Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Issue with "LED" License Plate Bulbs.......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 05:21 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Issue with "LED" License Plate Bulbs.......

I got these "OEM" LED license plate bulbs for my '12 CTT from Suncoast and they look off centered. I know why it's because the LED bulb is like twice the length of the standard bulb and the LED is basically the tip on the new bulb. So as you can see, the lights are off centered. Suncoast is telling me these are OEM and nothing they can really do bc that is what's given to them but again, how could this be the case from Porsche? Bulbs that would make such an off center? And I tried flipping the housing the bulb goes in to 180 degrees but the right one can't bc the wiring for the backup camera is on that other side, and I can't flip the left one BC the lenses are angled and it wouldn't fit right. Anyone else ever experience this? Am I missing something? Thanks in advance!

Old 12-07-2015, 06:29 PM
howardhaoxie will become famous soon enough
OEM led bulbs are pretty dim and have poor spread. In addition to the asymmetrical housing, you get uneven lighting. You were better off buying brighter led's from eBay.
That's the route I took and the bulbs seem to hold up for more than a year. At about less than 70 cents per bulb and very easy installation, they're worth it. I can PM you the seller I use if you'd like.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:29 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Thx Howard! Yes please send me their info for ebay.

Originally Posted by howardhaoxie
OEM led bulbs are pretty dim and have poor spread. In addition to the asymmetrical housing, you get uneven lighting. You were better off buying brighter led's from eBay.
That's the route I took and the bulbs seem to hold up for more than a year. At about less than 70 cents per bulb and very easy installation, they're worth it. I can PM you the seller I use if you'd like.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:19 PM
kechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to behold
my oem retrofit was slightly off but not even noticeable like yours, strange.. can you post the link from suncoast?

Old 12-12-2015, 01:54 PM
furryjet will become famous soon enough
I did the OEM retrofit as well, but output and angle is better than yours.

Before going the OEM way I used LED bulbs bought online, however they burn out quickly and when I took them out, they were actually "burnt".

Just be aware where you buy the LEDs from, I'm sure the last thing you want is to have electrical problems due to bad quality LEDs.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:54 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kechang
my oem retrofit was slightly off but not even noticeable like yours, strange.. can you post the link from suncoast?
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK958PLATE.html

Old 12-14-2015, 04:19 PM
kechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to behold
Suncoast is VERY misleading on that page, OEM units consist of the whole housing with 2 integrated LED, not just the "bulbs", I'm sure those are not OEM

OEM looks like this

or like this

Old 12-14-2015, 04:24 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Not misleading at all - I ordered these and received these "factory LED units" which is what you are showing and they arrived in a Porsche labeled box.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:38 PM
then the photos are misleading, those are the photos they used when suncoast developed their own LED bulbs (which they later removed because they burn out too easily) for the license plate since the OEM units were not plug and play