GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

My DIY rear linkage (picture heavy)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 11:35 AM
gotbhp? is a jewel in the roughgotbhp? is a jewel in the roughgotbhp? is a jewel in the rough
My DIY rear linkage (picture heavy)

Greetings everyone, just thought that I would share a little project that I just finished up. I picked up a 996 GT3 about a year ago, and I love everything about the car. I do track my cars quite a bit and through the feel of the rear end, the tire wear and the lack of alignment adjustment range, it is pretty obvious that changing out the rear 'dogbones' would be rather rewarding. I always kind of balked at the pricing of some of the kits out there considering how simple the parts actually are, so as a mechanical engineer with a little experience in motorsports, I decided to tackle this on my own as a hobby.

So I decided to design, prototype and test my own adjustable rear linkage for my GT3. My intention was not to copy what was already out there, but for such a simple part there are only so many ways to skin a cat.

This is all better shown using pictures, so here you go:

The first thing to do was to take some measurements and to decide which rod end would work best for this application. It gets pretty dirty under there, huh?

I decided to go with one of FK's higher end products, as they offer a very high performance rod end, were dimensionally easy to incorporate, were easy to purchase/replace if necessary, and are rated for an appropriate radial load. Once I had selected the rod ends, I could design the rest of the parts. Here is an assembly:

Next, some quick calculations and FEA to ensure that the linkages will not buckle or fail under use.

Time to program the lathe and mill and start making parts:

And here they are, unfinished:

For these I decided to polish the aluminum and then send them out for anodizing. In the future I may just leave them a machined finish or bead blast them. I went with a black anodizing (also clear on some parts), might try something different later. Finished parts, ready to install:

Time to put them on the car and test them out!

Well if you are still awake after all of that, here are my conclusions... The feel of the car is WAY better in my opinion. Losing those rubber bushings on the dogbones makes a big difference in how the rear end of the car reacts. Once it was all said and done, I probably didn't save very much money on these over some of the discounted kits out there (mainly due to my choice of rod ends), but I had fun.
Cheers -

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 09-13-2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: not as a registered user
Old 09-13-2011, 11:47 AM
jbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nice
Wow!!!!!!

Great write up!!!!!

Looks great and I bet it handles waaaaay better!!!!!

Thanx for sharing!!!!

Old 09-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Everybody's gotta have a hobby! Most of my hobbies don't involve engineering, design and custom machining / fabirication, however. Kudos to you for taking the initiative to DIY such critical components. Well done. I'll wager that you get at least a dozen PM's asking for a set.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:18 PM
gotbhp? is a jewel in the roughgotbhp? is a jewel in the roughgotbhp? is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jbigelow_1
Wow!!!!!!

Great write up!!!!!

Looks great and I bet it handles waaaaay better!!!!!

Thanx for sharing!!!!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Slik560
Everybody's gotta have a hobby! Most of my hobbies don't involve engineering, design and custom machining / fabirication, however. Kudos to you for taking the initiative to DIY such critical components. Well done. I'll wager that you get at least a dozen PM's asking for a set.
Thanks. Just got scolded offering these though

Old 09-13-2011, 11:37 PM
utahrock is on a distinguished road
Beautiful job! I've got SolidWorks, too, as well as machining and turning centers. I've been tempted to make all kinds of suspension and other parts for my 993 Turbo, if I only had the time. I'm curious - which alloy did you use?

Old 09-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by utahrock
Beautiful job! I've got SolidWorks, too, as well as machining and turning centers. I've been tempted to make all kinds of suspension and other parts for my 993 Turbo, if I only had the time. I'm curious - which alloy did you use?
I went with 6061 for these. I was debating whether a 7075 or a titanium alloy would be worth it, but 6061 is perfectly adequate.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:31 AM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
Wow. Rep for you on this. Thanks for sharing this.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:25 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
These forums never cease to amaze me....with some very smart people on here. You made your own suspension parts?!? Dang how cool is that?

Old 09-15-2011, 08:46 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
this is one of the coolest threads ive read. do you plan on doing other fabrications ?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
this is one of the coolest threads ive read. do you plan on doing other fabrications ?
In the near future I will probably be making some other suspension components (toe linkage, thrust arm bushings). I've had some thoughts about making a more simple shift **** assembly for more track oriented use.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Paseb is on a distinguished road
pretty cool, great job

i wouldnt mind to have a set to try the fitment on a c4s hehe

how much?

Old 09-18-2011, 08:01 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
That's pretty magnificent!!!!

Old 12-31-2011, 03:49 PM
Inverterman is on a distinguished road
"Thanks. Just got scolded offering these though [/quote]"

Nice stuff. You'll have to become a sponsoring Vendor to get the Mods off your tail. It is all about the $$$$

Last edited by Inverterman; 12-31-2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: typos
Old 12-31-2011, 04:21 PM
luiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud ofluiscarlos has much to be proud of
Super cool work ,now I have Champion links .The new RSR OEM style locking is very nice.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:14 AM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
great thread, very nice work. I admire your ambition to produce your own suspension pieces. Looks like a great idea for someone with metal fabrication skills such as yourself.

I would go into business if I was you. they look like top notch adjustable rear link and toe kit. I would go for an alighnment tho to get the best results. I think you should'nt stop at that, You could make them for others and finish the kit off with contol arms and other pieces. Mono ***** wouldnt be that hard for you. Great looking finish on them also. i used to know some metal fab freinds before i moved when I bought my first house. This just reminded me that I should try to look for them on facebook.

Honestly bud, Great job. +1. Credit is due.
go into business, ill be your first customer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My DIY rear linkage (picture heavy)