Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Rock Chips: Fix before or after Polishing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:36 AM
JoeinLA is on a distinguished road
Rock Chips: Fix before or after Polishing?

It seems like the Flex very slightly pulls at the paint around rock chips; at least the pinhead sized ones on my Boxster.

So, should you fill these in before polishing (maybe after claying)? Or do you polish to clean them out, and then fill them in before your LSP?

Thanks again!

Old 11-03-2010, 12:12 PM
INSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to behold
Great question, Moe ?!?

Old 11-03-2010, 03:01 PM
JoeinLA is on a distinguished road
I'm going to guess it doesn't need to be so scientific. Here's a thread I found on another site; but this basically plugs the DR Colorchip product (which I just ordered).

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ip-repair.html

Old 11-03-2010, 10:44 PM
INSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to beholdINSman is a splendid one to behold
Moe, ever try Dr Colorchip ?

Old 11-04-2010, 07:20 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
You should fix the chips after the polishing. Make sure you clean the area very well with IP alcohol and pull out all the polish residue prior to applying the touch up paint. If the flex pulled some of the paint off the chips, then the chips weren't properly repaired. Dr. ColorChip is a good product. I've seen it first-hand and wasn't impressed, however, a board member recently put up a post, and I was impressed. A client is going to get some and we'll use it. I'll do a write up on it once we get his car next week.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:56 PM
RPGilberts87 is on a distinguished road
I've done paint chip repairs before, but in a different way and hadn't had any problems. Here's how I did it
1. Wash and clay the car
2. Take a small file and chip out around the paint chips to get the loose stuff that isn't bonded.
3. Wipe off with Isopropyl alcohol very well! (this is important
4. For extra measure use an air compressor to get the rock chip dry and clean
5. Apply a layer of touch up paint using touch up paint brushes and let dry(they're like a toothpick with a very small cotton swap on the end of it)
6. If you need to apply other layers of touch up paint, it doesn't have to be perfectly even with the other paint. (while your waiting for the paint to dry you can polish the other ends of your car
7. Once it's slightly "bubbled" over the other paint wet sanded the small area around it to even it out finish off with 3000 grit sand paper
8. Than polish to a clear and defect free finish!
My process might be long and may have some drawbacks of uneven clear coat, but it comes out to look flawless if done right.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Moe any update on this ??

Old 01-18-2011, 07:40 PM
SupraDOc is on a distinguished road
^ would also like an update. Looks so easy if it works well. I've tried this product in the past with pretty good success though:
http://www.langka.com/

Old 01-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by INSman
Moe any update on this ??
Haven't used Dr. ColorChip yet. Will order next week and try it out.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Haven't used Dr. ColorChip yet. Will order next week and try it out.
Once you have it "mastered", let me know...

Old 01-19-2011, 11:47 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
i didn't have good luck with dr color chip. i felt it was a gimmick. a touchup would yield same results.

everytime i apply the dr chip paint, and take the solvent to wipe it, it would either smudge or be wipe off completely.