. I don't like the sound. I don't like the styling (until the 2014). I don't care for the overall package. But I deeply respect the car and those who love them.

Meanwhile, Aston Martin first spoke to me when the DB7 (and it's cousin the XK) were unveiled. It helped that I was at Art Center, surrounded by other car guys and we all encouraged each other's lust. I knew next to nothing about the brand, its history, story, anything. I knew they were expensive, fast(ish) and most of all beautiful. Certainly the most beautiful thing on the road at the time. And that's how it's been.

I don't care what's faster, more g-ier, lower, louder, more powerful. The Aston Martins that I love are fast enough. They're more quietly beautiful than their peers. Their song is more alluring than any other. I wish the 911 all the fans and success it deserves. But I always do love knowing when one of her suitors comes over to the Aston Martin ball.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:55 AM
larryg is on a distinguished road
IbisRider not only appreciates and understands the asthetics of the car world-he is a wonderful writer.
I very much enjoyed reading his comments

Old 09-09-2015, 10:23 AM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by IbisRider
I find the Porsche to Aston defection interesting. I've never, ever wanted a Porsche, at least not a 911. A 914 on the other hand, I might enjoy.

Anyhow, I should want a 911. It's quirky (design and package). It was an underdog that has stuck to it's guns and come out on top over and over again, constantly silencing critics. But still, they've never spoken to me. I don't like the sound. I don't like the styling (until the 2014). I don't care for the overall package. But I deeply respect the car and those who love them.

Meanwhile, Aston Martin first spoke to me when the DB7 (and it's cousin the XK) were unveiled. It helped that I was at Art Center, surrounded by other car guys and we all encouraged each other's lust. I knew next to nothing about the brand, its history, story, anything. I knew they were expensive, fast(ish) and most of all beautiful. Certainly the most beautiful thing on the road at the time. And that's how it's been.

I don't care what's faster, more g-ier, lower, louder, more powerful. The Aston Martins that I love are fast enough. They're more quietly beautiful than their peers. Their song is more alluring than any other. I wish the 911 all the fans and success it deserves. But I always do love knowing when one of her suitors comes over to the Aston Martin ball.
Amen.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:11 AM
RudyP is on a distinguished road
I have always been (and believe I will always continue to be) a Porsche die hard. I love the 911 in a more thorough and rounded way than I love any other car. That said, 3 years ago, owning three different 911 generations at the time (993, 996TT and 997) I decided to do something different and bought a Vantage. Always loved the looks and respected the car but hadn't looked at them too seriously until I decided to buy one on a bit of a lark.

Fast forward to today and while I remain a Porsche guy, I'm down to just one 911 in the stable and I don't really miss the other two. If I had more garage space though, I would have added a GT4 (buddy offered me an MSRP allocation a few months ago that I had to pass on, sadly) or a 991 GT3RS ($$$ ouch) or even an older 911 convertible for slow cruising drives on nice summer nights.

Anyway, the point is, while I'm more loyal to Porsche, Aston makes a fine automobile! But I still can't imagine not having a 911 in the garage...

Last edited by RudyP; 09-10-2015 at 06:25 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why I dropped Porsche.