Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

958 heated steering retrofit successful

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 06:04 PM
snp_cayenne is a jewel in the roughsnp_cayenne is a jewel in the roughsnp_cayenne is a jewel in the roughsnp_cayenne is a jewel in the rough
958 heated steering retrofit successful

After the GTS/Turbo DRL adaptor project, I started on a new one where I wanted to try to figure out how to retrofit heated steering into my Cayenne 958. There were some mixed results based on the posts, where some people were able to put in the clockspring from a heated steering module and have the dealer enter an enabling code. Others reported that the service techs weren't able to get the enabling codes from Porsche for VINs that didn't have it from factory. I ran into the same issue, which was we couldn't find the enabling code.

Anyway, I ultimately got it to work. I basically was able to find some steering modules/clock springs from Cayennes that had heated steering from the factory. These were from people that were swapping out their entire units for the sports wheel, so these were spares. It turns out the coding for heat is in the steering module/clock spring. I was able to just take a pre programmed unit and get it to work. The wiring from the fuse up to the connector on the steering module is the same for a heated and non-heated wheel. What's missing is the connector from the steering to the clock spring. I basically just got a heated wheel and replaced my non-heated wheel. The heated steering graphic and the button worked without any additional coding. It did throw some codes. In particular, you have to recalibrate the steering angle sensor, which is really easy to do with the PIWIS. After I did that, everything was fine. Just to be safe I wrote the calibration data that I had saved in PIWIS form the original steering module into the new one. The key was that heated steering was already enabled since the steering module came out of Cayenne that had it from factory. I couldn't get this to work with a brand new steering module with nothing coded into it.

I still have an extra pre programmed steering modules/clockspring that I've posted on the classifieds forum.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:38 AM
boxs1 is on a distinguished road
I am looking to Retrofit the Back of the car with 958.2 facelift ,

Hello Again
nice to hear from you
I have some new Project on my Cayenne 958 S
Do you have any Ideas about that convert
Thanks in advance
Dimi

Old 02-26-2017, 10:52 AM
snp_cayenne is a jewel in the roughsnp_cayenne is a jewel in the roughsnp_cayenne is a jewel in the roughsnp_cayenne is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by boxs1
Hello Again
nice to hear from you
I have some new Project on my Cayenne 958 S
Do you have any Ideas about that convert
Thanks in advance
Dimi
Hmm. I actually haven't looked into that yet.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:05 AM
G_A
G_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of light
It is easy to convert back of car to FL. Little wiring mods and cuts of hidden metal to fix bumper. Also new bracket for bottom fix piont of taillight needed.
just tail pipes - cut and weld.

Regarding heating - tss. Can show you where to find activation code for steering module. Not only heating, for all features like cruise, multifunction, etc

Last edited by G_A; 03-10-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by G_A
It is easy to convert back of car to FL. Little wiring mods and cuts of hidden metal to fix bumper. Also new bracket for bottom fix piont of taillight needed.

Regarding heating - tss. Can show you where to find activation code for steering module. Not only heating, for all features like cruise, multifunction, etc
Can you send me a PM on how you can find the activation code? I've only been able to do it with pre programmed modules.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:44 AM
RickDC is on a distinguished road
Now we just need a way of putting the 958.2 wheel on a 958.1 ;-)

Old 03-10-2017, 01:39 PM
G_A
G_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of lightG_A is a glorious beacon of light
No. as i told before, trouble in FL steering wheel replacement can not be solved remotely.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:40 PM
G_A
Originally Posted by snp_cayenne
Can you send me a PM on how you can find the activation code? I've only been able to do it with pre programmed modules.
PM sent

Old 03-15-2018, 09:02 AM
AlexCL is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi. I have a same thing with missing activation codes for steering wheel heating on 958/2, also official dealer doesn't have it. Maybe some one know how to generate it. Thanks

Old 03-15-2018, 03:39 PM
G_A
yes. it can be done. PM VIN to me

Old 02-06-2019, 07:23 AM
xbsa66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello,
I have a this problem too, installed the heated steering wheel and brand new clock spring, but dealer can not get enabling code from a Porsche because my 2016 Cayenne did not come with this option from a factory. if I understand correctly i can use a used clock spring and it will work? or I need to replace a that small module inside the steering wheel where the heater cable plugs in, reason I'm asking, I got a bare steering wheel and transferred all components and trim from my old one just purchased the heater switch from a dealer. So dealer cleared all codes for steering angle but they telling me that they can't get the code to enable heater option.
Thanks Sam

Old 02-06-2019, 07:28 AM
xbsa66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello,
I have a this problem too, installed the heated steering wheel and brand new clock spring, but dealer can not get enabling code from a Porsche because my 2016 Cayenne did not come with this option from a factory. if I understand correctly i can use a used clock spring and it will work? or I need to replace a that small module inside the steering wheel where the heater cable plugs in, reason I'm asking, I got a bare steering wheel and transferred all components and trim from my old one just purchased the heater switch from a dealer. So dealer cleared all codes for steering angle but they telling me that they can't get the code to enable heater option.
Thanks Sam

Old 02-06-2019, 10:15 AM
G_A
Hi.

I can give you code. PM for details.

You need complete heated steering wheel, with separate 2 pin connector for heating and sensor pluged.

Regards,
Alex.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by xbsa66
Hello,
Thanks Sam
That worked for my 2014 where I put in a used steering module that already had the heated wheel option coded into it. I couldn't get the unlock code from the dealer at the time either.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:26 AM
G_A
Originally Posted by snp_cayenne
That worked for my 2014 where I put in a used steering module that already had the heated wheel option coded into it.
It can be solution too. Or install new spring in another car with heating, make coding and enter enabling codes. Then reinstall original spring back, readapt steering angle sensor...

But in some cases, after coding or other piwis manipulation all features, like multifunction, cruise and heating can stop working and you will need reactivate them. With codes or with another car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 958 heated steering retrofit successful