6speed Technical Information forum This area is intended for members to post their technical questions that will be answered by anonymous experts posting as 411. Members may provide knowledge but sponsors are asked to not post in this forum.

Odd DME logging Behavior & Over-revs Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 12:08 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
Petza914: I hope you will update more about this. I'm pretty sure your tune is responsible for most of this. I'm no "expert" but I am a long term GT2 owner and have experienced issues I am positive are related to the flash that came with the car. Not worth going into details here. I am wondering if you have contacted others using the Ruf Kompressor mod to see if any have had similar issues. Good luck all around.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:45 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
To my knowledge, there's only one other 997 R-Kompressor in the States and it's in the Atlanta, GA area, but haven't talked to him about the DME data issue. The black C4S based one sold out of Texas into Canada and then down to FL has been converted to a tuned Turbo car and I actually bought the complete R-Kompressor kit from this car to have a spare. The silver over Cocoa one that was sold in Miami a few years ago now lives in Chile.

I visited RUF in Germany a couple years ago for a full tour while I was in Munich on business and talked to them about this. What they told me is that in order to install the forced induction supercharger in a NA 997 (like my C2S), they have to use the DME from a Twin Turbo car in order to be able to map the fuel trims and other parameters related to boost. Because of this, my car has the DME from a TT in it and the data that was stored in that DME before they installed it in my car remains. That seemed like a plausible explanation for the excessive hours logged and for any overrevs that might have occurred while it was in it's original TT host so I didn't pursue it any further. These posts were about 3 years old and the car has been steller so I've stopped worrying about it since I have an explanation directly from RUF.

I have it insured with Hagerty for full value in case someone destroys it on the road, but don't have plans to ever part with it, so not too concerned about what someone else might think of my DME readout. As I mentioned, I even bought the complete R-Kompressor Kit out of the black car when the owner blew the supercharger and deinstalled it, deciding to replace it with a tuned Turbo setup. I sent the supercharger unit to Germany for a complete rebuild, so I now have a hot-spare for any of the special R-Kompressor kit parts that are in my car (since they're so rare) in the event a part fails, gets damaged, or I need to rebuild my supercharger at some point. I can swap in the rebuilt one and have virtually no downtime, when otherwise, it would require a few weeks to a few months to get one rebuilt including the shipping time. I even had them put an anti-tamper tag on it so the warranty on the rebuilt unit won't start until I install it when I video the removal of the anti-tamper tag.

Anyway, not sure if that's helpful with your GT2 question or not, but I think it explains what was going on with my particular car. Sometimes tuners use a piggy-back ECU so the car does it's normal thing and then the tuner's ECU modifies what's actually going to the DME. I've heard that this can inconsistencies of the data stored by the OEM ECU and also that sometimes events (like operating hours) can get double-logged as well.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:55 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for your update and so much information. I agree that it makes sense and glad that you are enjoying your beast!