996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Filters on turbos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 04:05 PM
Kerma996 is on a distinguished road
Filters on turbos

At what point in the upgrade path from stock would you consider deleting the intake plumbing?

Does this require specific ECU tuning? MAF delete?

Old 02-24-2017, 04:10 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Depends on your goals and how far you are willing to do. You will need MAFless. Feel free to reach out and i can go over details to help you decide.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:50 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
I like the protomotive 3d printed fender intake setup. I run the Markski soft intake pipes for now.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:13 PM
Kerma996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SRM Engineering
MAFF delete yes.
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
You will need MAFless.
Ok bonus question can I pass emissions test with MAF delete?

Goal for mods = Power Efficiency. I have a TTS and my opinion is that it makes nice power in stock form. The physicist in me is more interested in eliminating inefficient designs made necessary by mass production and/or regulations e.g. intake/exhaust restrictions and ECU tuning.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:16 AM
magoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Kerma996
At what point in the upgrade path from stock would you consider deleting the intake plumbing?

Does this require specific ECU tuning? MAF delete?
Just my opinion and FYI. I tried this on my TT for a while. You should be aware that you will hear A LOT MORE turbo whine and air swooshing sounds with filters directly on the turbos.

It was cool for a couple of days and then it got old quickly. It made the car sound like a Japanese tuner car. I didn't feel any huge performance gains / differences either.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:43 AM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by magoochi
Just my opinion and FYI. I tried this on my TT for a while. You should be aware that you will hear A LOT MORE turbo whine and air swooshing sounds with filters directly on the turbos.

It was cool for a couple of days and then it got old quickly. It made the car sound like a Japanese tuner car. I didn't feel any huge performance gains / differences either.
what this on stock turbos? It makes a huge performance difference when upgrading turbos. Here is a pick of the stock tubing size vs a small k16 billet wheel. Tubing is much smaller than the wheel. This restriction makes turbos spool slower and make less peak hp.
also lot of guy like the turbo noise.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:25 AM
magoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by flewis763
what this on stock turbos? It makes a huge performance difference when upgrading turbos. Here is a pick of the stock tubing size vs a small k16 billet wheel. Tubing is much smaller than the wheel. This restriction makes turbos spool slower and make less peak hp.
also lot of guy like the turbo noise.
It was not on stock turbos. At the time It was on upgraded K16 billets & Kline HiFlow 3" X exhaust, COBB AP tune, all from Sam at "By Design" (Sam is great).

I have since added a bunch more mods since: Injectors, larger IPD plenum, larger TB, Intercoolers, larger flexible (Markski) intake hoses.

I might try the direct filters on the turbos again just for fun to see what it is like with all the mods I now have. Regardless, the change in intake sounds makes it not worth it to me regardless of the gains...It was that annoying to me. Again just my opinion. The good thing is that it is really easy to do especially if you already have Mafless and Markski's flex intake hoses. I simply bolted a K&N filter directly to each turbo and temporarily disconnected the Markski flex intake hoses.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:28 AM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by magoochi
It was not on stock turbos. At the time It was on upgraded K16 billets & Kline HiFlow 3" X exhaust, COBB AP tune, all from Sam at "By Design" (Sam is great).

I have since added a bunch more mods since: Injectors, larger IPD plenum, larger TB, Intercoolers, larger flexible (Markski) intake hoses.

I might try the direct filters on the turbos again just for fun to see what it is like with all the mods I now have. Regardless, the change in intake sounds makes it not worth it to me regardless of the gains...It was that annoying to me. Again just my opinion. The good thing is that it is really easy to do especially if you already have Mafless and Markski's flex intake hoses. I simply bolted a K&N filter directly to each turbo and temporarily disconnected the Markski flex intake hoses.
I if you had 2.5 inch tubingon there changing t9 filter on turbos would be minimal. Stock tubing it's a huge difference

Old 02-25-2017, 09:11 AM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
I felt a ridiculous power difference putting filters on turbos. Can't see how anyone wouldn't.
The stock intake piping is horribly restrictive.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by BauerR
I felt a ridiculous power difference putting filters on turbos. Can't see how anyone wouldn't.
The stock intake piping is horribly restrictive.
Agreed. I already had the 2.5" intake piping so the difference was negligible.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:17 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
This Proto setup is awesome.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
This Proto setup is awesome.

That looks like a great set-up. It keeps the filter up and out of the road grime. Is that a kit that Proto sells?

Old 02-25-2017, 09:53 AM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
The issue I have with that is losing the top duct! I think the ducting is important even if it's a draw through system. There's enough room to run pipes and keep the duct, I intend to seal my fenderwell with some neoprene where the tubing passes through to try and reduce grime kicked up as even up there dirt finds a way!

Old 02-25-2017, 09:54 AM
Yes.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:53 PM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
I don't drive my car enough to worry about grime. (Maybe 1500 a year)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.