Glass sunroof advise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 06:13 PM
porscher911 is on a distinguished road
Glass sunroof advise

I want to go for the glass sunroof , but i noticed that couple of members have initially chosen it then changed their order to a normal sunroof , inaddition i heard that glass sunroofs in generale are not practical as it may infiltrate some noise at high speed . i would appreciate your advice as i will be finalizing my order hopefully next week .

Old 06-08-2013, 03:03 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
I have a 997.1 Targa which has a glass roof and I love it. I don't know if the 991 glass roof will be the same or not. No noise from the road. The only noise I get is if I drive it on cold winter days and it may have a squeak here or there when the temperature falls below freezing. Not a problem you should have in Dubai!

Old 06-08-2013, 05:13 AM
Dubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really niceDubai_TT is just really nice
I personally changed my mind about it because it would just add more heat in the car and since I hardly ever use the sunroof (I have it on a range rover and cayenne) I decided to go against.

Also I read some articles online about people getting rattles and creaks from them, so added to my conviction. That being said I did also read opposite experiences, so that may not reallybe an issue.

Lastly, on a silver car i didnt think the black roof looked good (especially with the pillars still in body color). But thats just me.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:40 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
One thing I like about the glass roof in my Targa is not having to have it open to enjoy the light. I rarely open the roof, so the climate is consistent, no noise, no wind. The targa has an electric retractable sunshield for when I'm not in the car if its out in the sun. I rarely use it because the tint on the glass works fine and I doubt the car is much hotter inside from being in the sun than a coupe.

I especially enjoy the glass roof at night driving downtown it has an elegant feel with the lights of the city shining in. When I drove a friend's coupe 997 TT, coming from my targa, it felt like I was sitting in a cave. It's super cool in the rain too.

The easiest way to make the decision on what you like is to find a targa and drive it for a day then drive a coupe. Tell your dealer you are trying to make that determination, he might be able to find a targa, coupes are as common as flies. That way you can experience the two roofs side by side. Another plus is that anyone who sees that roof on your car will know its a 991 TT immediately, because a glass roof has never been offered on a turbo before. Again the only time I experience any noise is in the coldest winter weather.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
One thing I like about the glass roof in my Targa is not having to have it open to enjoy the light. I rarely open the roof, so the climate is consistent, no noise, no wind. The targa has an electric retractable sunshield for when I'm not in the car if its out in the sun. I rarely use it because the tint on the glass works fine and I doubt the car is much hotter inside from being in the sun than a coupe.

I especially enjoy the glass roof at night driving downtown it has an elegant feel with the lights of the city shining in. When I drove a friend's coupe 997 TT, coming from my targa, it felt like I was sitting in a cave. It's super cool in the rain too.

The easiest way to make the decision on what you like is to find a targa and drive it for a day then drive a coupe. Tell your dealer you are trying to make that determination, he might be able to find a targa, coupes are as common as flies. That way you can experience the two roofs side by side. Another plus is that anyone who sees that roof on your car will know its a 991 TT immediately, because a glass roof has never been offered on a turbo before. Again the only time I experience any noise is in the coldest winter weather.
Thanks DON for your generous reply , that was so helpful for me .

Old 06-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Dubai_TT
I personally changed my mind about it because it would just add more heat in the car and since I hardly ever use the sunroof (I have it on a range rover and cayenne) I decided to go against.

Also I read some articles online about people getting rattles and creaks from them, so added to my conviction. That being said I did also read opposite experiences, so that may not reallybe an issue.

Lastly, on a silver car i didnt think the black roof looked good (especially with the pillars still in body color). But thats just me.
Thanks Dubai , well am going for the white color which i guess makes the best contrast with the Glass sunroof however your points are taken in consideration and mostly i will be going for a regular sunroof as am located in riyadh now and the weather here is terrible

Old 06-08-2013, 08:14 PM
eddtiff is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by porscher911
Thanks Dubai , well am going for the white color which i guess makes the best contrast with the Glass sunroof however your points are taken in consideration and mostly i will be going for a regular sunroof as am located in riyadh now and the weather here is terrible
I am waiting to put my order in and I am too going for white with the glass sunroof. The contrast will hopefully look awesome.

Riyadh has much sunshine right? The glass roof has an inner fabric on the inside which is 30% transparent (like a mesh). If you get a lot of heat during the day, it might get warm in the interior a bit. This is just a guess cos my brother has the same kind of setup on his Mercedes.