6speed Technical Information forum This area is intended for members to post their technical questions that will be answered by anonymous experts posting as 411. Members may provide knowledge but sponsors are asked to not post in this forum.

Loosing servo steering fluid 2007 997 turbo MT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 03:43 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Loosing servo steering fluid 2007 997 turbo MT

Hi

Had clutch acumulator issues last 6months, if the car is not used for a few days the clutch is heavy. Once while driving the clutch didnt really work at all, it was weird, almost like it got stuck being pressed down. No resistance in the pedal and couldnt operate the clutch. This happened once some 6-7months ago.

I bought a new clutch acumulator but havent replaced it yet.

Now a few days ago the steering servo started making noises, so I checked the level and it was empty, filled it with almost a liter of fluid and noise went away.

No leaks under the car so where has the fluid gone???

Old 01-24-2016, 11:13 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
Hi

Had clutch acumulator issues last 6months, if the car is not used for a few days the clutch is heavy. Once while driving the clutch didnt really work at all, it was weird, almost like it got stuck being pressed down. No resistance in the pedal and couldnt operate the clutch. This happened once some 6-7months ago.

I bought a new clutch acumulator but havent replaced it yet.

Now a few days ago the steering servo started making noises, so I checked the level and it was empty, filled it with almost a liter of fluid and noise went away.

No leaks under the car so where has the fluid gone???
Not sure if the 997 Turbo is the same as the 996 Turbo in this regard but if the clutch slave cylinder goes bad fluid is routed to a small reservior under the panel under the front trunk just ahead of the driver's side windshield area.

This causes this reservior to become too full and excess fluid comes out the vent hole.

I have observed some fluid stain on top of this panel but that doesn't mean in all failures there would be fluid stain on top of the panel. So it might be worth the effort to remove the panel and check for fluid in this area.

Also, I have seen cars in with a leak in the power steering system from some place up front and while no fluid shows up on the ground the underbody panels show fluid stain. But again this is not guaranteed to be the case in all failures.

Again not sure if this is a problem the 997 Turbo can have but in some other models a power steering high pressure relief valve can fail and the result is the power steering rack gets overpressurized. This forces fluid out the rack seals. The fluid is caught by the dust boots and while there is no leak sign the power steering fluid level drops and the power steering pump gets noisy. The fluid level is topped up but a cursory check finds no fluid leak. It can all be in the dust boots.

I watched a tech remove a fluid filled dust boot from a power steering rack on the bench and he covered the dust boot with shop rags and when he removed the boot there was a pop and fluid gushed out.

You need to get the car in the air and inspect the power steering and clutch hydraulic systems for any leak sign. Pentosin is not a heavy fluid so when it leaks out it runs down and away from the leak source and doesn't leave behind much residue.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:06 PM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Macster
Not sure if the 997 Turbo is the same as the 996 Turbo in this regard but if the clutch slave cylinder goes bad fluid is routed to a small reservior under the panel under the front trunk just ahead of the driver's side windshield area.

This causes this reservior to become too full and excess fluid comes out the vent hole.

I have observed some fluid stain on top of this panel but that doesn't mean in all failures there would be fluid stain on top of the panel. So it might be worth the effort to remove the panel and check for fluid in this area.

Also, I have seen cars in with a leak in the power steering system from some place up front and while no fluid shows up on the ground the underbody panels show fluid stain. But again this is not guaranteed to be the case in all failures.

Again not sure if this is a problem the 997 Turbo can have but in some other models a power steering high pressure relief valve can fail and the result is the power steering rack gets overpressurized. This forces fluid out the rack seals. The fluid is caught by the dust boots and while there is no leak sign the power steering fluid level drops and the power steering pump gets noisy. The fluid level is topped up but a cursory check finds no fluid leak. It can all be in the dust boots.

I watched a tech remove a fluid filled dust boot from a power steering rack on the bench and he covered the dust boot with shop rags and when he removed the boot there was a pop and fluid gushed out.

You need to get the car in the air and inspect the power steering and clutch hydraulic systems for any leak sign. Pentosin is not a heavy fluid so when it leaks out it runs down and away from the leak source and doesn't leave behind much residue.
Removed front cover in the frunk and the clutch pentosin resovoir was over full. It sure seemed like it has been leaking for a while so I guess this mystery is solved.

Thanks!

Old 01-27-2016, 10:08 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
You're welcome!