GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

c&d z06 test

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 09:27 PM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
c&d z06 test

Just read the review in new issue and z06 is one overwhelming machine. Best braking and cornering they ever tested. Obvious crazy power yet still feels light like regular c7. And it has a manual clutch! Would miss out on sound and 9k revs of gt3 but for $50k price difference, i dont know which way to go for next track toy. Or a used 458 for $50k more than gt3. need to try all 3 them out back to back at exotics racing in vegas if they ever have them

Last edited by fcar348; 12-03-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Definitely an amazing machine for the money!. I was surprised by some of the power numbers though. I thought with the power difference, it would smoke the GT 3 in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile. The trap speed in the 1/4 was only 1 mph faster than the GT3. That says a lot for the PDK/Motor combo, or Porsche really underrated the 475hp figure.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:38 PM
chiroporsche will become famous soon enough
Yeah. I'm surprised as well. I figured the difference would be larger. Are any track times released yet? I'm curious as to how the GT3 will hold up there.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:32 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
What's really odd is the C&D test for both cars 0-150: the GT3 was faster.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:05 PM
fcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant futurefcar348 has a brilliant future
Not that surprising. Porsche always hits above its weight. Gt3 just had same lap time as speciale in evo test. That makes no sense either.<br />
Big issue for me is z06 has stick shift

Old 12-04-2014, 11:26 PM
LSs1Power is on a distinguished road
Im in the same boat, im having a hard time choosing between the coming GT3 RS or the C7 Z06 with full down force kit.
C7 Z06 just dyno'd 585whp 617wtq which should equate to higher than 126mph trapspeed. It seems like the press cars either heat soaked or something else. C6ZR1 traps 129 or 130 mph with 540whp 520wtq and 180lbs less. I think we will see 130mph traps from stage 1 downforce cars soon.

Stage 3 downforce generates 500lbs which is why GT3 is faster up top. C7 Z06 ran 1:29 in Road Atlanta. Not sure how that compares to GT3.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:21 AM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Smile

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
Im in the same boat, im having a hard time choosing between the coming GT3 RS or the C7 Z06 with full down force kit.
C7 Z06 just dyno'd 585whp 617wtq which should equate to higher than 126mph trapspeed. It seems like the press cars either heat soaked or something else. C6ZR1 traps 129 or 130 mph with 540whp 520wtq and 180lbs less. I think we will see 130mph traps from stage 1 downforce cars soon.

Stage 3 downforce generates 500lbs which is why GT3 is faster up top. C7 Z06 ran 1:29 in Road Atlanta. Not sure how that compares to GT3.

Unless you have a GT3RS allocation locked up, there isn't much choosing for you to do. For that matter, dealers don't even know what their allocations will be. I see a C7 Z06 in your near future.. The C7 ZO6 is going to be one bad A$$ car..

Old 12-05-2014, 01:43 AM
LSs1Power is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
Unless you have a GT3RS allocation locked up, there isn't much choosing for you to do. For that matter, dealers don't even know what their allocations will be. I see a C7 Z06 in your near future.. The C7 ZO6 is going to be one bad A$$ car..
The allocation will not be a problem for me here

Old 12-05-2014, 09:27 AM
My biggest concern for the Z06 is heat soak. The FA aspect of this car was not a good one for track. It needs to be capable of completing more than 4 laps without dropping into limp mode.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:44 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
The part that blows me away is that the ZO6 handles that well on leaf springs?

Old 12-09-2014, 08:53 AM
jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !
Leaf springs actually have a lot of advantages.

Lower CG and lower unsprung weight. Not as good as torsion springs (a la Formula 1) but good.

The only real downside is the potential coupling of the left and right side of the car, and PITA factor of changing springs.

Not sure why you would think they are poor performers?

Old 12-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by jordonmusser
Leaf springs actually have a lot of advantages.

Lower CG and lower unsprung weight. Not as good as torsion springs (a la Formula 1) but good.

The only real downside is the potential coupling of the left and right side of the car, and PITA factor of changing springs.

Not sure why you would think they are poor performers?

Very unconventional for a modern day sports car. Don't you think? You would figure that a lot of other sports car manufacturers would be using them if the advantages were that good? Educate me if I am not fully informed, but leaf springs in a sports car seems like very old tech to me. Nonetheless, the ZO6 is a very well handling car.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:45 PM
jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !
Unconventional.. yes. There are some packaging challenges with a chunk of material running laterally across the car as well.

I would not design IN leaf springs, but it certainly is not something I would consider a handling detractor.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:19 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
The other big advantage is that a majority of the force is not directly transferred to the top of the shock tower, but routed to the center point of the car, hence less rotational flex on the car.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:42 PM
This is 100% true, which COULD require that the frame be beefier than other wise needed. But since the spring runs between the LCA pick up points, this section is generally very stiff.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: c&d z06 test