Alum V8 930

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 04:43 PM
rebar is on a distinguished road
Alum V8 930

Hi. New here.

Thinking about buying a 930 with a blueprinted buick wildcat alum 215 in it. Looks like a well thought out project which needs another 5% to be complete. Nice. And lighter than stock.. Maybe someone here has seen it first hand?
Now you guys know its not a real Porsche and some might scoff at this car. But I'm not to worried about it. I wont race it, and just putt around on sunny sundays scopein out the tail. I will keep it. gotta love the sound of a V8 with headers.

So I guess what Im asking about is the body, and value of this 930. Since he hacked it up installing a radiator and V8 its not worth much. Maybe 5K? How hard is it finding parts for this body? Glass metal parts etc.
And the alum. 215, paint, assembly time etc.. is prolly worth at least another 6k.. Parts for the buick arnt to hard to find.

He wants 14k. If you were buying, what would you offer? I figuire 11k

Thanks

Attached Images   
Old 03-08-2010, 05:30 PM
topcarbon will become famous soon enough
I don't know much, but this I do know, I would not touch it.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:42 PM
SLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to behold
So is there a buick in your area running around with a p-engine too?? Whoa ....

Old 03-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Wow, tough crowd. Sacrilege?

Old 03-09-2010, 10:13 AM
No Name will become famous soon enoughNo Name will become famous soon enough
911/930 parts are still out there, so I wouldn't worry about that. I can tell you very few P folks will want any part of that creation. Personally, I think your money would be better spend/invested in a P-car with a P-car engine...

If that car were exceptionally clean, I would consider going as high as $10k, but only if I had a line on the factory parts to "fix" it. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
It really all depends on why you want this car/configuration and who did the work.
The second issue is likely more important than the first, so it begs the question, 'who did the work?'. If it was a private party w/o a blue-ribbon reputation, I would run, not walk away from it. Do not even look over your shoulder.
If this last issue passes muster, and I'd be stunned it if did, then it's fair to ask 'why do you want this thing?'. As a low cost TT, I suspect it's not a reasonable approach. It's it's a curious hobby car you seek, then it is completely up to what your hobby and wrenching interests will bear.
In general, I end up with the same conclusions as the other respondents, but feel like a bit of examination and introspection is due to yield the answer.
GL

Old 03-19-2010, 09:00 PM
bonfire is just really nicebonfire is just really nicebonfire is just really nicebonfire is just really nice
Meh, I would dive in. Screw what Enthusiasts, have to say. I drive VW's and the anger you get for making an old VW non stock is ridiculous. But it is your car, your money, your fun. This will have more power, and is lighter than stock. It is more unique, and kind of a cool swap. 11k isn't a huge amount of cash and I think that would be well bought. If the Buick breaks down, there are a hell of a lot more options than a regular Porsche motor.

Was the swap done at home? If it was, I bet it was done pretty well. Rare that guys who can afford to buy a 930 then swap into a non-stock motor don't tend to hack it, in hopes of resale.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Thanks everyone.

Why do I want this car? I love the look and its cheaper than a real Porsche. And IMO it sounds better.

The owner did the work. The car was bought with a seized motor.

I offered him 10K and he didn't respond.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:39 PM
topcarbon will become famous soon enough
Old 03-20-2010, 12:58 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
I have always liked the idea of an early 996 with a blown motor and putting in an LS1.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:09 PM
dtakenname is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by germeezy1
I have always liked the idea of an early 996 with a blown motor and putting in an LS1.
Here,
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1240791-2001-porsche-996-ls1-conversion.html

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-18-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:21 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Oh I know its been done they have done an LS1 in a Civic even!

Old 04-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Pipes will become famous soon enough
Why go to all this trouble to push a V8 into a 930 and then sell it??? What kind of numbers is it running....HP, 0-60, 1/4 mile...top end....??? can it outrun a really good 930??? The front end accomodations for the radiator are not my idea of pretty.....my opinion...Pipes

Old 04-18-2010, 09:05 PM
JOHNNYWISHBONE is on a distinguished road
Go for it!

Seen worse all-porsche mongrels. Buy it and play with it. If it blows up in a year, who cares? You got your moneys worth.
Jmho, jp

Old 04-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Kerr is an unknown quantity at this point
if you can get it cheap enough go for it, Im not sure it would run any better than a stock car, but the maintainace will be a lot cheaper, then again you dont see a lot of buick v8's so parts might be hard to find if its one of those od ball size motors..

by looing at 911 with the 911/30 turbo body, those cars seem to stop at 15K even the ones needing some tlc and paint... so as far as what the shell is worth id say quite a bit...

I have been looking at one my self, it has a built LS3 motor with twin turbos, the G50 trans bla bla bla...

I love that body style but right now i cant swing the up keep of the 930 cars...

I think the company that builds the parts for those cars is renegade hybrids or something along those lines...

Last edited by Kerr; 04-23-2010 at 01:41 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Alum V8 930