GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Sequential Shifter

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:05 PM
speedyellow4 is on a distinguished road
Sequential Shifter

Can somebody give me a dummy's explanation of what a sequential shifter does and its value. I've got basic car knowledge but things go over my head quickly. Thanks!

Old 07-28-2009, 11:18 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
You can do no lift upshifting, as soon as your hand touches the shifter, the computer cuts the gas and you push forward and the car will shift to the next gear. You still need to use the clutch and heel toe for down shifting (by pulling back on the shifter).

GMG and FBL sells conversion kits.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:18 AM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Aw... so you still have to use the clutch, but inly for downshifting.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:21 PM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
You can do no lift upshifting.
Yes, that's a feature of a sequential gearbox but it isn't because of the sequential mechanism. H-pattern gearboxes (e.g. old MK9s that have been around forever) can no-lift shift. It is having dog rings that enables no-lift shift.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:22 PM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
Originally Posted by mobonic
nope. again, due to dog rings, you do not have to use the clutch period. nothing to do with the sequential mechanism.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by speedyellow4
Can somebody give me a dummy's explanation of what a sequential shifter does and its value. I've got basic car knowledge but things go over my head quickly. Thanks!
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/sequential-gearbox.htm (easily found by google) is a great description of a sequential gearbox and its benefits.

Note that the conversion kits mentioned here only replicate the shift action and do not provide most of the benefits of an actual sequential gearbox, and they actually complicate the shifter mechanism (some kits can be unreliable). IOW, rice.

Last edited by mousecatcher; 07-29-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
sounds like PDK is easier.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:14 PM
777vegasviper has a spectacular aura about777vegasviper has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mousecatcher
nope. again, due to dog rings, you do not have to use the clutch period. nothing to do with the sequential mechanism.

in a sequential gearbox you do need to use the clutch in engaging first gear and reverse.

Upshifts can then be clutchless, so can downshifts (requires a lot more skill than clutchless upshifting).

i have a holinger sequential in my viper, speaking from experience

Old 07-29-2009, 04:59 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 777vegasviper
i have a holinger sequential in my viper, speaking from experience
In other words... thread OWNAGE

(rep point for vegasviper)

Old 07-29-2009, 07:24 PM
in a sequential gearbox you do need to use the clutch in engaging first gear and reverse.
sure, when stopped and engaging any gear you need to use the clutch of course, and again this has nothing to do with the sequential mechanism.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Monaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond reputeMonaco has a reputation beyond repute
I don't see the point to those expensive gearboxes when manual gearboxes found in Porsche's and Vipers are already strong to begin with. If it's shift time you're after, learn to shift faster!

Old 07-30-2009, 09:11 AM
777vegasviper has a spectacular aura about777vegasviper has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mousecatcher
sure, when stopped and engaging any gear you need to use the clutch of course, and again this has nothing to do with the sequential mechanism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobonic

"nope. again, due to dog rings, you do not have to use the clutch period. nothing to do with the sequential mechanism."

both of the above are your quotes, which one is correct?

Last edited by 777vegasviper; 07-30-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:47 PM
both of the above are your quotes, which one is correct?
"you do not have to use the clutch period" is incorrect. When stopped, you have to use the clutch. I should have said that you do not have to use the clutch when downshifting either.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:55 PM
analogmike is a glorious beacon of lightanalogmike is a glorious beacon of lightanalogmike is a glorious beacon of lightanalogmike is a glorious beacon of lightanalogmike is a glorious beacon of lightanalogmike is a glorious beacon of light
I have the hollinger-sourced sequential as the stock tranny in my '08 GT3 cup. You should use the clutch when downshifting, and you need to accurately blip the throttle to match revs.

Upshifts ARE fast but not so easy, in the higher gears it's easy to crunch the box if you don't hit it just right. It's cost me about $1K per hour to service my gearbox this year . And that's not unusual.

Here's what is looks like from inside the car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j24yAwGrsRo

Old 08-01-2009, 02:26 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jpvarghese
I don't see the point to those expensive gearboxes when manual gearboxes found in Porsche's and Vipers are already strong to begin with. If it's shift time you're after, learn to shift faster!
it has nothing to do with the strength of the transmission, it has to do with the speed of the gear changes and more importantly preventing missed shifts. Also, no matter how fast someone shifts in a conventional transmission it's still no match for a sequential. Think differently...watch the video posted below by analogmike. Also, you don't have to worry about binding synchros and you're always staying at the right place in the powerband or on Turbo cars, staying on boost. None of that really matters for street use or even at the lower levels of racing, but in the world where fractions of a second per lap makes a difference over an entire race, it's HUGE. Imagine two cars, same driver, same cars, only difference is transmissions. For example let's say to shift a normal car takes 1/2 second to shift vs 1/4 second to shift with a sequential transmission. You're on a track that takes 60 shifts total (both up and down shifting) per lap. The sequential is going to save you 15 seconds in shifting alone, now multiply it by thirty laps for the entire race and the benefits become pretty obvious. That's assuming that the conventional transmissioned car had a perfect run and didn't miss any gears. I hope that explains the benefits a little better.

Originally Posted by analogmike
I have the hollinger-sourced sequential as the stock tranny in my '08 GT3 cup. You should use the clutch when downshifting, and you need to accurately blip the throttle to match revs.

Upshifts ARE fast but not so easy, in the higher gears it's easy to crunch the box if you don't hit it just right. It's cost me about $1K per hour to service my gearbox this year . And that's not unusual.

Here's what is looks like from inside the car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j24yAwGrsRo
Oh how I LOVE the sound of Straight-Cut gears!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Sequential Shifter