Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High pitch noise from the back in PTT in higher speeds

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:48 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
High pitch noise from the back in PTT in higher speeds

Has anyone experienced a variable high pitch whistleing noise from the rear in thei Panamera turbo? Originally I thought it was wind noise from the spoiler as it only starts about 120km/h, but then realised it is in conjunction with the throttle, and ends as I lift off throttle or go below 120. I have the sports exhaust.

Last edited by kip; 09-10-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:56 AM
miralid is on a distinguished road
Are you talking about the hissing of the turbos that is heard as you mash the gas pedal esp at higher speeds?

Old 09-10-2011, 01:46 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Sorry for being inaccurate. This is an on off sound, on when the throttle is pressed, off when its not. Nothing to do with the turbos. The best I can describe is like wind whistleing from the back wing. Its definately from the rear and the sports exhaust button doesnt make a difference. This is only at high speeds, so a annoying symptom an only audible because the car itself is so exremely quiet.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:39 PM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
I think it was the turbos - i was just racing some guy today and heard the turbos for the first time - sound just like what you describe

Old 09-10-2011, 11:01 PM
AndyLH335 has a spectacular aura aboutAndyLH335 has a spectacular aura about
Its turbo spooling. You can always change the exhaust system and the dp to make it sounds like heaven!

Old 09-11-2011, 01:37 AM
kip
Thanks for the input guys!

Sorry to still push this thread on, but I want to be sure that this is a normal sound, as it is quite irritating for the rear seat passanger.

Why is the turbo spooling sound coming from the back? I have had a lot of turbo cars, and you could hear the turbos from the front like a wooooosh sound (excluding the 997tt, where I understood why it came from the back, as the engine is there).

This sound is mainly heard by the rear seat passanger in the boot and could best be described as:viiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiuuuuuuuuuuuuuvi iiiuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiii...

Is this really the turbo sound????

It is a fact that at higher speeds 120km/h and a crusie control, the turbo is constantly at around 0.1 bar pressure, so it is true that they are constantly rotating. In my other cars, the turbo only engaged in uphill. Luckily the sound is mainly heared when the radio is off.

Last edited by kip; 09-11-2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:59 AM
kip
I tried to catch the whining noise with my Nokia in a small video. Behind the tire rumble you can here like a high pitch whistle. Does anyone else have this? Its not the turbo.

Last edited by kip; 11-02-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Sinan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kip
I tried to catch the whining noise with my Nokia in a small video. Behind the tire rumble you can here like a high pitch whistle. Does anyone else have this? Its not the turbo.

Def not the turbo spool. You better bring it to service. I have 2010 turbo and never heard this high pitch noise.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:19 PM
kip
Anyone else have an idea of what this might be?

Old 11-03-2011, 02:34 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Def not turbos, sounds electronic almost but it could also be resonance on a loose metalic part inside the cabin. Have someone ride in back and start pressing on panels.

Ive had my whole interior apart and found a couple loose bolts and a few metallic ball looking things - dont ask me what they are - rolling around in the back. Guess build quality is not what it used to be.

Interior noises are no joke, very tough to isolate but remember sometimes a bit of rattle is ok vs. a tech tearing apart your car. However this sound I would have checked out, it would drive me crazy.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:24 PM
MIA997TTBeast will become famous soon enoughMIA997TTBeast will become famous soon enough
Kip, those definitely are not the turbos. Sounds like a electrical humming. You might want to check with the dealer.

I wouldn't worry too much tho. Have you tried the sound system first? I bet you have...

Old 11-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Sinan is on a distinguished road
Actually, as the post above mentions it, there could be something wrong with the sound system. Maybe even if it's turned off it could still be giving this high pitch noise thru speakers due to a problem..

Old 11-04-2011, 12:42 AM
kip
Originally Posted by Sinan
Actually, as the post above mentions it, there could be something wrong with the sound system. Maybe even if it's turned off it could still be giving this high pitch noise thru speakers due to a problem..
Thanks guys, not the audio, when I listened to the sound audio was always off.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:23 PM
E63911K12 has a spectacular aura aboutE63911K12 has a spectacular aura about
I've never heard the whistling noise from the back, so I can't offer any ideas there. I also watched your second video (where you pushed on the passenger door panel). I have a similar noise that I couldn't pinpoint the source. It only begins to make noise at speeds above 90 kph. I'll try the same thing and see what happens. Did your dealer take care of that problem or will they need to take care of both?

Old 11-06-2011, 02:06 AM
kip
Originally Posted by E63911K12
I've never heard the whistling noise from the back, so I can't offer any ideas there. I also watched your second video (where you pushed on the passenger door panel). I have a similar noise that I couldn't pinpoint the source. It only begins to make noise at speeds above 90 kph. I'll try the same thing and see what happens. Did your dealer take care of that problem or will they need to take care of both?
The right side aluminum panel rattles when the asphalt is rough. It is audible at the end of the video when I bring the phone closer. Taking it to the dealer soon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: High pitch noise from the back in PTT in higher speeds