Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

cleaning up the cylinders

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 01:38 PM
Yardpro is on a distinguished road
cleaning up the cylinders

so i have an 08 cayenne with the dreaded ticking......

i found a few months back a short block. the cylinders have no scoring or marks, but one looks like water leaked into the cylinder after it was removed from the car and there is some black staining.

i am getting ready to dissasemble the crank, rods, and pistons and am looking for advise on reconditioning the surface of the bores.

i do know the deal with these cylinders, so my question is do i buy the paste and pads for a three stone diy hone and resurface the cylinders?

I cant find any machine shops locally that deal with hypereuctectic (sp?) cylinders.

if anyone had any advice on machine shops if this in not a diy process let me know.

I am trying to get the block ready for my rebuild.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:31 PM
tjrob2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just did a quick search on this and found a site by Sunnen. Sounds like you really need to get a machine shop to do this. http://www.sunnen.com/NewsDetails.aspx?NewsID=11

Old 07-20-2016, 05:46 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
I personally think you could do it yourself and get good results with an engine that runs great. However you won't be addressing the underlying problem and it seems like a big bill for not any peace of mind. By the time your done you will have spent a bunch on all the other stuff it takes to complete the swap.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:11 PM
Yardpro is on a distinguished road
i contacted sunnen. they sell a diy hone (mandrell and felt pads) that i can use on a drill if i just want to re-expose the silicon, and clean the walls

Old 01-17-2017, 10:47 PM
Zuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enoughZuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enough
Kolbenschmidt has a DIY manual on honing specs for alloy engines.

http://www.electrosil.com.au/pdf/KS.pdf