6speed Technical Information forum This area is intended for members to post their technical questions that will be answered by anonymous experts posting as 411. Members may provide knowledge but sponsors are asked to not post in this forum.

Need help diagnosing sound from tranny

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 09:55 AM
HottNikkels is an unknown quantity at this point
Need help diagnosing sound from tranny

I have been noticing a sound in first and second gear, it happens when I am starting to disengage the clutch and start pressing the gas. The sound is a winding sound very similar to what some manual cars sound like when you put it in reverse. It also seems to be more noticeable when I'm shifting into first or second while turning and sounds louder at lower speeds/rpm. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this sound? Would low or old tranny fluid cause this? Or could this be related to the clutch as I just had it changed out?

Old 09-25-2018, 01:23 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HottNikkels
I have been noticing a sound in first and second gear, it happens when I am starting to disengage the clutch and start pressing the gas. The sound is a winding sound very similar to what some manual cars sound like when you put it in reverse. It also seems to be more noticeable when I'm shifting into first or second while turning and sounds louder at lower speeds/rpm. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this sound? Would low or old tranny fluid cause this? Or could this be related to the clutch as I just had it changed out?
My advice is to take the car back to where you had the clutch work done and have the noise investigated. The noise could be just your over active imagination.

But it could be a problem with the release bearing even if it is new. A new bearing can fail at any time. If the transmission fluid was drained/changed during the clutch job the fluid could be low.

The clutch job could have been botched.

If you want to get a 2nd opinion *before* you take the car back have the car checked out, the noise listened to, by another qualified/experienced Porsche tech. Avoid mentioning that you may suspect a shop might have messed up a clutch job. You just want an honest opinion regarding the noise. Is it "normal"? If so then there you go.

But if not -- and I hope I'm wrong -- if it is not normal then at least you know.

Old 11-04-2020, 01:55 PM
mikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Macster
My advice is to take the car back to where you had the clutch work done and have the noise investigated. The noise could be just your over active imagination.

But it could be a problem with the release bearing even if it is new. A new bearing can fail at any time. If the transmission fluid was drained/changed during the clutch job the fluid could be low.

The clutch job could have been botched.

If you want to get a 2nd opinion *before* you take the car back have the car checked out, the noise listened to, by another qualified/experienced Porsche tech. Avoid mentioning that you may suspect a shop might have messed up a clutch job. You just want an honest opinion regarding the noise. Is it "normal"? If so then there you go.

But if not -- and I hope I'm wrong -- if it is not normal then at least you know.

+1 It is very easy to take off your front drive shaft and see if the sound is still present. Sometimes only under load is when the front diff does some odd things. Worth a shot! Also you might like the RWD setup!