GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Alexpapas: CGT question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 07:48 AM
amirgt2 is on a distinguished road
Alexpapas: CGT question

Alex,

Now that you've had your CGT for a couple of weeks, would you be kind enough to give us your thoughts on the +/- of the car. Maybe even a little comparo with your F cars?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-04-2004, 01:46 PM
alexpapas is on a distinguished road
I've driven the CGT in daily driving (kids to school, to the store etc) and it has behaved very well. The clutch is a non-issue. Once you get used to how it releases it becomes completely normal, just like any other clutch in a car you drive often.
I've had it accelerating hard on freeway on-ramps and it is blindingly quick. It gets over 100mph long before the end of the ramp (up or downhill) and I have to brake real hard to merge with the freeway flow.
I took the roof off and I'm pretty sure it will never go back on again. The car just looks great topless and the structure of the cabin lets very little wind noise intrude.

The car has very direct steering and I have to be careful at speed when making sudden movements, such as pulling out to overtake. Too much steering input and the car gets off line real quick. It needs to driven with confidence at speed otherwise it will bite.
The cabin is just right. I don't know why no-one else makes one piece shell seats. It feels perfect and the gearshift is exactly in the right place, a couple of inches away from the steering wheel. I really believe it allows for more confident shifting knowing that my hand can be back on the wheel in a nanosecond after a shift.
I even tried the nav system and it's great - no map, but the directions and the location feature work very well. It blows me away that a supercar has airbags and nav. Quite unreal!

The obvious comparison in my stable is to the F40, which is simply raw, visceral and thrilling. In terms of pure sensation the F40 is unmatched, especially the kick in the pants you get when the turbo boost comes on at 3,500 rpm. It is also so spartan - no door handle, certainly no airbags or creature comforts. It also weighs about 600 lbs less than the CGT so it feels completely different. It's hard to drive in traffic and needs to be revved to feel the excitement.
My 575M is closer to the CGT in driving feel. Also normally aspirated with a very linear power curve and all the creature comforts, but it is a closed coupe and serves a very different purpose. Mine is dark blue and really doesn't draw too much attention. I use it as my daily car.

Old 10-04-2004, 07:06 PM
pierre is on a distinguished road
Talking

Originally posted by alexpapas
I've driven the CGT in daily driving (kids to school, to the store etc)
Wow! Do you have a 3 seats CGT?

Greetings and thanks for the report.
--Pierre

Old 10-04-2004, 10:11 PM
amirgt2 is on a distinguished road
Thank you.

Old 10-05-2004, 04:41 AM
nberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to behold
I've driven the CGT in daily driving (kids to school, to the store etc) and it has behaved very well. The clutch is a non-issue. Once you get used to how it releases it becomes completely normal, just like any other clutch in a car you drive often.
I've had it accelerating hard on freeway on-ramps and it is blindingly quick. It gets over 100mph long before the end of the ramp (up or downhill) and I have to brake real hard to merge with the freeway flow.
I took the roof off and I'm pretty sure it will never go back on again. The car just looks great topless and the structure of the cabin lets very little wind noise intrude.

The car has very direct steering and I have to be careful at speed when making sudden movements, such as pulling out to overtake. Too much steering input and the car gets off line real quick. It needs to driven with confidence at speed otherwise it will bite.

My 575M is closer to the CGT in driving feel. Also normally aspirated with a very linear power curve and all the creature comforts, but it is a closed coupe and serves a very different purpose. Mine is dark blue and really doesn't draw too much attention. I use it as my daily car.
My experience with the CGT steering was very similar. It is extremely responsive and one needs to be very aware at all times.

Regarding the clutch have you stalled the car and if so how often?

Old 10-05-2004, 10:15 AM
I stalled it once while backing out of my garage, when I thought I saw something move behind me and I braked real hard. Other than that I started out revving to about 3,000rpm when pulling away from a stop, but that soon came under control as I developed a feel for exactly when the clutch releases.
I really believe that the "stalling problem" as discussed on this and other forums is really due to the free revving nature of the throttle rather than to the clutch. Drivers new to the CGT will almost invariably way over-rev when starting to move and the surprise of the free revving nature of the car will cause an involuntary release of the gas pedal as you are releasing the clutch.
The clutch really has almost no travel between depressed and released but it is still tangible and I'm certain that anyone who drives the CGT on a regular basis will not stall the car in normal driving.

Old 10-05-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by pierre
Wow! Do you have a 3 seats CGT?

--Pierre
Wouldn't that be nice!
Re the kids: separate schools, different time schedules. The CGT nearly caused a riot at middle school drop-off.

