Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Got my new 09 Cayenne with enhanced PCM3 !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 06:42 AM
Banned
NAV-TV is on a distinguished road
Got my new 09 Cayenne with enhanced PCM3 !

Well, I finally got myself a Porsche. After so many years working on Porsche vehicles, I figured I'll get my wife a Base model and get to be one of the first to play with the new PCM3.... Killing two birds in one shot.

I got the car over a month ago from Champion Motors in Pompano Beach, FL.

It was literally the first 09 on the lot, still wrapped in it's shipping plastics... I was surprised how well this car is protected during shipping compared to other vehicles I've seen.

I drove the car for 9 miles to our office and immediately pulled the PCM3 radio out. I inspected the radio and then reconnected the radio back and went straight for adding a backup camera. That was easy, 3 hours into the ownership and I had a fully working backup camera in my base model V6.

Next came the Bluetooth and iPod / USB / AUX retrofit. To make a long story short, this took 7 weeks of engineering. Last week I got everything completed (During all this time the car did not move) and this week I was finally able to deliver the car to my wife, who of course could not care less about the effort, she simply plugged in her iPod and drove away... oh well.

Attached Images   
Old 08-22-2008, 06:51 AM
kiko1 is on a distinguished road
nice! congrats bro, I've dealt with you guys in the past and you guys are great!

Old 08-23-2008, 12:45 AM
syosh will become famous soon enough
Since it took 7 wks to add-in, does that mean the new pcm is so drastically different that stuff made for pcm2 needs significant engineering changes to be compatible with pcm3? I'm eager to add-in aftermarket ipod support to my 09 too.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:09 AM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Finally porsche has some tech in their car, up to standards with everything else. Nice job..

Old 08-27-2008, 09:15 PM
snowdrifter is on a distinguished road
Hey NAV_TV,

Any chance you can post instructions on how to remove the audio head unit? I'm wanting to replace my CDR23 with the new CDR30 which I understand has an AUX-out for mp3 player.

Even better - would it be possible to upgrade to PCM 3?

Old 08-27-2008, 10:12 PM
Banned
Hi Snow,

Removing the radio is very easy in a Cayenne, see page 3 of the attached PDF.

However, in order to retrofit a PCM3 on a 2008 vehicle you would need a new BOSE amplifier and a new adapter wiring harness as the new PCM3 radio has incompatible plugs. Nevertheless, once instlled, everything else including steering controls, cluster display etc would work fine since the CAN system did NOT change in 2009 !

B/R,
Moni

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
PCM3BT_Release_V1_web.pdf (818.1 KB, 1092 views)
Old 08-28-2008, 04:59 AM
mlc.design is on a distinguished road
nice job and cool PCM 3

Old 08-28-2008, 04:10 PM
snowdrifter is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info on removing the Cayenne radio.

Re:PCM3 - if I do not currently have the Bose audio system do I still require a new amp?

RE: 'a new adapter harness' - is that the entire underdash harness or just a 'sub-harness'?

By the way, mine is a US spec'd vehicle.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Banned
In previous years, the PCM2 had 2 variants: with internal amplifier and without (the latter requires a BOSE Amp.)

My 2009 PCM3 does not have an internal amp and requires a DIFFERENT BOSE amplifier then in previous years.
I do not know yet if a non-bose 2009 vehicles has a PCM3 with a built-in amplifier, we'll have to wait and see (or hear from somebody on this forum).

If there will be a PCM3 version with an internal amplifier, your retrofit will be rather easy. I may even consider manufacturing such harnesses as all that's required is an adapter cable with the "old" DIN female plugs on one end and the new FAKRA male plugs on the other end.

it's a small harness that will be added to your existing harness, and the whole job should take 10 minutes or so, without of course running any GPS antenna cables or other accessories such as Bluetooth microphone, iPod / USB / AUX center console retrofit kit etc.

BR / Moni

Originally Posted by snowdrifter
Thanks for the info on removing the Cayenne radio.

Re:PCM3 - if I do not currently have the Bose audio system do I still require a new amp?

RE: 'a new adapter harness' - is that the entire underdash harness or just a 'sub-harness'?

By the way, mine is a US spec'd vehicle.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:57 PM
O!Richard is on a distinguished road
Question

Our 2009 already has the bluethooth factory installed and active. Is there an easy way to just add the camera?
Thank you
Richard

Old 08-30-2008, 05:00 PM
wfo900 is on a distinguished road
very nice-thanks for the pdf

Old 08-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Banned
Syosh,

your '09 would not need AFTERMARKET iPod support. is has FACTORY iPod support !

Originally Posted by syosh
Since it took 7 wks to add-in, does that mean the new pcm is so drastically different that stuff made for pcm2 needs significant engineering changes to be compatible with pcm3? I'm eager to add-in aftermarket ipod support to my 09 too.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Banned
Richard,

When I said easy I meant easy to engineer.
The actual installation of the camera is not extremely difficult, But I wouldn't call it EASY.
In the process, the radio must be removed, the rear hatch trim must be disassembled, and some wires must be ran from the radio to the camera.

The good news is that I have sourced an original backup camera that replaces the rear door handle (see photo). I have documented the entire install procedure and it should be published within the next few days.

BR / Moni

Originally Posted by O!Richard
Our 2009 already has the bluethooth factory installed and active. Is there an easy way to just add the camera?
Thank you
Richard

Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2008, 06:45 PM
O!Richard is on a distinguished road
Let me know when I can order
thank you
richard

Old 08-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Banned
Rich,

It's available now. I also have limited stock of iPod / USB / AUX kits available (factory option in the center console) in case yours did not come with one.

This may be worth a trip to Boca

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got my new 09 Cayenne with enhanced PCM3 !