6speed Technical Information forum This area is intended for members to post their technical questions that will be answered by anonymous experts posting as 411. Members may provide knowledge but sponsors are asked to not post in this forum.

Proper Trans fluid for 2009TT 997.1 Tippy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 07:58 PM
Black Betty is on a distinguished road
Proper Trans fluid for 2009TT 997.1 Tippy

Thank you for this resource, I'm not having much luck getting confirmation on the correct fluid to buy for a trans service I want to do on my 997.1TT w Tiptronic. Not sure if it's because 2009 was a tweener year for the PDK in non turbo or what... I would really appreciate it if someone (411) would confirm the proper fluid to buy for my transmission.

Sorry to bug w such trivial stuff, it's not even in my owners manual !

Old 01-11-2017, 12:27 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Thank you for this resource, I'm not having much luck getting confirmation on the correct fluid to buy for a trans service I want to do on my 997.1TT w Tiptronic. Not sure if it's because 2009 was a tweener year for the PDK in non turbo or what... I would really appreciate it if someone (411) would confirm the proper fluid to buy for my transmission.

Sorry to bug w such trivial stuff, it's not even in my owners manual !
My advice is to visit your local Porsche dealer and ask. The parts department will need the car's VIN and will look up the fluid to use.

While some owners offer up alternatives, I have no desire to use either of my Porsches (Boxster or 996 Turbo) as a test bed to confirm other fluids work just as good as the Porsche fluids.

And the Porsche fluids are pretty good I think. My Boxster 5-speed manual has over 307K miles on it and still works just fine while my Turbo 6-speed has around 120K miles (due to a leaking seal the original 6-speed was replaced under warranty at 30K miles) and the Turbo transmission still works fine.

BTW, I have no info on the 2009 Tip fluid service but for the 996 Turbo Tips the process is a bit involved. You do have the proper steps and equipment to do this right? A Tip is a very expensive piece of kit to attempt a fluid change without knowing exactly how to do it.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:30 PM
Well, not really Macster... tranny filter and fluid change takes no special skills or tools. The procedure is about as basic as it comes, if you are a mechanic.

Any of the 411 group care to chime in on fluid spec ?

Guess I will give Pelican a call, maybe their site just omitted the 09 because its a crossover year.

I'll let you all know what they say.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:01 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Here's the info for a 996 Turbo Tip fluid change and the checking/topping up which has some more info about what's involved. I assume (...) the procedure is similar for the 997 Tip.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
996 Turbo Tip fluid change.pdf (337.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 01-19-2017, 10:04 AM
Thanks Macster, I did see that in my searches and have it in my files !

I did find out that 2009TT does use the same fluid as the 2005 - 2008TT w Tip, they also confirmed my theory of being a switch over year with the PDK in non turbo cars.

I'll let you know if I run into anything out of the ordinary after I get a chance to service her.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:05 PM
cdk4219 is a name known to allcdk4219 is a name known to allcdk4219 is a name known to allcdk4219 is a name known to allcdk4219 is a name known to allcdk4219 is a name known to all
If it's the 722.6 trans found in the 996 turbo and 2003 up 996 (which from pictures it looks like) it is a Mercedes transmission. Any NAG 1 trans fluid will do, even valvoline Maxlife ATF is specified for this. Maxlife is what I use in all my 722.6 transmissions. Now you should also consider replacing the diff fluid as well. In the 996 the fluid is warmed up and it spills out of the stand tube in the trans pan. Not sure if the 997.1 is the same.
I change my trans fluid every oil change, as you only get about 4qts out per time, and replace the same amount that comes out.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:00 PM
Thanks CDK.... That is exactly what I plan on doing with every oil change. I do want to take a look in the pan this time to see what we have in there and I already have the filter and gasket. Appreciate it !

Old 01-25-2017, 07:01 PM
Thanks CDK.... That is exactly what I plan on doing with every oil change. I do want to take a look in the pan this time to see what we have in there and I already have the filter and gasket. Appreciate it !
If you go with a different fluid I would think to be safe you should drain the transmission and converter and replace the filter. My concern is miscibility of the factory fluid in the transmission/converter and the new/different fluid.

If you stay with the factory fluid, assuming of course that's what is in the transmission now, you could do the partial drain and refill as often as you want.

However, if you track the car -- or even if the car sees nothing but street usage -- at some point you probably want to replace the filter. Traditional automatics tend to shed fine stuff over time. The valve body and its population of valves is very sensitive to solid particles even fine ones as the clearances between the valves and valve bores in the valve body are very very close, a precision sliding fit. This is so leakage is minimal as the valves rely on the close fit with the bore to effect a seal.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:25 PM
parkpaul67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks Macster, I did see that in my searches and have it in my files !

I did find out that 2009TT does use the same fluid as the 2005 - 2008TT w Tip, they also confirmed my theory of being a switch over year with the PDK in non turbo cars.

I'll let you know if I run into anything out of the ordinary after I get a chance to service her.
Hello Black Betty Did you had a chance to service tiptronic ? I was following forum but cant find the forums describes how to fill the fluid . as you can see on the file Macster provide it takes special Hose 9507/1 to fill the Trans. Cant find the tools .. . I was planning on fill the fluid through control screw . let me know where did you fill the fluid Thanks

Old 03-04-2019, 07:41 PM
Trans service..

Well, I took my car to my Indy shop to help with a computer issue so I could take it to smog.

​​​​​​They were able to easily reset it and didn't charge me, are you kidding?, Seriously.... So I figured I should letl them do the trans service since they were so nice to me. Sorry, I can't help you out.

I'm pretty sure I found some good pics here or on RL. I'm going to find them and get back to you.

Todd

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.