Opticoat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 10:53 PM
porshanut is on a distinguished road
Opticoat

Anyone have experience with "Opticoat" paint protectant?

Old 02-27-2017, 08:38 AM
T.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of lightT.O. is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by porshanut
Yes, I have a 17 991.2 and had Opticoat Pro Plus put on my headlights all windows, my car has a glass roof so I had that coated as well as my wheels. The wheels are the high gloss blk Carrera s wheels. I also had the full front wrapped in expel ultimate. Hood, fenders, front bumper, mirrors, rockers, rear quarters and just behind the rear tires.
I'm super happy with it, you really can't even tell any of this stuff is on the car. They have come a long way in these protectant films and coatings.
If you own the car it is worth the money and piece of mind.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:53 AM
911BOY is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by porshanut
People that have used it think its great. Sounds like really expensive wax treatment to me. I gather it "bonds" to the surface but not sure how it protects any better than a good wax. I love the process of detailing and waxing so not for me. Same with wrapping. I cant get my head around waxing plastic. Might get bumper done.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:55 PM
P-car Fan is on a distinguished road
I have Gtechniq Crystal Serum on my whole exterior, and the finish is awesome. Plus, it lasts 7+ years so you really can't beat it!

Old 03-01-2017, 11:41 PM
Zmoney is on a distinguished road
I'm with P-Car Fan. Three months ago I had the Gtechniq Crystal Serum on my entire car, wheels, muffler tips and windows. Amazing. The rain beads up and disappears in minutes. I still had the entire front end Xpel'ed on top. It shines better than it did new from the factory. I posted pics on a different thread. It's incredible, and much much better than any wax treatment. The 7 year warranty covers anything (except stone chips of course) and the shine is amazing every time i wash it. It's nice peace of mind, that even when dirty for a few days you an wash it and it looks brand new again.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7745.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	520.9 KB
ID:	470936   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7746.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	505.5 KB
ID:	470937   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7747.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	475.9 KB
ID:	470938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7748.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	449.3 KB
ID:	470939  
Attached Images   
Old 03-02-2017, 07:21 AM
That looks really good. What does 7 year warranty cover? Water beading? I get that with regular waxing. I just don't really understand the advantage.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by 911BOY
That looks really good. What does 7 year warranty cover? Water beading? I get that with regular waxing. I just don't really understand the advantage.
The advantage is NEVER waxing/sealing again, plus the hydrophobic properties are much greater than wax, and cleaning the car is much easier as well; the surface in many instances is fully clean after power washing alone.
Wax/sealant is really not even comparable to a proper coating

Old 03-02-2017, 08:28 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
I had expel ultimate put on the front end and opticoat on the rest of my Aston Martin two years ago. Still looks fantastic. I do enjoy detailing my own cars so I miss the polishing and detailing that no longer needs done.[URL=http://s553.photobucket.com/user/kabbenefield/media/D8E_7248-Edit-Edit.jpg.html]Name:  D8E_7248-Edit-Edit.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  405.1 KB[/URLName:  D8E_7404-Edit%202.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  224.5 KB

Old 03-03-2017, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by P-car Fan
The advantage is NEVER waxing/sealing again, plus the hydrophobic properties are much greater than wax, and cleaning the car is much easier as well; the surface in many instances is fully clean after power washing alone.
Wax/sealant is really not even comparable to a proper coating
No chance I'm ever drying a car after just a power wash. Look at the corner of your windshield after no touch car wash....thats whats still on the car. Concours guys use wax don't they? I love washing and waxing (wash min 2 times per week in summer) so possible Expel on bumper for me. To each his own.

Last edited by 911BOY; 03-03-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by 911BOY
No chance I'm ever drying a car after just a power wash. Look at the corner of your windshield after no touch car wash....thats whats still on the car. Concours guys use wax don't they? I love washing and waxing (wash min 2 times per week in summer) so possible Expel on bumper for me. To each his own.
Concours guys also don't daily those cars, so totally different situations. 😉
And I would also NEVER touch a towel to the surface after just power washing, was just saying that the surface properties of a good coating makes it that much easier to clean, hence less chance of swirls since less surface agitation required to clean the car.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:15 PM
MrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud of
I had a detailer put a competitive product on my wife's black cayenne. I wouldn't do it again.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:27 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Originally Posted by MrPorsche
I had a detailer put a competitive product on my wife's black cayenne. I wouldn't do it again.
Can I ask why? I am considering this technology but am not yet convinced it's for me.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:01 PM
MrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud ofMrPorsche has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BradB
Can I ask why? I am considering this technology but am not yet convinced it's for me.
I suppose it's more about the guy putting it on. I am in the car paint business so the tech intrigued me. I went to the absolute best recommended company in the city I live in. My local Porsche and Range Rover said this detail company is the best.

I had some hairline scratches from my son in the hood and bumper, so this is a bit of a stretch for the average job. I was either going to repaint the damage, or I was going to detail it. I thought I'd try the detail route.

My first concern was swirling on a black car, and paint correction on a black car risks swirling (I don't care how good you think you are, swirls are a risk). My guy was so confident I'd never see a swirl because he was removing them. He wet sanded the clearcoat scratches and buffed away. It looked great. Any paint chip looked as though it had whiteout stuck inside, chips I hadn't seen before are now obvious. 2 months later swirls started to show and it looks like a hologram under bright sun. I could have thrown a fit, but it was much better than the scratches I went in with. My wife hated it so much she begged to trade it in. (She's a bit dramatic, it wasn't that bad).

There are two things that I really dislike about this system.
The guy was supposed to wax it before applying the coat. This is garbage because wax prevents adhesion.
Even on a brand new car they'd still insist on buffing it. This invites swirls.
I was promised 5 years, this still looks great aside from quick return swirls but it wasn't near 5 years.

The end result is it looks ok, I'm trading her practically new Cayenne S for a new Cayenne GTS. We're going to get a third shared 911 Cab.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:17 PM
SO, basically you aren't a fan of coatings for reasons that have nothing to do with coatings? That doesn't make a lot of sense
And black can absolutely be corrected with no swirling, you just need to find a better detailer. Search for First Impressions Premier Detail in Sarasota, FL. He did my car and his work is incredible, including many black exteriors

Old 03-07-2017, 08:08 PM
It covered swirls, then it showed them. It's expensive and temporary. It highlights microscopic chips. What's not to understand? Sure, application is also a big gripe. Your mileage will vary.
I'm not driving to Florida so some guy can swirl my car some more.
I swear I've heard over a hundred times that they can remove a swirl, and when I take them up on it I'm disappointed. I've been in the car paint business for over 15 years.
I'm actually in CO, but I'm sure I'd find swirls on all his work after a few months on a daily driver. It's all in how you perceive reflected light. I can also pick out defects in OEM paint of cars I've had over the years like dust that settled in the paint and they didn't sand it out. I can often pick out a car that has had some bodywork done.
I find swirls on nearly all Porsche factory cars on the showroom floor kept indoors just from them hand washing and drying.
Even if your detailer is as good as you say he is, more than likely OP will get disappointed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.