6speed Technical Information forum This area is intended for members to post their technical questions that will be answered by anonymous experts posting as 411. Members may provide knowledge but sponsors are asked to not post in this forum.

Major service $2100??!! Is this really needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 09:23 PM
HpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond repute
Major service $2100??!! Is this really needed

I have a low mileage 2010 997.2 Turbo (less than 10k miles) that is a garage queen that lives on a trickle charger and has never seen rain or a track. I just don't have time to get it out much so it sits a lot.
I have habitually changed the oil a couple times a year as well as a brake flush every 18 months or so. I have also routinely done all other fluid changes and flushes on a regular basis -- all of this at the dealer. I was at the dealer this week for something else and decided to schedule an oil change. The service lead told me it was time for me to do a "major service" that was going to be $2100. He told me it involved plugs, which explains the cost as it sounds like that is mostly going to their inflated labor rates.

IS THIS REALLY NECESSARY? The car runs perfectly (as it should for such low mileage and limited use) and I just don't want to be throwing money away. What else is done at such a service? I have asked him to email me a list of things but have yet to get it. Thanks

Old 07-23-2017, 12:58 AM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
Short answer no. Without an aftermarket tune the plugs last a good while. $2100 is reasonable for a major service as the checklist of things to check is rather comprehensive and takes time.

They do however (dealerships) tend to make a habit of not securing boost hoses back properly, and since they wont push the car on the test drive you will be the one finding about it .

I reccomend an indy or even better a diy job when the plugs do burn out, but still take it to the dealer for a run through thePorsche checklists.

Cheers

Old 07-26-2017, 10:29 AM
jdavis is on a distinguished road
Major maintenance

Fyi.

Attached Files
Old 10-30-2017, 03:43 PM
cyclrder is an unknown quantity at this point
they have to drop the engine to get access to the plugs. I have the same car with 15K..
the reason for the plug change every 4 years or 30K is because of the two types of metal between the plug and block apparently will cause seizing of the plugs.... maybe if the car lives outside all the time... but my car stays in a heated garage.. I'll pass this year. Have had more fun with my new DSC module for my $$$s

the oil change requires the car sitting on the lift for an hour... and I bet you get charged for that hour!

the service on the Carfax looks nice though...

Old 10-30-2017, 06:31 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cyclrder
they have to drop the engine to get access to the plugs. I have the same car with 15K..
the reason for the plug change every 4 years or 30K is because of the two types of metal between the plug and block apparently will cause seizing of the plugs.... maybe if the car lives outside all the time... but my car stays in a heated garage.. I'll pass this year. Have had more fun with my new DSC module for my $$$s

the oil change requires the car sitting on the lift for an hour... and I bet you get charged for that hour!

the service on the Carfax looks nice though...
The problem with plugs is not if the car sits outside.

The problem with plugs is the combustion gases get forced in between the plug and head threads. One can clearly see this by looking at an old plug. The thread discoloration starts at the combustion end and works its way up to the other end.

Combustion gases carry corrosive compounds which attach the ferrous metal of the plug threads and exacerbate some kind of corrosion between the ferrous plug threads and the aluminum head threads.

The plugs are supposed to be replaced every so many miles or after so many years to reduce the chance corrosion coupled with damage to the plug threads can damage the threads in the head.

In the spark plug/head thread combination the sacrificial item is the plug. This is why plugs are changed on time.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:02 AM
HpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond repute
time for plugs

Ok, since I want my 10k mile 8 year old turbo to outlast me, I better suck it up and get the plugs swapped out. Thanks to this forum for talking sense into me once again!

Old 05-29-2018, 09:51 AM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
HpizKing: Would you mind sharing how this worked out? I agree that even with your low miles- considering how LONG the plugs had been in there- it is a very good idea of swap them [or if someone is an experienced DIY guy to at least break them loose and retorque them- the issue isn't wear, it's the possibility of them seizing in the bore $$$.

BTW, if you have a good indy mechanic you are likely to get superior service to a dealership. There is nothing like being able to discuss your car with the mx who is going to do the work. Last, a lot of that extensive list can easily be DIY if anyone is so inclinced.. and results in a better understanding of your car. Don't think for a minute that the dealership mx's aren't under the gun to get your car in-out quickly to "beat the clock". suu bbe

Old 08-18-2018, 10:34 PM
I ended up at the dealer and they found that plugs had been done 4 yrs earlier when CPO’d at the Houston dealer where I bought it so my plug change was actually the second one and right on time. I went with a cooler plug this time around as I have a BBi exhaust and a Cobb AP tune. I spent fifteen minutes talking to the tech going over everything in the service afterward while the car was still up on lift so left satisfied—car is running perfect as always.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:03 AM
HarmonyJim is on a distinguished road
HpizKing, I was unaware that plug heat ranges are still being played with nowadays. Was your mechanic worried about pre-ignition or detonation occurring because of the exhaust and tune? I imagine you cranked the boost up? Is the exhaust a full system including headers? This is the first I am reading about anyone requiring a change of heat range, but then again, I am a GT3RS owner, and am uninformed regarding Turbo tuning.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:47 AM
Joey88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ask for a discount, I've been given 20% discount before, 10% minimum should be no problem for them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.