Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

What's the latest info on cat bypass mod?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 10:05 PM
Brewski88 is on a distinguished road
What's the latest info on cat bypass mod?

Hi guys,

Looking to do the secondary cat bypass mod, as it seems like the way to go for exhaust mods. Vehicle is a 2005 cayenne s.

I looked around quite a bit and could find info on leistung resonated 2ndary bypass and sharkwerks, however reviews were mixed on the customer service (and long lead times) on leistung. I like the sound of the resonated bypass...

What have people been doing recently for bypass pipes? Where have you been shopping? And is this still the "preferred" exhaust mod?

Thanks in advance,
Cam.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:54 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
From a price stand point on the CS, I wouldn't do it. It will sound better but the performance gains are minimal. Have you checked out Fabspeed?

Old 04-22-2016, 08:03 AM
ghostman - I'm not really concerned about the performance gains, it would be be for sound.

I was under the impression that from a price standpoint, the 2nd cat bypass mod was the way to go for exhaust mods?

Old 04-22-2016, 11:27 AM
zonnie is on a distinguished road
let me do the honors,

2nd cat bypass mod is STILL the preferred exhaust mod, from a PRICE standpoint, if you were only interested in sound.

there is no other worthwhile exhaust mod that you can do for around 500-600 bucks. Your only option for exhaust is to get a full set up or the PSE (porsche sport exhaust) and these options will cost you anywhere from 1500-3000 and subject to installation costs.

If money is not an issue, then do the PSE. If money is a factor, then get the LMS resonated pipes.

LMS (Leistung MotorSports) was sold to HanksVille, and the same 2nd cat bypass product is now being branded as HHR Resonated pipe on the HanksVille website. Hank is the owner of the shop now. I recently asked Hank to put it online again and another member has recently put in an order.

I have no ties or discounts with HHR, I just did my own research and have not pulled the trigger yet.

Things to consider re: NON Resonated pipes - people who have them installed either remove them eventually after the infatuation phase is over because of raspy, rattle, loudness, and the annoying loud cold start metallic sound. (Yes, I have read countless hours..people do love the initial change in sound!)

Because of these issues, LMS created a resonated version in hopes of mitigating the issues noted above. A member who recently got the LMS resonated pipe seemed to really like it. I could not find many people who have got the resonated version mainly because it came out much later.

So most ppl on here have the Fabspeed, LMS, or Sharkwerks regular non resonated pipes.

So if you were going for the cheapest exhaust mod, then it would be 2nd cat bypass. 2 options, resonated or non resonated. The only company making a resonated one is LMS aka HHR at Hanksville.

There are some old videos of the resonated pipes and it sounds pretty good on youtube from LMS.

Now that you have all this information, please put in an order and ask if you get a discount for buying 2 as I may want one or you can just purchase one and give me your review here!

I am curious to know if the resonated pipes solve the issues that come with the non resonated pipes.

My concerns are:

1. too loud
2. raspy
3. rattle
4. metallic sound on cold starts
5. drone
6. cheap sounding

let me know when you've pulled the trigger!

PS. I've dealt with Fabspeed and Hanksville and they both have good customer service. Hank seems like its a one man or small operation whereas fabspeed i think has a bigger team. That being said, Hank was very prompt via email and when I asked him about resonated pipes, he put it online immediately. So I don't think you'll have issues with either.

J

Last edited by zonnie; 04-22-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:03 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Zonnie,

Thank you for getting all of the info out there, although some I tend to disagree with. Most customers that I sell secondary catbypass pipes to are absolutely thrilled! On the V8 cars you get a significant sound increase compared to the Turbos and V6's that some customers think is too aggressive to each their own.

Secondary Catbypass - Product Link

Old 04-22-2016, 03:13 PM
Sorry, I just re-read my post and realized it could be read from an unfavorable angle! I will make an edit to the original post.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:21 PM
Old 04-23-2016, 04:37 AM
KTI
KTI is on a distinguished road
I have no affiliation with Hanksville (HHR). I choose them due to price point, proper hangers, good customer service.

Reason for secondary bypass. Weight saving, sound, and power gains. Overall I'm happy with it, the acceleration feels more responsive. I believe the Cayenne is suppose to sound like this, without the second cats.

HHR also has resonated ones.

Here's my recent installation on my 957 2008 Cayenne S

VIDEO

Secondary bypass next to the stock secondary cats.

everything included.

or forget it all and go straight pipe

VIDEO

Old 04-25-2016, 08:50 AM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Can't go wrong with Hanks or Fabspeed. I have heard favorable reviews from owners on both.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:51 PM
This is why I love this forum. Thank you for the info and opinions. I will put some thought into the decision (resonated vs. non). Good to know that people are still loving the secondary bypass, and that there are a number of options.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:32 PM
Tuscani66 is on a distinguished road
I did the bypass last weekend finally! Love it!

Weird, the rumours are true, the sound is minimal difference (or placebo effect) inside the cabin. I took my car off the rack because the shop guy said he was dirty and did not want to dirty my interior (nice guy), started the car, we both looked at each other and I said "I thought it would be louder" and he replied "so did I". Keep in mind cars are front loaded in racks and doors up, so no sound echo.

I did NOT notice a sound difference on the way home, however the butt dyno did feel a difference and I car hear the turbo down spool a bit. When I was backing in my drive way and the sound was bouncing off my garage before I raised it is when I noticed and I was shocked.

Parked the car in driveway, stood out the door, foot reached in to rev motor and wow, sounds great!

Morning came around (left car in driveway) and started the car, cold start and the rumble growl, wow, LOVE it!

Noise aside, you'll feel a bit difference (quicker pick up for turbo guys) but nothing to immediately hit the dyno for... great mod to do.

I'm ordering mufflers soon.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:21 AM
resonated or non?

Old 04-29-2016, 09:33 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
I think I was one of the first to buy straight bypass pipes from Hank as he was taking things over from Liestung ( I was probably one of the last to TRY ordering from Liestung as he was on his way out).

I also changed the rest of the system from there back with magnaflow mufflers and X-pipe.

Mine is still not that loud, or at least I don't think it is. If I keep it I would like to eventually put in a whole 3" system from at least the primary cat back.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:43 AM
williamsonoma is an unknown quantity at this point
Any updates on the resonated pipes? I'm deciding which to go with.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:58 AM
spooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the rough
Milltek Sport makes the best Cayenne Turbo bypass pipe bar none. It's completely mandrel bent stainless steel (no welded sections) and maintains all of the factory mounting points. In addition, it's 2.75" diameter versus most of the others out there that are only 2.5" diameter (which is actually smaller than the stock exhaust pipe diameter on the Turbo Cayennes. Depending on your application, it may require some minor modification for a perfect fitment, but having previously owned another brand, there's simply no comparison.

Last edited by spooltime; 09-24-2018 at 01:00 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's the latest info on cat bypass mod?