fair price for clean 944 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:47 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
fair price for clean 944 turbo

I drive an 09 997 but am interested in an 86' 944 turbo that I am in touch with for like $6k. It seems very clean and has 70k miles and is from the second owner, the first guy owned it 22 yrs. Are there any problem areas for these cars that I should know about? Are they reliable or basically a money pit of repairs waiting to happen?

Old 07-01-2009, 01:31 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
In terms of mileage that is a very good price. Are there records for recent big ticket items such as Timing belt/waterpump, clutch, etc? If those have not been done recently then you will at least have to pay the bill for the belts and waterpump job. Cars are notorious for timing belts breaking if they haven't been changed religiously.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:37 AM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by IAPorscheDoc
In terms of mileage that is a very good price. Are there records for recent big ticket items such as Timing belt/waterpump, clutch, etc? If those have not been done recently then you will at least have to pay the bill for the belts and waterpump job. Cars are notorious for timing belts breaking if they haven't been changed religiously.
+1 on the above as those are the most important things to look after. Besides that, make sure the clutch is good as a clutch replacement is also time consuming (expensive) though it will last a long time if properly driven once replaced. Check if possible the torque tube also.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:24 AM
supedgte is on a distinguished road
Seems like a decent amount still on the road today. I have also thought about buying one for fun.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:24 PM
zevyvoom is on a distinguished road
Dropping tranny for clutch and other peculiarities make the car kind needy $$ for what it is.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:51 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zevyvoom
Dropping tranny for clutch and other peculiarities make the car kind needy $$ for what it is.
Maintenance is maintenance on a 20 year old car. The key to buying one is to find something where everything has been done if you don't do your own work. The cars are very easy to make hp out of, and will hang with the new cars on the track. It is a lot more fun to push a car on the track when you know it isn't worth 70k+

Old 08-22-2009, 05:49 PM
streetwaves has much to be proud ofstreetwaves has much to be proud ofstreetwaves has much to be proud ofstreetwaves has much to be proud ofstreetwaves has much to be proud ofstreetwaves has much to be proud ofstreetwaves has much to be proud ofstreetwaves has much to be proud ofstreetwaves has much to be proud of
Definitely see when the big ticket items were last done. The clutch alone could run you a couple grand if it needs replacing soon.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Banned
ttlooking is on a distinguished road
Seems like a real good price with those low miles!

Old 02-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Banned
ttlooking is on a distinguished road
Just ck. maint. records like other have said.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:16 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Have you driven it yet? I test drove one that was in pretty good condition. It's performance was disappointing. Not fast. Corning was lukewarm.

I'd rather buy pay a little more ($10k) and get a first gen CLK430, or even RSX-S. You'll have better performance, comfort, reliability and resale value.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:11 PM
adeeois is on a distinguished road
$6K for a good condition 86 951 sounds like a ok buy. Be aware that no matter how well it passes an inspection today you run the risk of issues tomorrow. That's pretty much with any 25 year old car not just 951's. As previously mentioned, timing belt, water pump, and clutch are things to watch. 951's were fairly quick in stock form in their day, but not by today's standards. If you decide to bump the HP by chipping and dialing up the boost etc, expect nice performance gains and a good chance for a blown head gasket. I've owned a 86 & a 89 and think 951's are one of the best Porsche's ever. Go for it.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:51 PM
aixgelo78 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zevyvoom
lol...Ive never heard of a clutch job without dropping the trans

Old 03-01-2010, 07:00 PM
p944s1987 is on a distinguished road
I think that is a good price. Look at the maintenace records...

Old 03-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
The price is fair.

Like ANY car, (and specifically any classic Porsche) it will need some work now and then.

They can be a LOT of fun to drive compared to the dumbed down electonicly controlled newer cars. More of a driver experience.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Steve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really nice
I've been looking for a clean 944 turbo for my brother-in-law who wants an inexpensive Porsche to do some DE's and autocross. Great car for entering this arena. I think this price sounds pretty good for a clean turbo with that mileage.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: fair price for clean 944 turbo