Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne Diesel Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 10:23 PM
solrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to all
Cayenne Diesel Oil Consumption

Hello Guys,

3 weeks ago I had my oil changed, I noticed one bar was down since the oil change and now its another bar.. I don't have a dipstick to check the level, Should i be worried? or just add some oil till it reaches the top bar

Old 07-03-2015, 08:17 AM
ronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud of
I'd call your service tech. They most likely used the suction method to remove the oil, but maybe the drain plug is not tight enough. if you're losing oil that is a concern.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:43 AM
powdercoatmike has a spectacular aura aboutpowdercoatmike has a spectacular aura about
My last one usually burned enough oil to get an oil level message right about at the 5000 mark when the oil change was due.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:58 PM
solrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ronan
I'd call your service tech. They most likely used the suction method to remove the oil, but maybe the drain plug is not tight enough. if you're losing oil that is a concern.
Ronan, if They used The suction method what are The pros And The cons? If drain plug wasnt tight enough I can spot some OiL in my Garage Floor no?

Old 07-03-2015, 04:49 PM
ronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud ofronan has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by solrac6262
Ronan, if They used The suction method what are The pros And The cons? If drain plug wasnt tight enough I can spot some OiL in my Garage Floor no?
Another reason could be a bad seal. Look in engine bay (with cover off) to see if any oil is present outside of engine.

Down side to extraction method is the tech may not get all of the old oil out. The plug should be fine with extraction, however if traditional drain was used then maybe the plug isn't tight enough.

I'd still call the tech/dealer and not drive until resolved due to the amount lost in a short time period.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:56 PM
Another reason could be a bad seal. Look in engine bay (with cover off) to see if any oil is present outside of engine. Down side to extraction method is the tech may not get all of the old oil out. The plug should be fine with extraction, however if traditional drain was used then maybe the plug isn't tight enough. I'd still call the tech/dealer and not drive until resolved due to the amount lost in a short time period.
Thanks for The Good info, I was not aware of The extraction method, but makes sense, not getting all The OiL out, do you guys request The traditional method of The OiL change or is up to The dealer?

Old 07-03-2015, 07:22 PM
dealers I hear only do extraction. Find Gnat's diy thread or his signature for how to change your oil if you want to do it.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:42 PM
dealers I hear only do extraction. Find Gnat's diy thread or his signature for how to change your oil if you want to do it.
Yes found it, Good info, My Dealer charges for OiL changes around $220 I Think its good, but I'll check on monday with my S.A about The oil

Old 07-04-2015, 09:17 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Not a drop burned over 20k here. Any oil loss should be a bad sign, but Porsche has continually claimed its normal and refuses to do anything until it's just obscene (like a quart every few hundred miles or some other BS). What's sad is that the owners just suck it up and accept that garbage. It is equally ridiculous that they don't give us a physical dipstick.

My first fill dropped a bar pretty quickly, but never moved after that. My assumption was that I put less oil in than I should have and it getting forced into the filter is what caused the level to drop. Since then I've had a full 8 liters put in and the gauge has never changed between OCIs since then.

Unless it's really bad you won't see oil on the ground if there is a leak. You need to drop the belly pans.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:44 PM
thanks Gnat, I'll have it inspected on tuesday, I'm thinking best response from Dealer " tech didn't add enough oil" pffff

Old 07-09-2015, 08:07 AM
Good morning guys, took The CD to service Tuesday, they told me that piwis is more accurate on reading OiL, first I had 3 bars down, yesterday I got The CD back with 2 bars And now this morning again 2 bars is this something normal? Thanks all

Name:  image-2672424312.jpg
Views: 2514
Size:  440.9 KB

Last edited by solrac6262; 07-09-2015 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:41 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by solrac6262
Good morning guys, took The CD to service Tuesday, they told me that piwis is more accurate on reading OiL, first I had 3 bars down, yesterday I got The CD back with 2 bars And now this morning again 2 bars is this something normal? Thanks all
I don't understand the bold part. Are you saying when you picked it up it looked like what is shown in the pic and now this morning it still looks like that?

And that pic is not "down", that is exactly where it should be. There is still room for more oil before you get into an over fill situation, but you also have plenty of room before you get into an under fill situation too.

I have not heard anyone report the level going up, but I guess it is possible that if your fill is right at the border of the two indicators it could bounce back and forth in the right circumstances. The solution would be to add a tad more oil to get it off the border.

My first DIY fill was exactly as your pic shows and then after a few miles it dropped to 1 bar. As it stayed that way until the next OCI interval I didn't worry about it. Since then I just dump in the full* 8 liters and it stays at 4 bars on the gauge.

* Unless you leave each bottle there for a long time it's not really a full liter you are getting out of the bottle which is enough to keep it from an over fill situation in this case.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by gnat
I don't understand the bold part. Are you saying when you picked it up it looked like what is shown in the pic and now this morning it still looks like that? And that pic is not "down", that is exactly where it should be. There is still room for more oil before you get into an over fill situation, but you also have plenty of room before you get into an under fill situation too. I have not heard anyone report the level going up, but I guess it is possible that if your fill is right at the border of the two indicators it could bounce back and forth in the right circumstances. The solution would be to add a tad more oil to get it off the border. My first DIY fill was exactly as your pic shows and then after a few miles it dropped to 1 bar. As it stayed that way until the next OCI interval I didn't worry about it. Since then I just dump in the full* 8 liters and it stays at 4 bars on the gauge. * Unless you leave each bottle there for a long time it's not really a full liter you are getting out of the bottle which is enough to keep it from an over fill situation in this case.
Sorry my mistake, when I got it in it was 3 bars down And I got it back with 2 bars .

Today its showing again 3 bars.. But if this is normal I'm cool just wanted to make sure if I didnt need some extra oil

Old 07-09-2015, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't call it normal since I've never heard of it going up without adding oil, it's just my theory that it could be possible with the right oil level and alignment of the stars.

Sounds like you've got plenty of headroom so add 1/8-1/4 of a liter and see if that doesn't settle it down.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by gnat
I wouldn't call it normal since I've never heard of it going up without adding oil, it's just my theory that it could be possible with the right oil level and alignment of the stars. Sounds like you've got plenty of headroom so add 1/8-1/4 of a liter and see if that doesn't settle it down.

Sure I'll do that tomorrow, Thanks Dave

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Diesel Oil Consumption