Other Japanese Supercars Toyota Supra, Honda NSX, Mazda RX-7 etc.

'97 Supra Turbo 6spd Limited Edition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 06:20 PM
Blazed has a spectacular aura aboutBlazed has a spectacular aura aboutBlazed has a spectacular aura about
'97 Supra Turbo 6spd Limited Edition

Ever since I sold my last Supra nearly five years ago, I knew I would need to find another one eventually, later on down the road. But the next time around, it would have to be a black or quicksilver '97 or '98 Turbo 6spd....my beloved and favorite car since '99.

I've driven many great cars over the years, and as enjoyable as they all were in their own way, the MKIV Supra has always been a personal favorite of mine. But after having two heavily modded examples in the past, I wanted the next one to be essentially stock aside from the basics (wheels/suspension/exhaust etc.) so I could just drive and enjoy it without dealing with the inherent pitfalls and compromises of any heavily modified, high horsepower car. Needless to say it hasn't been an easy hunt, but I'm very glad I remained patient for the right car to finally come along. I've been very close to pulling the trigger on a few nice examples over the years, but for one reason or another, they never worked out. Well maybe it was meant to be because that all changed a couple weeks ago when I finally found what I was looking for: an all original '97, black on black, twin turbo 6spd, with 32k miles. The 1997 model year was considered a limited edition since it's the 15th Anniversary of the Supra, a small bonus for a crazy Supra enthusiast like me. So in the end I guess it was all meant to be. I drove her home 500 miles and it was just as perfect as I remember...let the love affair begin all over again

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	433681  
Attached Images           

Last edited by Blazed; 11-25-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:40 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
I came from the Supra world myself and must say very clean machine!

What mods are currently done to it?

Old 11-27-2015, 08:29 AM
Blazed has a spectacular aura aboutBlazed has a spectacular aura aboutBlazed has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
I came from the Supra world myself and must say very clean machine!

What mods are currently done to it?

Just forged Kinesis wheels, coilovers, and a turboback exhaust

Old 11-27-2015, 09:44 AM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
That is almost too good to believe that more mods were not done. Again great find!

Even though so many years have last since this machine was one of try king of the streets, how does she compare now with the newer stuff.

I remember that this car held 70-0 braking record from 1993 to 2005 and the first car to break it was the CGT when it came out!!

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?196826-Supra-Dethroned...-after-12-years...#/forumsite/20626/topics/196826?page=1

Last edited by Bobbyfali; 11-27-2015 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 11-27-2015, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
That is almost too good to believe that more mods were not done. Again great find!

Even though so many years have last since this machine was one of try king of the streets, how does she compare now with the newer stuff.

I remember that this car held 70-0 braking record from 1993 to 2005 and the first car to break it was the CGT when it came out!!
Thanks again, it's definitely a 'unicorn'.

It's obviously not on par with the it's modern day successors (namely GT-R, 911 Turbo/GT3, Z06, and Viper) in terms of handling and performance, but there's something about its simplicity and analogue style that makes it just perfect to drive and enjoy, at least for me.

Last edited by Blazed; 11-27-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:56 AM
slowzzz is on a distinguished road
Wow, what a gorgeous example! I had a very similar experience with my 1994 RX-7. Having a nearly stock car with minimal mods ends up being a much more enjoyable experience than the headaches that come with big power. Enjoy!

Old 12-02-2015, 12:13 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
mkiv its a special experience.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:31 PM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
beautiful car man....may you enjoy it with all your heart's desire!

Old 12-03-2015, 12:33 PM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
quick question....which resources did you use to get the car? Beginning to think going to autotrader isn't going to cut it. Is there a sloancars type place for Supras?

Old 12-04-2015, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by turboslut
quick question....which resources did you use to get the car? Beginning to think going to autotrader isn't going to cut it. Is there a sloancars type place for Supras?
Honestly there aren't any useful resources besides supraforums but the vast majority of those cars are high mileage and heavily modified. It literally took me several years to find this car and it only happened because of friends in the community who helped me...this car wasn't even listed. To find an unmolested and low mileage 97 or 98 turbo 6spd is pretty much impossible unless you have solid personal connections in the Supra community. And even then it's far from a sure thing and will still take a lot of time and effort. The reality is there aren't many of these cars left...they were much lower production than the NSX, RX-7, and 300ZX, and even those cars are still very difficult to find (clean/stock/low mileage examples that is)

Last edited by Blazed; 12-04-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:45 PM
ecadwell is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Blazed
Honestly there aren't any useful resources besides supraforums but the vast majority of those cars are high mileage and heavily modified. It literally took me several years to find this car and it only happened because of friends in the community who helped me...this car wasn't even listed. To find an unmolested and low mileage 97 or 98 turbo 6spd is pretty much impossible unless you have solid personal connections in the Supra community. And even then it's far from a sure thing and will still take a lot of time and effort. The reality is there aren't many of these cars left...they were much lower production than the NSX, RX-7, and 300ZX, and even those cars are still very difficult to find (clean/stock/low mileage examples that is)
Nice find. Do you know what the production numbers were for MKIV Supra turbos? Just curious.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:26 PM
slowzzz is on a distinguished road
The FD RX-7's are kind of the same way, except they're much cheaper now so a lot of them are really ratty or wrecked. Tons of them need body work, interior work, are on their 2nd or 3rd rebuilt engine, etc. My '94 was a touring, chaste white, black interior, 5 speed manual with 34,000 miles. Paint was original, no body work, original engine, all stock, and so on. I really regret selling it because they're so rare in that condition.

There were a little under 14,000 RX-7's imported to the US. About 10k were 93MY, 3,400 94MY, 500 95MY.

Check this site out for an insight Supra production numbers: http://www.97supraturbo.com/

I've never seen an "official" or 100% verified count of all Supra's made, but this is about the best you can get. NOT MANY! is about the most truthful answer.

Last edited by slowzzz; 12-09-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:38 PM
ecadwell is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info. I have an unmolested 1991 NSX with 45k miles that I've owned for the past 13 years. They imported about 8000 or so to the US between 1991-2005. I was curious how similar the numbers were. I know that the NSXs are getting hard to find in that condition too.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:09 AM
97/98 Turbo 6spds are in the low hundreds.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:55 PM
Myclue is a jewel in the roughMyclue is a jewel in the roughMyclue is a jewel in the roughMyclue is a jewel in the rough
Dam thats a beauty...where did you find the car? What state?
I've been itching to get another supra as well, enjoy your new car!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '97 Supra Turbo 6spd Limited Edition