911 1964- to current Porsche 911, from the air-cooled days to the current 997

1982 911SC Coupe w/ 39k original miles, worth $19.5K?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 04:02 PM
TMH
TMH is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 1982 911SC Coupe w/ 39k original miles, worth $19.5K?

I am scheduled to drive and inspect an '82 911SC Sunroof Coupe finished in Guards Red tomorrow morning, with 39,000 original miles. Recent services include new brake lines, new Optima battery, new Dunlop tires, and full tune-up. The owner describes the car as "Easily a 9/10", with no oil or fluid leaks. Obviously a car like this is worth what somebody will pay for it. Is this price reasonable if the vehicle is in the condition described? Am I looking at a vehicle with much room for appreciation over the years? I would definitely be getting a PPI from my trusted Porsche mechanic. This car would be driven 5-7k miles over the next year, and would be my sole form of transportation. Let me know your thoughts, thanks much!

Old 01-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
I think it sounds pretty good. I had one just like the one you are looking at and it was very reliable and problem free. Buying the car for appreciation is not the way to go because it probably won't appreciate any and in fact it may depreciate but who cares its the joy of owning a porsche...lol

Byron

Old 01-11-2007, 04:24 PM
TMH
very true. Turns out the guy is the second owner, it has original paint and interior in great shape, and it has both the sunroof and A/C (which I will never use).

Old 01-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
Cool but A/C's are notorious for breaking. I think I had to do aftermarket or something cannot remember. Just remember you are buying an 83 and technology was not what it is today.

Byron

Old 01-11-2007, 05:01 PM
MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !
Sounds like an awesome car! Great color, and sounds perfect. May not appreciate as Byron says, but what else could you buy for under $20k that you would enjoy and appreciate half as much? Or that would get as many compliments. And what an awesome Daily Driver! If it all checks out, absolutely buy it.

Plus, there's always mods . . .

Old 01-11-2007, 06:35 PM
TMH
yes, it would be a very fun daily driver. Being that its such low mileage I would keep it original (hopefully ). Turns out his grandmother was the original owner, and he is quite firm on the price, we'll see, I will be looking at it tomorrow morning. More comments, suggestions, things to look for much appreciated

Old 01-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Check compression if you can. Also remember to check for smoke with start up. I think with the older cars and possibly newer (Not a mechanic but I am a brokanic) ones at start up there may be white smoke. I think white is ok and blue smoke is bad but cannot remember. Lastly there may be small oil drops when car sits and this was normal for my car but not sure if its good. Hopefully this helps and maybe the better knowledgeable guys can help you.

Byron

Old 01-11-2007, 08:53 PM
flatsixnut will become famous soon enough
That is really low miles for an 82. Sometimes that is worse than buying one with 3 times the miles than that. Make sure to get a PPI like you said. Also for that kind of money you should be getting a car that has already had the Carrera Chain Tensioner upgrade. That will cost you $2,000 for parts and labor(if you want piece of mind). With a car like that, it may have other things go wrong once you start putting miles on it...so be sure you can afford to fix them...these older cars are getting more expensive to repair, and parts will one day be really hard to get.

I say these cars will appreciate with more time. Soon you'll be able to pick up first run 996's for less than one of these.

Have you got some pics to share. Good luck.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:01 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Sounds great, price seems a little high for an SC but if it's perfect, it should be worth it. Like flatsix said, if the Carrera tensioner upgrade has not been done, do it. If it passes the PPI, buy it and post some pics for us!
Good luck.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:28 PM
TMH
Made an offer, but hes not ready to lower the price to what I want it for, says he'll call if it doesnt sell soon. Thanks for all the advice!

Old 01-15-2007, 05:40 PM
jpclinging is on a distinguished road
Sounds nice, I had an 83 and what a bullit proof car. Any Pics?

Old 01-15-2007, 06:39 PM
flatsixnut will become famous soon enough
Did you get a PPI done? How about some pics or a link to some.