6speed Technical Information forum This area is intended for members to post their technical questions that will be answered by anonymous experts posting as 411. Members may provide knowledge but sponsors are asked to not post in this forum.

Cayenne wont start! HELP!

Old 01-17-2017, 04:22 AM
GLENNPOWER is an unknown quantity at this point
Cayenne wont start! HELP!

I have a 2008 cayenne s with 70000 on the clock. the steering column lock was replaced after the ignition not working and engine not starting or even cranking.

everything was great for a week after that but now the same thing happens. nothing from the electrics at all apart from the ambient light for the cluster coming on.

if i disconnect the battery (at the ground point under the small trim in front of the driver's seat) for 30 seconds and then reconnect everything is fine for a few starts but then it will happen again.(i had been doing this previously until i could afford the repair) Scanner shows "steering column lock" as the fault (no other faults detected anywhere) just as it did before when it was subsequently changed.

do i have a problem with the ignition or immobiliser or has anyone experienced this before?

thanks in advance.............

Last edited by GLENNPOWER; 01-17-2017 at 04:24 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:55 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
By "steering column lock" are you perhaps referring to the ignition switch? This can go bad and cause the behavior (and other behavior) you describe.

Porsche no longer offers the electrical portion separate from the mechanical portion but now just sells the whole thing.

For the sports cars some owners have found Audi offers an electrical portion that appears to be a suitable substitute for the Porsche electrical portion. I do not know if this interchangability exists with the Cayenne.

Be aware that there is an RF antenna that "surrounds" the ignition key slot, in fact the antenna is supposed to be behind the ignition key surround.

If one is not careful when replacing the ignition switch, and this might include replacing the steering wheel lock, and damages this RF antenna then while turning on the key while the dash lights up normally when one turns the key to start because the RF antenna is damaged no RF transmission is sent from the antenna to the key and its RFID module in its head. This RFID module -- an tiny capsule sized glass, well, capsule -- receives the RF transmission which in turn energizes the RFID pill's RF circuitry to respond with an RF transmission containing its RFID. Upon successfully receiving this RF transmission and decoding the RFID in it and confirming the RFID is in the list of IDs that can start the engine only then does the security system/DME allow the starter to be engaged.

That the steering column lock fault is present suggests to me that the steering column lock repair didn't go well.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:00 AM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
I had this same issue. Replace the locking mechanism and electronic ignition switch with the updated version and it worked. Sounds like the exact symptoms.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:22 AM
Banned
ZandraWhite is an unknown quantity at this point
Spammer banned.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 07-25-2021 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:34 AM
DavidEdwin is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think a locksmith can replace the steering lock, and if yes how please let me know?

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 07-25-2021 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Remove spam link
Old 12-20-2019, 01:54 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DavidEdwin
I don't think a locksmith can replace the steering lock, and if yes how please let me know?
Not sure a locksmith would care to tackle this job. Not sure I'd care to have one tackle this.

Replacing the steering lock mechanism is probably best left to a Porsche tech though an experienced DIYer could probably do this. I'm a bit familiar with the replacement process with Porsche sports cars and the job is not hard -- although one tech described the job as "fiddly" (because of having to deal with screws/fasteners in a cramped space) -- but it does require one work in an awkward position. The techs do this often enough they have the technique down. Raising the vehicle on a lift helps. Because one is working in the dash area which is crammed with critical wiring there is a risk if one is not careful he could damage a wiring harness connector, or the RF antenna that is used to communicate with the RFID pill in the key module.

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 07-25-2021 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Remove spammer link
Old 02-26-2021, 08:27 AM
Tom Thompson is an unknown quantity at this point
Spammer

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 07-25-2021 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:41 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
The 2 main screws that are holding the ignition from the back side are definitely a pain to get to, but not impossible. I'm 6'2" and have big hands, but was able to get them out and back in. It's frustrating trying to get those screws out, but you can do it. The steering lock mechanism was pretty easy to replace. It's those 2 screws that are a pain.

Last edited by BOOSTTT; 02-27-2021 at 01:43 PM. Reason: addition