PDK do not complain, you are lucky to get it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 12:01 AM
Dark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really nice
PDK do not complain, you are lucky to get it

PDK as standard means you dont have to buy it as an option. Would you go back to non-ABS braking? I love the manual, but this is the new manual, you will have control of gear selection and lighting fast perfect shifts, If its good enough for F-1 its good enough for me. If you want the manual, dont sell your old car, if you are looking at this car I know you can afford to keep both. There will always be a market for older more mechanical things, l have a Nikon D800 camera i also own a Nikon F4s film camera, just for the mechanics of it.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:17 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dark Knight
PDK as standard means you dont have to buy it as an option. Would you go back to non-ABS braking? I love the manual, but this is the new manual, you will have control of gear selection and lighting fast perfect shifts, If its good enough for F-1 its good enough for me. If you want the manual, dont sell your old car, if you are looking at this car I know you can afford to keep both. There will always be a market for older more mechanical things, l have a Nikon D800 camera i also own a Nikon F4s film camera, just for the mechanics of it.
On a base Turbo the sport chrono (must have option for a variety of reasons ) is 4+K . So unless one buys a Turbo "S" then the PDK isn't a freebie .

Old 05-07-2013, 09:49 AM
steveliu will become famous soon enough
I love the PDK. Personally, that's the one I choice.
But I just hope Porsche would offer the manual as an option.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
It's not an "option" because Porsche has increased price and accounted for it there.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:46 AM
UBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really nice
I daily drive a 997TTS (and have owned three manual tranny 911s before that) and the fact of the matter is that a manual would be useless on the 997TTS (which is why it was not offered) and would be similarly useless on the 991TT and TTS. The shift from first to second is just too quick for a manual at full throttle. You'd have to clutch almost immediately after hitting the gas. That's the reason there is no manual. These cars have grown beyond the manual transmission.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:35 AM
991TT is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by UBoat Commander
I daily drive a 997TTS (and have owned three manual tranny 911s before that) and the fact of the matter is that a manual would be useless on the 997TTS (which is why it was not offered) and would be similarly useless on the 991TT and TTS. The shift from first to second is just too quick for a manual at full throttle. You'd have to clutch almost immediately after hitting the gas. That's the reason there is no manual. These cars have grown beyond the manual transmission.

100% Right

Old 05-09-2013, 11:56 AM
No.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really nice
I have driven PDK on both the 991S and now the new Cayman S and I can tell you that it is fast. I was thoroughly impressed when I drove it on the 991S. It is so fast. The Cayman, I was less impressed but that was probably due to the lack of power compared to the 991S. All-in-all, even though I love driving manual, I would definitely get PDK on my next P-car.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:45 PM
tipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud of
you can incorporate things to make the manual work even in these insanely fast accelerations, and still have full manual control when full attack isnt called for.

ZR-1, ZL1, and the c7 stingray have no lift shift, launch control, etc. new 7speeds manuals from porsche have rev match on downshifts.

the argument here, if it is logical, is made moot when you consider that a manual and be made to perform at a high rate of performance with a slight loss in performance.

you get a manual in lesser models because what? its a slow technology?

if thats the case, why was the 997 gt3, gt2, gt3rs, gt2 rs, manual?

if my 335i with no lift shift (done by aftermarket ignition control btw), can do it for relatively low cost, porsche imho has no excuse.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
How much faster is a 997TTS from 1500rpm to redline in first gear compared to a 997TT?

Or a GT2 RS for that matter....

Old 05-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Bagger has a spectacular aura aboutBagger has a spectacular aura aboutBagger has a spectacular aura about
I'm sad to see the new 991 TT/TTS will not offer a manual shifter. But, I'm not surprised. Porsche is doing a lot of things that are 'required', or 'necessary'. I saw the same thing when the 993 became the 996.

I was not all that happy then either.

Yeah, I understand the quickness of the PDK, the fuel economy (who really cares in a car of $160K+?), and the lack of clutching "stuff" and technique. But ...

I have to tell ya, I'm not all that keen on such stuff. I drove a 991S some time ago. The car was BIGGER, quicker than the previous 997S, and it had PDK. The car was more comfy and had an edgy feel compared to the 997 car.

But ...

I was not all that fascinated with the car. Plus, at 400 vs 510 ponies my 997TT has, I could not do that loss. Even for a couple years.

I'm wondering if 520-560hp in the new TT cars is worth trading up? I'm getting older, Buick older ... and perhaps I should look at PDK?

Perhaps not.

I could chip my car for less than 3K and have 560+. I'm not sure spending upwards of $190K for a TT cab would spin my wheels at this point in my life. I'm not sure I need to spend that sort of cash for a DD and park it in the local lot with the Hondas, Fords, and trucks.

I'll have to drive one ... and see if I get wood. We will see.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:51 AM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
I have a 700hp 997TT. It is absolutely true that 1st gear gets to redline almost immediately. Getting it just right is part of the fun though. Makes me feel that I "earned" the win against the guy next to me that simply pushed on the GO pedal.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:53 AM
eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !eurotom Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dark Knight

What the point of this post, "you are lucky to get it"??? Whos lucky? Certainly not me because if this is the only available gearbox for high end P-cars going forward Porsche has lost me a a future customer, along with many others. PDK/dual clutch tranny's are amazingly quick no doubt about it but it should not be the only option period.

RWS, active aero, additional weight on GT cars. It's all about about revenue now for Porsche. They need to hire the CEO of Abercrombie and Fitch.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:33 AM
NJSPEEDER will become famous soon enough
I have driven plenty of manual and paddle cars and to me it boils down to whatever you think is more fun to drive if the intention is to have a street car. Personally I prefer manuals and the increased personal involvement in the driving experience.

-Tim

Old 05-10-2013, 01:00 PM
boostfiend is on a distinguished road
It's more of a slap in your face too the customer, it costs them peanuts too offer a manual trans even if you we're to charge a premium for one some people would opt for it reasonably priced. I'd gladly pay 4-5k premium to a get a manual on PDK only car.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:56 PM
ThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to all
I love my manual 997TT, but I also have a Panamera with PDK.

This phrase sums up all arguments: "These cars have grown beyond the manual transmission"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PDK do not complain, you are lucky to get it