Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

why is Porsche paint so soft?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 03:06 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
why is Porsche paint so soft?

Just polished my 15 Pana today after only 8K miles from last polishing(15K total). It s a dark blue , so I get the color choice but why is Porsche paint so easily marred? My other Porsche was white and a garage queen and still required Polishing. I have had lots of cars and my subi s never require polishing. Just a cleaner and wax. I ve had ones with 100K that were never polished/compounded and looked great, unlike my porsches after 6 months. I use a soft hair brush, blow dry the car and use micro drying towels so what s the issue??? BTW I use Walmart brush on Subi s and they don t mar at all?? Thanks.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:07 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
It's the dark blue that shows all nicks, scratches and defects. But yes, Porsche paint is generally soft, as is Subaru paints. You should try polishing GM and Mercedes ceramic clears, huge PITA

Old 03-09-2017, 08:44 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
All paint are now soft, it's not just Porsches. Car manufacturers used to use oil base paint and now they use water based paint which is a lot more eco friendly. The paint on my 1995 BMW M3, you needed a chisel and a hammer to dent it.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:42 PM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
Aside from the chips it's the clear coat that shows most of the damage. Would be nice if they significantly increased the thickness so more "corrections" could be done without fear of breaching the clear. I believe there is more to it than using water based paints. I have an older Volvo that has very few chips and it's 14 years old. They were using water based paints back then.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:43 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
"Hard and Soft Paints"

http://togwt1980.blogspot.co.uk/2015...orrection.html

Paint is a liquid, but as it dries it becomes a solid and a gas (the solvent) that evaporates, leaving behind the solid. The three primary type of ingredients found in all paints are (1) Binder (film former) (2) Vehicle (solvent) (3) Solutes (pigment). The binder is the film-forming component of paint, it imparts properties such as gloss, durability, flexibility, and toughness.

Many binders are too thick to be applied and must be thinned. The thinner is also called the carrier system or vehicle because it makes it possible to transfer the binder to the surface. The pigment provides the paint with colour. Some paints form by solvent evaporation only, but most rely on cross-linking processes

Old 10-09-2017, 12:53 PM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Cerbo,

Since you can polish, and its the hardest part of detailing, get yourself a good consumer coating and coat the car instead of waxing it. They are more mar resistant.

You are already blow drying the car. Next I suggest you ditch the brushes for paint, on dark paint I don't want to risk it. and if you must, get a boars hair brush and soak it in the soap for 1/2 hr before use. Us a car wash without wax if the car is coated, and use too much so it very slippery.

This was my Rx when I owned a black car once, and most likely never again. I'm too OCD.

Black is not a car color, its a part time JOB!

Good Luck!

Old 10-18-2017, 02:56 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Just did my WRX with tec580 ceramic coat... see how long it holds up.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	514529   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	514530  
Old 02-06-2018, 01:34 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche paints are not as soft as Jaguar paints FWIW...

Old 03-05-2018, 09:29 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
As the world move closer to more enviro-friendly solutions, there are slight drawbacks to this from our vantage point. Manufacturers such as Porsche, and almost all the rest, are moving more and more towards water-based formulas that contain less and less solvents.

One of the drawbacks as it relates to us that love caring for our cars, softer paint which marrs and scratches easier. Great solution is nano coatings that help tremendously in that department. Just make sure to use very soft mf towels and wash mitt and rinse very frequently and never double-dip in your wash bucket without rinsing your mitt.

Hope this helps

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.