Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2012 Cayenne Tailgate not closing properly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 AM
jimlai322 is on a distinguished road
2012 Cayenne Tailgate not closing properly

Anyone else have this problem? Sometimes my power tailgate does not close properly at the last second before it locks, it give off a loud warning beep. There is nothing in the way of the tailgate.

Have to open the tailgate and re-close it. Its starting to happen more often.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:48 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
How far down is it getting before it stops? Does it always stop in the same place?

Could be the lock mechanism isn't moving freely (if it's getting that far down) or maybe an issue with the drive motor.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:53 AM
The tailgate is basically completely closed and you can hear the lock trying to engage when the warning beep sounds and everything stops.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
I'd guess the lock mech isn't working properly then. Maybe gunked up or it's cold enough (though in CA I would be surprised) that the grease is stiff.

Unless they open it and find you've been cramming stuff down there I would expect the dealer should be able to take care of it quickly under warranty.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Knowing my luck, the tailgate will close perfectly at the dealership. Will bring it up at my first service. Thanks for your input.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:16 AM
jesh is on a distinguished road
I am having the same issue on a 2011 turbo. Happens randomly.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Halfbreeded is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jimlai322
Anyone else have this problem? Sometimes my power tailgate does not close properly at the last second before it locks, it give off a loud warning beep. There is nothing in the way of the tailgate.

Have to open the tailgate and re-close it. Its starting to happen more often.

Jimlai322- I have a 2012 Cayenne and have the same issue. The tailgate will close all the way the beep and push out about 1/2 inch. Then you just tap the button again and it sucks back in and closes properly. I work at a Porsche dealer and got some good insight from my techs. The little flap that goes around the latch on the floor in the trunk slides side to side and flips down when the tailgate closes. This flap sometimes does not center properly and puts just enough resistance on the tailgate to activate the pinch protection. Which is the beep noise you hear.

It seems to happen a lot more when it is very cold outside. I had my whole trim piece and flap replaced and it worked great for a week or so. Then tonight it is 27 degrees out; it did it again. It is very annoying because I have to stand and watch the tailgate close every time now. I am trying to work out a solution with P-tech and will hopefully have a permeant fix shortly.

I hope this helps a bit when you explain it to your dealer.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the info Halfbreeded.

Please let us know if you find a permanent fix. The problem is not a huge deal, but it is very very annoying. The Cayenne is my wife's car and I know she will never notice the warning beep and probably drive off with the trunk not properly latched.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:22 PM
raking is on a distinguished road
I am very happy to read this link, as I have the exact same problem and the dealer has been unable to find a solution. Has there been a resolution from your end?

Old 03-01-2013, 09:48 AM
nhirsch will become famous soon enoughnhirsch will become famous soon enough
might it be something to do with where the key is? If you walk away with the key, it might stop. Obviously if there is a key in the car it will stop.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:06 AM
QuickOne is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem with my 2013 GTS. Anyone come up with any solutions for this yet? It's rather annoying, especially in the rain.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:12 PM
CAVU is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Halfbreeded
Jimlai322- I have a 2012 Cayenne and have the same issue. The tailgate will close all the way the beep and push out about 1/2 inch. Then you just tap the button again and it sucks back in and closes properly. I work at a Porsche dealer and got some good insight from my techs. The little flap that goes around the latch on the floor in the trunk slides side to side and flips down when the tailgate closes. This flap sometimes does not center properly and puts just enough resistance on the tailgate to activate the pinch protection. Which is the beep noise you hear.

It seems to happen a lot more when it is very cold outside. I had my whole trim piece and flap replaced and it worked great for a week or so. Then tonight it is 27 degrees out; it did it again. It is very annoying because I have to stand and watch the tailgate close every time now. I am trying to work out a solution with P-tech and will hopefully have a permeant fix shortly.

I hope this helps a bit when you explain it to your dealer.
This is exactly what is happening to me and my 2011 Cayenne S. It is frustrating the Porsche tech and service adviser, and me. They have replaced the power lock and the power struts. Still a problem. He took some measurements and it appears that the door is off a couple of millimeters and he thinks that is the next place to look. He said he saw something like this a year ago.

The Porsche Tech contacted the Tech Center (it is under CPO) with the service history and recommendation that the Porsche certified body shop is the next stop.

Anyone had this problem solved and if so, PLEASE how was it solved?

Thank you.

Last edited by CAVU; 02-17-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:30 PM
Black2014GTS is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem. Was planning on taking it in for service. Car has 3100 miles on it. Would be interested to hear the solution.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:31 PM
CAVU is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Black2014GTS
I have the same problem. Was planning on taking it in for service. Car has 3100 miles on it. Would be interested to hear the solution.
Please take it in and feel free to tell your service adviser to call Hugo at Porsche Annapolis and ask about what all they have done so far. I'm not promoting a fight. Just promoting a solution that helps all those affected.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:34 PM
TGED is on a distinguished road
Here in Toronto the temp often gets down to -20C or below, my 2013 Cayenne hatch has been closing fine for the past 2 years.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 Cayenne Tailgate not closing properly