951 Winter Progress...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Only 5SPEED
MPD47 will become famous soon enoughMPD47 will become famous soon enough
Not much of an update, no photos of what I did the other night. Worked on the engine a bit, put the rear suspension in. My spec flywheel showed up, unfortunately UPS must've played soccer with it, because it's damaged. So I sent Lindsey an email to ask if they want it back or should I send it to Spec. Hopefully that gets resolved ASAP as I'd like to drop the engine in next week.

Did a bit of cleanup, have some sanding/cleaning to do. Should be painting outside Monday.

Clutch refresh stuff showed up.

Rear suspension back together, with the floor out I can slip the torque tube in with the rear suspension in. Dont mind the mess, what I didnt vacuum up in the interior I literally was just pitching out the door.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Only 5SPEED
Ok, not much in the line of visual, been working on the wiring harness stuff a ton as that's the biggest thing left to do now. Hopefully that Spec flywheel thing gets taken care of in the next 3 days and I'll drop the short block in and put the transaxle in. I put the entire brake system back together, put all new hardware in the rear suspension and got it all torqued down (though I still have to put front and rear sways back on). Put the 968 lower brake ducts back on as I had pulled them to clean them up and put new hardware in when I refinished the fabcar arms. Also put the torque tube on and the heat shielding under the car. The door panels finally came back off as tomorrow I should be washing the engine bay and cleaning up the interior and masking the car off (might primer the interior tomorrow, we'll see how the weather and progress goes.) Anyway, just a few photos for tonight.

The only bits of the stock harness I'm using.

Engine bay starting to look a bit more complete, still missing the main act

Started moving/cleaning stuff.(Almost no light on this side of the garage so the bling bling orange lip on the wheels is almost invisible )

Awaiting a cage, floor, transaxle, and fuel cell.

Hopefully should start changing as of tomorrow.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Only 5SPEED

First time out of the garage since sometime in September. The car is soooo light (especially lacking an engine and transaxle). Literally I can push on one tire and get the car rolling at a fairly good clip, like wheeling a formula car around. Requires ZERO effort. Decided to use Jim's method and use a can of stripeeze I had sitting around. After getting it unfrozen poured it in the interior on the parts where the tar was. Let it sit for about an hour while I ate dinner and played a couple games of cards. Came back out, sprayed it down with the hose, vacuumed it all up and started going to town with the wire wheel on the die grinder at a lower speed. Worked like a charm, almost finished the drivers side when the die grinder finally kicked the bucket (was a cheap $10 harbor freight one that had been dieing for a few weeks now). So that's about as far as I got today. I did spend some time cleaning the engine bay and flattening out the frame rail heat shielding (more on that later). Still really need to pressure wash and scrub the engine bay though. We'll see how nice it is tomorrow. Supposed to snow Friday

Old 03-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Only 5SPEED
Spent a ton of time in the car today. Was sitting on the crossmember for awhile cleaning the engine bay, was taping off and masking other parts, put down the first coat of paint for the interior, etc, etc. Pics basically speak for themselves.

Man the weather is nice! Broke 55 today, was outside in short sleeves and loving it.

An odd view from below, I say odd because it's so rare to have so much natural light when viewing from this angle.

Engine bay while cleaning up the last of the grime.

Masking, more masking, and part way through coat #1.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:06 PM
Only 5SPEED
Doesnt look like much, but I worked on the car a ton today, did a few more coats on the interior when the humidity permitted later in the day. Worked on the engine bay, but still have some more scrubbing/clean up to do before I can start using adhesive to add the heat shielding, and pretty much sqaured the short block up. Need to finish cleaning the motor mount arms, put the AC delete bracket and alternator on, and plug up the oil returns for the balance shafts. Anyway, photos!

OoooO!

Doing mockups with painters tape and printer paper, total PITA.

Both frame rail pieces taped in, like I said, I still have some cleaning before I actually use the adhesive backing to put them in.

A bunch of photos were snapped of me looking unhappy in the engine bay while mocking up the bell housing section.

Again, just taped up, which is why it's hanging in the tunnel.

Oil pickup on, and hardware finally found (I know Chris is gonna give me **** as the hardware isnt all perfectly clean)

Got the new cam tower caps and cleaned them up to a near polish, thanks Jim (tool)!

Things coming along, gotta clean up the other mount and they go on tomorrow.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Only 5SPEED

And one more!

Old 03-15-2007, 09:17 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Great project. Keep the pics coming....

Old 03-16-2007, 06:58 PM
brent_strong will become famous soon enough
Interior should be going together tonight or tomorrow. Mike just picked up a set of Sparco Evo II (L) seats from me and a cable for the hatch.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Mk2GTiVR6Turbo is on a distinguished road
i think every website with a forum has the 951 project thread

Old 03-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Only 5SPEED
PT, it's on Rennlist, NYSpeed, 6speed, BRG, and AKA

Update:

Started working on the dash today, which required carefully pulling up the edge of the alcantara that is normally tucked behind all the switches/cover pieces in the center of the dash.

Modifying the side vents, this is purely for asthetics as they are no longer functional.

*Gasp* I just did a mod for form over function... I'm such a ricer.

Lower cut off, next up was trimming, which didnt take all to long.

Finished cleaning the motor mounts, put all new O rings on the Air/Oil seperate and attached that (after cleaning all the grime off of it). Forgot to seal up the balance shaft oil return holes, I'll need to do that tomorrow if I have time.

New manual hatch release cable, this is so I can open the hatch without using the key (which will be deleted), as I already deleted the motor for it awhile back. The lever will be mounted on the cage, passangers side.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Only 5SPEED

Starting to come together

Old 03-20-2007, 10:05 PM
Only 5SPEED
Was going to get the engine in, but remembered that I never finished the balance shaft delete. Ooops! Better now then a week from now with it in the car going oh $#@*

So some extremely light gauge aluminum was cut up and covered with JB... err Epoxy.... It'll do the job.

Clutch stuff waiting go on. Spec 5# flywheel showed up, undamaged this time

Changed the damn bearings on the clutch release, getting them in was easy, getting them out... major PITA.

Bling bling. Not just mocked up anymore, it's on the car.

Got my splitter back from Josh (lafengas), all reinforced with carbon where it normally falls aparts and splits open.

See:

Little overview of the current mess. Hopefully the engine will go back in tomorrow

Old 03-21-2007, 07:06 PM
racerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond reputeracerbvd has a reputation beyond repute
No that is sweet, you should by my 88S and finish it!!

Old 03-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Only 5SPEED
Hah, to many projects already! Have you posted it on rennlist?

Old 03-21-2007, 09:42 PM
Only 5SPEED

New pilot bearing and rear main seal.

Spec flywheel

There is a big relief. The head is just on there for the meet as I still need to send it out to get refreshed, but didnt want to put a rush on the guy who is doing the work for me. Have a bunch of stuff to button up tomorrow, bodywork, put the transaxle in, etc. But getting the block in is a huge step forward.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 951 Winter Progress...