Old 10-05-2004, 11:51 AM
Jack(LA) is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by nberry
Regarding the clutch have you stalled the car and if so how often?
Nick -- I was given the opportunity recently to drive the CGT, both on the street and at the track, and the clutch was no problem -- no stalling and it was very easy to launch the car. Handling was stellar -- very "360CSish"...

Old 10-06-2004, 04:00 AM
Honored Member

W8MM will become famous soon enough

I really believe that the "stalling problem" as discussed on this and other forums is really due to the free revving nature of the throttle rather than to the clutch. Drivers new to the CGT will almost invariably way over-rev when starting to move and the surprise of the free revving nature of the car will cause an involuntary release of the gas pedal as you are releasing the clutch.
Hi Alex.

Thanks so much for expanding on your previous statements. Your experience and observations just happen to match my expectations of the Carrera GT clutch/engine personality exactly. I have one on order for 1Q05 delivery, and am always interested in what early owners have to say. I always imagined the CGT would roughly behave like my former IROC 911/RS that had a sintered-puck clutch and a light flywheel.

There have been numerous conjectures based on far too few samples of real-owner experiences flying around the internet about launching the CGT from rest. Your first hand testimonial is much appreciated and a welcome breath of fresh air.

You have performed a great public service (as has Jack(LA)) by detailing what it takes to drive the car well. No amount of reporting of satisfied European owners on other boards seemed able to quell the never-ending disparagement of the CGT's driveablity.

Enjoy your magnificent purchase in good health!

Cheers,

Last edited by W8MM; 10-06-2004 at 04:03 AM.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:17 AM
aracerx is on a distinguished road
I look forward to driving the CGT in Europe, with Spa/Ring dates eagerly anticipated!
My oportunity in driving has been on the motorways of the UK and have also driven through London. It was easier to work the systems such as the clutch than launching a GT3 CUP car. I dare say that any experienced driver will have no issue repecvting the clutch action.
I'm intending to install 5 point harness's and there is quite a bit of ambiguity as to where they bolt up around the cockpit.-havefundrivecgttakechances-Mark

Old 10-06-2004, 06:18 AM
nberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by Jack(LA)
Nick -- I was given the opportunity recently to drive the CGT, both on the street and at the track, and the clutch was no problem -- no stalling and it was very easy to launch the car. Handling was stellar -- very "360CSish"...
Jack in my opinion the clutch requires constant attention because of it on/off nature. As Alex wrote "The clutch really has almost no travel between depressed and released". Not a particularly user friendly clutch in traffic.

I suppose with with time and practice it would be easier to use.

The car does handle wonderfully and on a track it will be a beast.

Mike you sound relieved. Not knowing you but based on your background and experience, I believe the CGT is the right car for you. I have no doubt you will enjoy it and it will give you everything you want.

Old 10-06-2004, 07:30 AM
Jack(LA) is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by nberry
Jack in my opinion the clutch requires constant attention because of it on/off nature. As Alex wrote "The clutch really has almost no travel between depressed and released". Not a particularly user friendly clutch in traffic.

I suppose with with time and practice it would be easier to use.

Probably so -- practice always makes perfect. All I can say is -- using the clutch on the CGT was as easy or difficult (depending upon your perspective) as driving my GT2 or GT3. I was able to launch the car from a standstill with ease -- I'm not one who likes to ride clutches, so I went very easy on the gas. For me, the clutch had a very natural feeling from the get go.

Old 10-06-2004, 08:17 AM
I need to add something here 'lest my comments are taken out of context. In describing the clutch as having almost no travel, the relevant word here is 'almost". There is some travel, sufficient for a regular driver of the car to develop enough feel for the point where the clutch releases. Certainly enough to allow "normal" city traffic driving - slow to stop, short movement forward and stop again - etc.
I honestly have no trouble in traffic, and the signalized intersections near my home are always choked up to where I know I will have to stop in traffic.

The car is really quite docile in traffic and the biggest issue is other drivers crowding me to get a better look. The clutch is not an issue at all, ever.
The car's outrageous look's, now there's an issue. I had a bunch of teenage kids literally hanging out of their car windows at 70MPH on a freeway whoopin' 'n hollerin' as they passed by.

Old 10-06-2004, 09:41 AM
Honored Member

W8MM will become famous soon enough
The clutch is not an issue at all, ever.
The car's outrageous look's, now there's an issue. I had a bunch of teenage kids literally hanging out of their car windows at 70MPH on a freeway whoopin' 'n hollerin' as they passed by.
Hey Nick! The Carrera GT is the car for you!

It sounds like it gets even more attention than you are used to in your F cars

Old 10-06-2004, 12:41 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally posted by W8MM
Hey Nick! The Carrera GT is the car for you!

It sounds like it gets even more attention than you are used to in your F cars
Nick wants more than that... He wants "exclusivity."

Besides... he already said he can't drive it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Alexpapas: CGT question